The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Digging out a half pipe

Found this today on Winter Park Facebook page

I have never seen a dug out half pipe before.

Do they do this so they can get it operational quicker than wait for a lot of snow to fall?

Wonder why we don’t do this in Aus then (national parks doesn’t permit it?)

ozgirl - 30 September 2011 12:52 AM

Found this today on Winter Park Facebook page

I have never seen a dug out half pipe before.

Do they do this so they can get it operational quicker than wait for a lot of snow to fall?

Wonder why we don’t do this in Aus then (national parks doesn’t permit it?)

I’m pretty sure the whole National Parks thing is the reason why we can’t do it here.  Would be good if we could do it though, barely ever get to ride pipe.

i have always though that PB could have a removable manmade frame work as the base for the pipe then just build on it

would save a lot of snowmaking and would cause the NSWNP to lose their minds either

All the big resorts have permanent halfpipe shapes built into the mountain. Halfpipes require so much snow to build and maintain, it would be super hard to build a full sized halfpipe without the permanent shape.

Buller has a trench already dug where they base their pipe, but rarely do they get enough snow and it lasts long enough to shape the pipe. Not a big pipe i have to say.

Thredbo used to have one dug in (years ago) where the bag jump is now. There was also one accessed by Easy Rider T-bar - it was also dug in.

I don’t by the whole Nat parks excuse. They move so much dirt around on Friday flat to build a riderX track for mtb every year, the lift systems, snow making….... etc, etc.

rider26 - 30 September 2011 01:19 AM

All the big resorts have permanent halfpipe shapes built into the mountain. Halfpipes require so much snow to build and maintain, it would be super hard to build a full sized halfpipe without the permanent shape.

yeah thats what i would have thought.

What size size does a half pipe have to be to be called a “super pipe”. I am pretty sure that Perisher claim that theirs is the only one in Australia (a super pipe).

I wonder how much it costs to build??? (snow making wise?)

I think it would have to be at least 18 feet. Most competition pipes are 22 feet now.

rider26 - 30 September 2011 03:07 AM

I think it would have to be at least 18 feet. Most competition pipes are 22 feet now.

Where is that measurement taking from??

(sorry for the annoying questions. But surely i am not the only one who doesn’t know?)

^^^ Im with you on this oz grin

would it be this??

^^^ Whatever you posted isnt working

hmm i can see it?

Weird.

Is twitter blocked at your work? cause i posted it to twitter to get the link. I can’t upload any other way.

Can you see it on your phone?

I’m pretty sure Twitter does work here. I can’t try on my phone cause I have no service at work, devo

Don’t be devo - it is just a silly graph drawing thing i did in PowerPoint to guess where the measurement many be.