The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

side & base edge angles

Hey All,

I was comparing my new (Signal OG) and old (2000 Burton Custom) side and base angles.  According to the manufacturers, the OG has 90 degree factory default angles and the Custom has 1 degree bevels.  From what I’ve read, 1 deg or so is pretty standard for most riding types, and only rarely would you use 90 degree angles.  Do you reckon I’ll be ok to keep the OG default 90 degree angles or should I bevel it?  I’m not keen to bevel unless I need to because to restore it back to 90 means you then have to take a layer off the base.

Cheers,

Mud

Hey Mud,

Are ya sure that the base angle hasn’t got a 1 or 2 degree bevel????

Place a straight edge across the base to confirm!!!!!

Should normally find that the 90 degree is in reference to the side of the edge in relation to the base!!!!!

Yea I’m pretty sure Signal boards have a 0 degree bevel. I remember reading/hearing an interview where Dave Lee (owner) said that.

Interesting.
I’ve never seen a board with no bevel.
Usually it goes         1 degree = All Mountain   2 degrees = Park       3 degrees = Street   or something similar to that depending on the board itself.

Signals website doesn’t show any information about the edge bevel for their OG boards so I can’t say for sure without seeing the board.

I don’t want to push u into altering your brand new baby but no bevel seems a little strange.
I would do what mizu suggested and check the edges yourself with a straight edge.
If they really are 90 degrees then you have a hell of an aggressive edge on that board! Maybe it’s good? Try riding it before you think about beveling it.
But you CAN NOT use this board on rails or boxes, so please don’t try big surprise

For ripping around the mountain though, I would imagine it would hold an edge through carves like a demon.

yeah I was a bit surprised when they emailed me that info and I’ve just emailed them back again to confirm and also whether they have any recommendations for me.  I reckon I will definitely ride it before taking to it with the file.  i don’t ride boxes or rails anyway, so no great loss there.  I do still plan to de-tune it a bit though, as the edges feel pretty sharp all the way around.

edit: yeah i’ll try to confirm with a straight-edge, although it’s currently covered in a thick layer of wax for summer!  Maybe i’ll do that when i give it a scrape-down in early winter 2012.

Mizu Kuma - 01 October 2011 02:23 AM

Hey Mud,

Should normally find that the 90 degree is in reference to the side of the edge in relation to the base!!!!!

so you’re saying it might still have a bevel but the side edge is also bevelled, leaving the edge angle still at 90?  I’ve read about that setting, not sure if it’s what they meant.  Here’s their direct response:

Our side angles are at 90degrees for the OG.

1 degree base and 1 degree side can also mean 90 degrees angle so does 0 and 0 and 2 and 2. If you want just take em to a shop and ask for a 1 degree base and side bevel

Mudhoney - 01 October 2011 03:01 AM
Mizu Kuma - 01 October 2011 02:23 AM

Hey Mud,

so you’re saying it might still have a bevel but the side edge is also bevelled, leaving the edge angle still at 90?  I’ve read about that setting, not sure if it’s what they meant.  Here’s their direct response:

Our side angles are at 90 degrees for the OG.

It runs at 90 degrees to the base of the board (not the base of the edge)

I use 88 degrees to the base of my board, with a 2 degree bevel on the metal base edge (the angle of the metal edge in relation to the base of the board). This will give the actual metal edge a 90 degree angle between the metal base edge and the metal side edge!!!!! This is the sharp bit that bites the snow, and the sharper the edge (lower the angle) the easier it bites!!!!!

So ya Omni, with a side angle at 90 degrees and most likely a base angle of 2 degrees, will have an actual metal edge at 92 degrees!!!!!

This edge is not as “sharp” as that of an edge at 88 degrees with a base bevel of 2 degrees (=90°), and therefore less aggressive when carving, yet more forgiving on boxes/rails etc !!!!!

Hope this makes sense, Mud???? (Unless the Omni really does have a 0 degree base angle, then I’m confused)

Yeah thanks Mizu and skip, I do understand (I’d be a fail engineer otherwise..)

I’ll just have to wait on Signal to tell me what it really is, or try to measure it.

Sharp edges for carving, rounded for rails; everything else is just marketing BS IMO.

Well, a bevel is not a marketing BS. Whatever you set your bevel to, you can make it sharp or rounded.

For people that don’t wish to play with their edges (99% of people), the angles can have a significant impact on how a board rides!!!!!

Mudhoney - 01 October 2011 11:10 AM

Yeah thanks Mizu and skip, I do understand (I’d be a fail engineer otherwise..)

I’ll just have to wait on Signal to tell me what it really is, or try to measure it.

Cool beans!!!!!  cool smile

AJ2theC - 01 October 2011 12:10 PM

Sharp edges for carving, rounded for rails; everything else is just marketing BS IMO.

just ride the snowboard. it’s snowboarding, not rocket science!

Gamblor - 02 October 2011 05:29 AM
AJ2theC - 01 October 2011 12:10 PM

just ride the snowboard. it’s snowboarding, not rocket science!

If ya get ya angles wrong in rocket science, bad, bad shit is sure to happen!!!!!

well, put it this way: with the amount of noobs in the sport, do you think board companies would sell boards that weren’t rideable without tuning?