The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Who is going to Japan this season

There seems to be a lot of boarder heading to japan this season. Who heading where and why.
I,m go to Hakuba because of work and the snow quality. I be working at the AquaAlpine resort. Plus Hakuba has had the highest snow depth for the last two season.

I’m hoping to go do a season in Japan next season (the one after this one) I’ve wanted to see Japan for soooo long.

not this season, heading to Tahoe, but the year after im planning on making a month long trip there.

If I can get it organised I’m planning on hitting Japan this January, At this stage looking at Hakuba but everything’s quite daunting when you’ve not booked an OS trip before.

I think I will ride at Hakuba every weekend this year LOL

drc13 - 20 September 2011 01:17 AM

If I can get it organised I’m planning on hitting Japan this January, At this stage looking at Hakuba but everything’s quite daunting when you’ve not booked an OS trip before.

pm me if you need any help…but I’m not a travel agent

Gamblor - 20 September 2011 01:24 AM
drc13 - 20 September 2011 01:17 AM

pm me if you need any help…but I’m not a travel agent

Thanks for the offer, I will definitely take you up on it when I get a chance. Cheers

http://www.japan-guide.com/
very good for general japan info

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/index.php
more snow focus page

if your not picky on specific dates
Feb is generally cheaper than Jan

keep your eye out of specials for flights
cause that’s where most of the money will be going

also consider if you want to do any tourist stuff aside from just boarding
if you haven’t been Japan before its a marvellous place to explore

I am heading to Niseko with a large group of friends.

We went to Hakuba the last week of Feb in 2009 then up to Niseko and they did not have a great season in Hakuba that year. Where did you get your stats from?

09 was an overall bad year in hakuba but there was still plenty of pow to be had. it’s all in the timing. there was lots of pow on weekdays and then rain on the weekends which stuffed my season. If I remember correctly niseko had a bad year too so you must have gotten lucky when you went.

Thanks for the info humdingaling.

I’m still in the early stages of planning but I guess my main initial questions would be:

* What sort of price should I be aiming at for a return flight from Sydney to Tokyo? (presuming that’s the correct one for Hakuba) I want to be ready to snap up a cheap flight should they come up but don’t really know what classifies as a bargain yet. I would be taking my board/bindings/boots etc as well so will need to allow for luggage. I got excited when I found a flight quoted for $650 after the the 16th Jan but then found out you add another $600 for taxes.

* Any specific accomodation recommendations? (I’ll either be travelling as a single or maybe with a mate) I’ve been looking into “the lab” but not actually sure it’s that cheap considering it is dorm accomodation

* Any recommended touristy things? 99% of the time I want to be snowboarding but being my first time travelling I really should have a look around I’m thinking of tagging on an extra 2 days in tokyo at the end of the trip and have heard good things about the snow monkeys (thought not sure when you do these trips without giving up a day on the mountain)

* Finally do you recommend DIY organising of the trip or do you get similar prices by having a travel agent or purchasing a package.

I work in schools so will be on holidays until the end of January so that would be the pick of my times to travel as I can’t really take time off in Feb/Mar.

Thanks in advance.

Gamblor - 20 September 2011 06:39 AM

09 was an overall bad year in hakuba but there was still plenty of pow to be had. it’s all in the timing. there was lots of pow on weekdays and then rain on the weekends which stuffed my season. If I remember correctly niseko had a bad year too so you must have gotten lucky when you went.

We went to Nis in 09, and the locals were sayin that it was a terrible season and mainly in peak, my Japanese mate that lives over here even said that it looked pretty shitty in the pics due to the fact that ya could see the roads in Sapporo!!!!!

We still had 10-15 fresh every night!!!!! Best snow that I have ever had!!!!!!

I can’t wait to go in a good year, or even an average year for that matter!!!!!!

since i got jibbed this year with snow i am trying to convince my wife to let me go in january or mid feb for a 7 nights, but its still up in the air.

hate been married now u have to talk about everything ffs.

Flights via Jetstar i would not pay over 600 bucks (thats cause i really don’t like flying with them LOL)
also the notorious stop over in cairns/sunshine coast is a drain and complete waste of time

i think their specials normally go for about 800 (but this is with buy 1 get 1 free type deals)
anything near 1k is bullshit for utter Jetstar

everyone else about 1200 is a good price
prefer going with JAL or Qantas as they do non-stop flights in

Luggage you will need to look into at time of booking
cause they change in year to year (AIR NZ did a major change last year with sports gear)

Hakuba can be reached by either Tokyo (Haneda) or Osaka (kansai) airports but i prefer going via Tokyo
easier to setup a 2 day after boarding into Tokyo if your flying out of there wink

unsure how long you are going for
Snow monkeys isnt too bad but you are right it does cut into snowboarding time
pretty much a full day trip

i prefer DIY myself because i like to control exactly where my money/time goes. If you feel its too much hassle etc and aren’t picky then agents definitely go thru agent

At least get quotes etc if your unsure from them cause they do provide added benefits and you can budget to see how much “cut” they making

ill post more later after lunch =)

lanox - 21 September 2011 12:56 AM

since i got jibbed this year with snow i am trying to convince my wife to let me go in january or mid feb for a 7 nights, but its still up in the air.

hate been married now u have to talk about everything ffs.

i share your pain

downer

Mizu Kuma - 21 September 2011 12:29 AM
Gamblor - 20 September 2011 06:39 AM

We went to Nis in 09, and the locals were sayin that it was a terrible season and mainly in peak, my Japanese mate that lives over here even said that it looked pretty shitty in the pics due to the fact that ya could see the roads in Sapporo!!!!!

We still had 10-15 fresh every night!!!!! Best snow that I have ever had!!!!!!

I can’t wait to go in a good year, or even an average year for that matter!!!!!!

No doubts it was a bad year! Even from my non expert opinion.

I was just questioning where the stats that Hakuba was better came from.

I rode both (within a week of each other) and Niseko was def better (but yes i could have just got lucky!) We had fresh snow on our arrival day in Hakuba and then none. I snowed several times the week after in Niseko.

Oh and runs were closed and HUGE cracks were opening in runs in resorts around Hakuba. There was no signs of this in Niseko