The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Keeping warm

Hey guys,

Going to Japan, hear it is really cold. What base layers would your recommend?

where in japan and when?

Hey Mate,
We are going to Niseko at the end of Dec for 10 days then Nozawa Onsen for a week. We both have Sessions Jackets and pants, but trying to figure out what kind of layers to wear under them? I have been looking at different thermals (Icebreaker, Merino, Etc) but dont really know what the best will be for us. I know you need a base layer then another layer over that, but will it be enough for Niseko as i know its really cold up there. Also what kind of gloves would you recommend? There are alot of sales in Australia for the end of season so hopefully will be able to get some good gear at a good price.

Cheers Mate

depends a bit on your sessions jackets. Are they just shells or do they have insulation?

I usually wear a first layer shirt & long johns (burton medium weight/ patagonia capilene 3 or 4, or smartwool), then a fleece, then the shell jacket. If you have insulation in the jacket then you can go with a lighter fleece or hoody. If you pick up 2 first layer shirts, then on really cold days you can just double them up.

for gloves, just your standard burton gloves(rpm’s are sick gloves) or similar would do.

I had thermal top and bottom, icebreaker top, then med weight jacket and pants. Kick ass beanie and face protection are most important IMO.

Agree with Gamblor, I’ve visited Furano twice. I’m a huge Icebreaker fan so my layering normal goes like this:

Icebreaker socks (the best in the biz I reckon, and merino doesn’t smell so you can run them for mulitple days on holiday!)
Light or midweight merino leggings (I seldom get cold legs so usually go light)
Merino First layer (150 or 200 rating)
Merino second layer (260 rating)

Your other option is to just run a down jacket with a single layer underneath. I did that when I rode nights over there.

One more item I’d recommend is a set of lightweight glove liners. They make a huge difference to how warm your hands are, no matter what gloves you’re wearing.

^^ depends on your outerwear also on the wind chill on the day
on the bluebird day i was running with normal insulated outerwear
legs UA heatwear (anti heat thermal) compression legs
top - light weight burton thermal

colder days with same outerwear - mid merino wool layer bottom and burton mid tech shirt

gloves was using POW assault + liner | Burton goretex under glove + liner
both super dry and warm
i swap because…well i can LOL

pro tip…get a good neck warmer or full face cover
found the only part of my body which did get cold was my mouth area (especially on the chair lifts higher up)
the flimsy ones i normally wear in Australian conditions don’t cut it

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice, we ended up getting Icebreaker 200 base layer and 320 mid layer, so should be good with that. Our problem was gloves. I have pretty big hands and my wife and i got POW leather gloves, mine were such a mission to get on and they are XL, there would be no way i could get liners under them, they dont even stay zipped up as it is. My wifes hands were cold alot of the time, she does feel the cold alot more than me.

I saw most of the lifties in NZ had what looked like rigging gloves on which were a creamy colour and woolen on the inside, does anyone know if they are good? My biggest problem is going to get a size that fits me well and able to fit liners underneath them, i am usually an XL but these gloves i have seem really small for that size.

We bought a couple of Merino neckwarmers in NZ they are not super thick and am wondering if they will cut the mustard in the really cold areas? we already have beanies and are wanting to buy helmets as well, there are no snowboarding shops where we live, and want to try our helmets on with our goggles to make sure they fit well, so will probally get the helmets in japan, any reccomendations on good helmets and can you wear normal beanies underneath them or do you need to get thinner beanies for them.

I know once again there are heaps of questions here, but not having access to a store makes it hard to find out info, we are checking out stores on the net, but not being able to physically see the products i am hoping you guys can give us some tips so when can get it right when we go to buy the gear.

Cheers
Jared

I wear a burton mutiny helmet. It doesn’t have any un-closeable vents (like the hifi) so it’s pretty warm. I wear a mountain hardwear butter balaclava under it because sometimes the wind can make my ears cold (it slips in under the ear pads).

I got my wife heavy dakine mitts because she always has cold hands. They are similar to the burton hover mitts.
don’t worry too much about being too cold though. I always see you aussies (here in japan) walking around in the snow in flip flops and boardies , especially at night gulp

and if you’re cold, there are plenty of shops with larger sizing

gloves
hard to help as sounds like you need to go try on some gloves to find something that fits
for your missus, maybe go up in colder temp gloves….most gloves have some sort of temp rating

neckwarmer seems fine
if it doesn’t there are plenty opportunity to buy in japan and they are relatively inexpensive

good idea to try on helmets to make sure they fit properly with your goggles and your head

My preferred helmet companies is GIRO and Smith
I find i get too hot in the helmets rather than get too cold..which is why i went for the higher end multi vent models
wearing beanie under helmet is not required or recommended

there are like thin beanies you can wear but unless you have really bad issue with heat lose from helmet i wouldn’t bother

We call em “Thongs” Gamblor!!!!!!  LOL

Like everyone has pretty much said jared, when I went to Niseko I wore exactly the same gear as I wear over here in OZ in mid winter, with the exception of a good face mask as a permanent fixture on my mug!!!!!

Any exposed skin will feel the wrath of the damn cold temps, but as there is absolutely zero humidity and the snow is just so freakin dry, ya just don’t get problems with fellin the cold from bein wet, as ya just don’t get wet!!!!!! (Unless ya fall into a creek or somethin, that is!!!!)

lol yeah mizu I know. but should I link a photo of a ‘thong’? better not - I’m at work

Gamblor - 20 September 2011 01:39 AM

lol yeah mizu I know. but should I link a photo of a ‘thong’? better not - I’m at work