The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Flux Bindings 2011/12

A bit of a long shot but does anybody have knowledge of this product line and if so what would they recommend when it comes to a binding that’s going to be used for the park mostly plus some general riding…

cartel EST bindings are quiet good for me, i use them for both, good cushioning and response rating is quiet good. have a read around but i think its also dependent on how you ride.

Yeah i have set of FLux bindings as well they are nice and comfy for me how ever for some reason i really prefer cartel est bindings, but i don’t think you can go wrong either way they are both extremely good quality how ever the set that i had they don’t seem to absorb the shock that well.

Hey Aidy,

IMHO go the SF45’s, they are an all rounder that have swappable asymmetrical highbacks, so ya can interchange them right there on the hill, whether ya in the park or just about to bomb the mountain!!!!!

If ya want a real soft and flexible binder,then the RK30 will have ya jibbin handrails like a street urchin, but will let ya down come the pipe or bigger booters and slopes!!!!!

Hope this helps mate!!!!!

Aidy, I’ve been riding the DS45s since last season. It doesn’t look like the DS45s are in the 2012 line-up, however I have been very impressed with the construction and features in the Flux range. I think you will be very happy with Flux bindings.

If you want an awesome park binding, check out the DS30s. I’ll also see if I can get Amine on here. He is the guru and I’m sure he will give you the info you need.

Yeah, I was gonna rate the DS45’s also, but noticed that they are now out of the range!!!!!

With the SF45’s havin the assym highback ya can change the flex in the binder to suit!!!!! A good option to have for an all rounder!!!!!

Dan83 was ridin with my super diamonds at the shred and he had no trouble playin around the small booters and box’s!!!!! (Super Diamonds are now called the DMCC, and are the stiffest binder in the FLUX range)

Are you a big lad, Aidy???? What binders are ya comin off, and what did ya like/hate about them????

seems they did a lot on weight reduction on new Ds30

Alpha base is 16% lighter than the old genetic base
Alpha high back 35% lighter

Hey AIDY - the DS45 is still in the line (so to speak), but it has been ‘tweaked’ and updated into the DS30.

I am riding the DS30 now, and I think it has come along way since the DS45.  Here’s my 3 cents…
- the new DS30 alpha baseplate gives you the same smooth and damp flex pattern that flux is renowned for, just with 16% less weight than the DS45 baseplate (the stiffness is very similar in both).
- the urethane highback on the DS45 has been replaced with the new alpha highback (nylon) on the DS30.  it is more responsive than the urethane, but still very very comfortable (and laterally forgiving!).
- and…the new toe strap is so solid.  It fits boots of any shape. 

in summation - the DS30 is still our top end park binding, but it now performs even better (than the DS45 did) all round the mountain.

Thanks amine, that’s good to know.

Aidy, in that case let me give you a bit of feedback on the DS45s. The flex pattern is perfect for all mountain and park. They aren’t ridiculously stiff, but they are stiff enough underfoot for any freeriding/carving. The highbacks are responsive forward and back, but nice and soft laterally. I know you’re not a big guy and our riding styles are similar, so I think you will be stoked with the new DS30s. As already said, they would be perfect for the park.

I’m not sure how they could have improved the toe strap because it was absolutely perfect in my opinion. Super comfortable and it fits over the front of my boot like a glove. The rachets are top notch quality and the binding is very adjustable (all tool-free). Overall the quality, performance, and feel of the binding is impressive.

Here’s a few photos of my DS45s…

WOW!  I thought I’d be struggling for a responce on this one!  Thank you guys so much for taking the time.  I think I’m going to go for a pair of DS30’s.  Lanox, thanks for your comments, I had a pair of cartels, not est as I don’t ride a burton, I got along fine with them but i’m looking to try something new to see what’s out there and I’ve heard many good things about flux.  Mizu, I think if I was going for a do it all board i’d follow your advice on the SF45 but the fact that this is my second deck (park pickle) i’m gonna go the way of the park binding.  Amine and Rider thanks for the info and photos you’ve saved me a lot of time in indecision!

I know you’re set on Flux but looking at the baseplate padding, it reminded me of how much I like the fullbeds on Burton’s.
Have a look in a shop at least at the re:flex bindings (cartel, malavita, prophecy). They have the fullbed and the re:flex tech which gives a regular binder an ‘est’ feel. The binder flexes with the board more.

The only catch is you do not have any lateral adjustments available. So, if your stance is right over the holes then no problem. If you adjust your binders forwards or back at all then you can’t. If they didn’t have that shortcoming they would be perfect. I love my cartel re:flex’s but could not use them on lib techs, and I think capita and k2’s (I forget now). Different companies have different standard stance widths.

Another binding is the contact pro but I don’t like Union so you didn’t hear that from me.
Anyways, not saying Flux sucks, just saying check out the re:flex’s before you make your purchase

Good call Aidy!!!!!

The DS30’s bolted onto a park pickle as a jib setup sounds like a great match!!!!!

I will have no doubt that ya will love the FLUX!!!!!  shaka

Thanks for the input Gamblor I’ll certainly check them out before handing over any dough.

Yeah as Mizu said I used his Flux’s. I think they were the top of the line and one of the stiffer Flux bindings. I really liked them. to be honest though they felt much like my Cartel’s, which is a good thing. I tried some other Flux bindings (sorry don’t know which ones they were, Mizu might know???), and on a stiffer board. I found the whole package to be a bit of a disaster tbh. Mind you on a super noodle board the softer Flux bindings would have probably been fine. As always I guess it depends what sort of riding you are wanting them for. The softer Flux’s were similar, but probably softer, than the Burton Custom bindings, which I also tested last week.

I think they were the RK30s, Dan.

Oh ok, thanks. I guess they are the softer/cheaper model below DS30’s then?

Yeah the RK30s are softer.