The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Japan 2011 / 2012

hey guys!!  I was in Hakuba in February this year and had a ball.  There was soooo much snow I couldnt believe it.  I went with about 23 people so it was dirt cheap. 
During the week it was like a ghost town with just piles of snow and never a lift cue.  For the 10 days we were there we had 3 dumps of snow, the largest was 50cm.  I highly recommend looking into this region as it is quieter and cheaper than Niseko.

Jeff. - 24 September 2011 07:36 AM

hey guys!!  I was in Hakuba in February this year and had a ball.  There was soooo much snow I couldnt believe it.  I went with about 23 people so it was dirt cheap. 
During the week it was like a ghost town with just piles of snow and never a lift cue.  For the 10 days we were there we had 3 dumps of snow, the largest was 50cm.  I highly recommend looking into this region as it is quieter and cheaper than Niseko.

I always thought Niseko / North Island was the go, cause that’s what everyone raves about. But if the snow is basically just as good down south, its cheaper, and less crowded, seems like a goer.

Anyone going to hakuba? Is it any good?

Dan83 - 24 September 2011 09:14 AM
Jeff. - 24 September 2011 07:36 AM

I always thought Niseko / North Island was the go, cause that’s what everyone raves about. But if the snow is basically just as good down south, its cheaper, and less crowded, seems like a goer.

Hokkaido has the pow, but Honshu has the mountains!!!!!

do u guys know any good deals going on at the moment, as i am planing my trip to japan around 26th january ? any help is appreciated.

Price around but Skimax are giving Boardworld members 5% off any of their packages. Details here: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/2779/ (the discount doesn’t include airfares).

I posted this in another thread a while ago. Re-posting here for anyone wondering about Hakuba.

—————————————-

I went to Japan in 2008 and spent three weeks in Hakuba. I can’t tell you about Hokkaido but I will tell you about my experience in Hakuba. I chose Hakuba over the Hokkaido resorts for a few reasons.

Firstly the mountains in Hakuba are large in comparison to other mountains in Japan. Hakuba is in the Japanese Alps, so the runs are steeper and longer, which is probably why Nagano was chosen as a host city for the Olympics. The Olympic downhill ski race was held on Happo One (one of the Hakuba mountains), and they still have the starting area in the orginal spot. The runs are long and the terrain is really good.

Hakuba is a town surrounded by seven or eight mountain resorts, so there is a lot of variety. Every mountain is within close distance to the town and they run quick shuttle buses to practically all of the mountains. Your lift passes work on any of the mountains (but you have to stay on the chosen mountain for the day).

Hakuba is less ‘touristy’ then somewhere like Niseko. A lot of Australians go to the popular resorts in Hokkaido, so if that’s something you want to avoid, then Hakuba could be a really good option. There were days when we only saw a few people on the moutains. We had wide open runs to ourselves during the week. We would ride the trees all day, in waist deep powder, and the only tracks in there all day were ours. If you want more of a party scene, then Niseko is the place for that.

While Hokkaido (north island of Japan) gets more snow and better quality snow than Honshu (main island of Japan), the snow I experienced in Hakuba was still some of the deepest and driest powder I have experienced anywhere in the world. I was literally up to my chest in the lightest snow you could imagine. That said, I do believe Hakkaido is more consistent for super light powder.

All I can say is I had an amazing time in Hakuba and I would definitely return. The town is awesome, the terrain and snow is excellent, the people are lovely, and you will definitely have a great time. I didn’t visit the snow monkeys because I didn’t want to lose a day on the mountain, but my cousin went and he said it was incredible.

Don’t forget to spend some time in Tokyo; it is a city that must be experienced.

Here are some photos of my time in Hakuba. If you have any questions just let me know. smile

Empty slopes

Hakuba Valley

Untouched

Fresh lines

Trees

Storm after storm…

No roads

My happy shadow

The valley and avalanche barriers

My cousin, waist deep…

Onsen

WOW WOW i cant freaking wait till january i am so stoked

Feb for me Lanox, Hakuba FTW!

TJ have u been in japan before ?

Rider - did you have any issues doing trees etc?

We got out passes yanked in what we thought was an innocent area. Day number one and were weren’t off to a good start.

Billy - I serious think you should consider doing both. I did 5 days in Hakuba, a day at the snow monkeys, 3 days in Tokyo and 6 days in Niseko.

Pretty sure that Billy has already been to Nis!!!!!

She was wearin a Grand Hirafu tee at the Shred!!!!! And there’s only one place that ya get those from!!!!!  dance

ozgirl - 26 September 2011 04:39 AM

Rider - did you have any issues doing trees etc?

We got out passes yanked in what we thought was an innocent area. Day number one and were weren’t off to a good start.

Billy - I serious think you should consider doing both. I did 5 days in Hakuba, a day at the snow monkeys, 3 days in Tokyo and 6 days in Niseko.

ozgirl where would you recommend to go i am planing my trip as we speak ??? are you going this season.

My next trip to Japan will def include More of Tokyo, with time in Kyoto, Hakuba and back to Niseko and Rusutsu for sure!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 26 September 2011 04:56 AM

Pretty sure that Billy has already been to Nis!!!!!

She was wearin a Grand Hirafu tee at the Shred!!!!! And there’s only one place that ya get those from!!!!!  dance

Yeah I know she has (man Mizu you are missing out not being on facebook wink )

She can’t decide whether to go back to Nis or try something new. I am suggesting she do both!

Lanox - It really depends on what you are after. I am going to Niseko for two weeks 24th feb - 12th Mar 2012). I wouldn’t go to Hakuba for a whole two weeks (IMO - others may disagree) Go to other areas if you don’t wan to go to Niseko - or the North Island (Hokkiado). Staying in the south is def cheaper, no extra flights. So Shiga Kogen or somewhere like that.

Hakuba is good and there are a lot of resorts in the area but you have to travel to them. It is a bit like staying at Kindy and travelling each day to the resort (without the convenience of your own car with gear in it)

If I was to go back I would stay near Echo Land for the nightlife. We stayed Hakuba Highmont Hotel. It has it own Onsen which was nice! They have a shuttle bus and they will drop you at most places. They drop you at Saka Lift in the morning, and will pick you up at the end of the day if you ring them, but there is also a secret ski in/ home track that pretty much brings you to the door of the Highmont. But Wadano is quiet, for nightlife. We went to The Pub a couple of nights and it was fine but that was it. There was a dance party tent thing but we didn’t make it there. Other than that we used the local bus network to get around, and the occasional cab if we were out past the bus ending times.