The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Burton AK 2L Cyclic Question

To anyone who has seen or tried the 2012 cyclic. Do they have regular side pockets like most jackets? Or is the pocket just the one near the chest? I think Enn Zedd has one of these jacket.

If I remember correctly, I’m almost certain they have the side pockets. They are just hidden behind the flaps (for water resistance) so you can’t see them in the images.

Thanks Jez. Thinkin of pickin one up this season in the afterburn colorway =).

We won’t be losing you in the fog in that colour. wink

I’ll be buying an AK Stagger Jacket. I was very happy with the last one I owned. This colourway:

not a fan of the new insulation in the ‘12 stagger. My local shop has these in stock already. I was meh about the colour too (I like the internet/catalogue colours of the one you posted). In real life it’s more of a textile feel, rather than smooth like previous years.

I picked up the ‘11 stagger instead.

Yeah I’m not a fan of the colours (so dull and boring), I thought this was the best of the lot.

The insulation is really light though, yeah? I’m not a fan of insulation in Gore-tex jackets, however I’m guessing it’s super thin and I much prefer the cut (neck and hood especially) of the Stagger Jacket.

Did you check out the new wrist thumb-loop thing? Looks interesting.

it’s this one or I might just go with the black one.

How warm is the cyclic jacket cuz they seem pretty thin?

Actually the stagger in black is also pretty good

The Cyclic is just a shell, no insulation whatsoever. Warmth is determined by your layering.

I really want this one since last year. [link removed, added photo - rider26] but it’s only available in L. The only one I can find on the net.

Rider, by thumb loop, do you mean the pow grip? It works awesome for me. Total BS that they don’t put it in other jackets - only in the stagger, the lz down and the hover. They cyclic SHOULD have it wtf. But I got the stagger and i have it so I’m happy. Mind you, I haven’t actually tried it yet.

Yeah, it’s the Pow Grip. Looks like a great idea.

What didn’t you like about the insulation? How thick/warm/heavy is it? Only in the chest/back?

i just opened the jacket up and looked inside but didn’t try it on. If I remember correctly it felt heavier. It’s not super thick but it’s like 5cm thick. I think it would be fine in winter obviously but would suck in spring when a shell is better. Wouldn’t be so good for hiking but whatever, you would just wear a thinner first layer or fleece under it.
I think next week I’ll be able to drop back in. I’ll take some photos then.

Hmm, that’s definitely thicker than I want to be wearing. I don’t know why they added insulation to an otherwise excellent Gore-Tex shell. Unless it’s super cold I usually just wear a midweight first layer then the shell. Plus I have a down jacket for crazy cold days. I might just have to use my old AK shell for Spring.

Did you have a look at the Hover Jacket?

no, they didn’t have it in yet

Yo skipper, I’ve just seen this!

The Cyclic does indeed have side pockets. It’s a 2L so has a mesh liner and that’s about it, i.e. no insulation. There’s actually a mesh chest pocket inside as well, so you have 4 total. It’s a light yet burly, functional jacket. I like it. Not sure the move away from Riri zips was a good one, I had a few issues with the YKK waterproof zips catching a little bit but that seems to have gone away.

I’m away from almost all my beloved shred gear for about 6 weeks, but if you have any other questions ask away and I’ll try to remember.

Side pocket shot:

Just another jacket to throw in the mix. I have this, it doesnt have a front zipper which I like as it eliminates water getting thru.

same as the one in the pic. got it for $170 goretex is da bomb