The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Who is going to Japan this season

Johno there is a lot of info in this post - https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/2976/P30/

I am trying to remember the name of where I stayed in Hakuba and also fav restaurants etc for you.

ozgirl - 20 September 2011 04:50 AM

I am heading to Niseko with a large group of friends.

We went to Hakuba and the last week of Feb in 2009 then up to Niseko and they did not have a great season in Hakuba that year. Where did you get your stats from?

Recorded snow depths are list by Japan Meteorology Agency http://www.jma.go.jp/en/amedas/000.html?elementCode=4. The data is collected is daily and posted each week during the season . You are correct about feb but over the whole season last year Hakuba recorded the highest snow-depth in 2011 (2.6m) and 2010 (2.6m) on the main island. Between March 1 to 12, when I was there in 2010 it dump 1.3 meters and again in 2011 March 1 to March 9 1.1 metres. The best time to ski Japan is March. Blue bird days with big dumps Feb is known for heap of rain in Nagano area. I research this each year before and after traveling to Japan. By the way did you get using that white balance shorted.

ozgirl - 21 September 2011 03:51 AM

Johno there is a lot of info in this post - https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/2976/P30/

I am trying to remember the name of where I stayed in Hakuba and also fav restaurants etc for you.

Thank OZ girl I am alway open to good info. The place I stayed last year the (Luna) was taken over by White Horse owers and has a different set up. It has a young crowd mosty Boarders, staff with boarders and very close to Saka lifts Under a minute away

ozgirl - 21 September 2011 03:34 AM
Mizu Kuma - 21 September 2011 12:29 AM
Gamblor - 20 September 2011 06:39 AM

09 was an overall bad year in hakuba but there was still plenty of pow to be had. it’s all in the timing. there was lots of pow on weekdays and then rain on the weekends which stuffed my season. If I remember correctly niseko had a bad year too so you must have gotten lucky when you went.

We went to Nis in 09, and the locals were sayin that it was a terrible season and mainly in peak, my Japanese mate that lives over here even said that it looked pretty shitty in the pics due to the fact that ya could see the roads in Sapporo!!!!!

We still had 10-15 fresh every night!!!!! Best snow that I have ever had!!!!!!

I can’t wait to go in a good year, or even an average year for that matter!!!!!!

No doubts it was a bad year! Even from my non expert opinion.

I was just questioning where the stats that Hakuba was better came from.

I rode both (within a week of each other) and Niseko was def better (but yes i could have just got lucky!) We had fresh snow on our arrival day in Hakuba and then none. I snowed several times the week after in Niseko.

Oh and runs were closed and HUGE cracks were opening in runs in resorts around Hakuba. There was no signs of this in Niseko

It rain a lot in Hakuba in Feb ( Crack opening up) Japan Bureau of Meteorology for the snow depth during the season

It is interesting how fickle mother nature is! Not just in Aus.

there is no reliable snow anywhere in the world!

This thread is proof enough! Hakuba having the best snow fall but yet was ruined by rain events and that my week in Niseko was better! You just can’t pick it!

I still had a great time tho and that’s what matters!

johnoT - 21 September 2011 04:25 AM

It rain a lot in Hakuba in Feb ( Crack opening up) Japan Bureau of Meteorology for the snow depth during the season

Do you mean “it rains alot in february” or “it rained alot in Feb”?  Big difference between the two. You know that she is talking about 2009 and not 2010, right? 2009 was a horrible year, it rained 8 fridays in a row from feb through march, which sucked for a weekend warrior like me. 2010 was good, and this past season was awesome.

Gamblor - 22 September 2011 12:58 AM

Do you mean “it rains alot in feb” or “it rained alot in Feb”?  Big difference between the two. You know that she is talking about 2009 and not 2010, right? 2009 was a horrible year, it rained 8 fridays in a row from feb through march, which sucked for a weekend warrior like me. 2010 was good, and this past season was awesome.

You seem to work it out, so what your problem Gamblor. Is it that you want to show the forum that your intelligent and belittle me at the same time. Let look at your grammar. She is “OZ girl” 1st mistake, you spell out numeral under the value of 10, 2nd mistake Your telling me about the error so ? mark should be an ! mark. 3rd mistake. Then you do the same thing you pulled me up on, ” feb” which should have a capital F. By the way I have a mate (Kas) who live in Hakuba. He is the owner of “Sounds Like Cafe” Echoland, he is the person I got my weather info off.  So try and be more friendly when making a comment or someone more intelligent will make an idiot out of you.

johnoT - 22 September 2011 02:25 AM
Gamblor - 22 September 2011 12:58 AM

Do you mean “it rains alot in feb” or “it rained alot in Feb”?  Big difference between the two. You know that she is talking about 2009 and not 2010, right? 2009 was a horrible year, it rained 8 fridays in a row from feb through march, which sucked for a weekend warrior like me. 2010 was good, and this past season was awesome.

You seem to work it out, so what your problem Gamblor. Is it that you want to show the forum that your intelligent and belittle me at the same time. Let look at your grammar. She is “OZ girl” 1st mistake, you spell out numeral under the value of 10, 2nd mistake Your telling me about the error so ? mark should be an ! mark. 3rd mistake. Then you do the same thing you pulled me up on, ” feb” which should have a capital F. By the way I have a mate (Kas) who live in Hakuba. He is the owner of “Sounds Like Cafe” Echoland, he is the person I got my weather info off.  So try and be more friendly when making a comment or someone more intelligent will make an idiot out of you.

Hey, hey, no need to get angry. It’s just the internets after all. Not trying to belittle you as I was asking you a genuine question. By adding an ‘s’ or an ‘ed’ at the end of rain, it changes completely what you are saying. ‘It rains alot in Feb’ makes it so that you are saying that ‘every year it rains in Feb’ - which is not so. That is why I was asking. If you were intending to say to ozgirl (all lower case by the way) that ‘it rained alot in Feb of 09’ then I’d have to agree with you. 

Since I love a nice debate, let’s address my grammar mistakes which pointed out.

you spell out numeral under the value of 10

http://www.grammarbook.com/numbers/numbers.asp

LOL actually it seems that you’re supposed to. I never learnt that in school. However, I wrote ‘8’ - so I am guilty as charged.

2nd mistake Your telling me about the error so ? mark should be an ! mark.

It was a real question. Yes, I was pointing out a grammar/spelling mistake but only because I couldn’t understand your meaning.

And yes, feb should be Feb, or even better February.
So, as I am guilty on two of three counts, I owe you an apology. I will never mention your grammar or spelling again.

That’s cool that you know Kas and I’m happy to hear that you’ll be doing the season in Hakuba. Maybe I’ll see you around. shaka

I owe you an apology for the the misunderstanding Gamblor. I don,t have excuse for my mishap. I should of interpreted the thread calmly, instead has a paranoid geriatric.

no worries!
will this be your first full season in Hakuba? Make sure you get here by New Year’s. There is always a MASSIVE dump then.

I’ll be working at the Aqua Alpine resort at the bottom of Goryu. Waiting on a starting date from the Manager, but I assume that I’ll be starting early December. If that falls through, I,ll be there in March for a few weeks.