The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Hey guys,

I’m new to snowboarding but am addicted to it already therefore looking to buy myself a board.
I have no idea where to start, brands, size etc but looking to get something I can grow into.

I’m 175cm and 80kg. I have a size 9 foot as well.

If you guys could give me some ideas since alot of you guys have a whole lot more knowledge then I do.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

If you have a lot of time read this thread
but in general the type of board you want to buy really is something very personal:
first of all: what do u want to do with it? Park, powder, normal downhill,...
second; do u want a big board with a lot of stability but harder to turn, or smaller more flexible and easier to handle but less stability?
But seeing your size and weight I would go for a bigger board but I’m definitively not the best person to help u with this, there are better persons here who can help you :D

(my specs: I’m 180cm and 64kg, I have a Ride Machete 158cm, a very good all-round board, I love it, it’s on my wall like a shrine(if you want pics let me know :D), I have boot size 11.5 and Burton Missions for bindings)

mate go over the other 6 or so threads that asked the exact same thing.

its all been answered before…

First, go to a shop and get some boots. They are more important than a board. Shaun White can still pull a 720 on a rental board (I’m sure he can lol) but with bad rental boots, you finish your day with sore feet and probably 1000 other foot odours…

Quick rundown:

Park riding, you should look at something about the 152-155 range. Soft to Mid flex with Rocker and then detune the tip and tail.
Something like the: Chemical Storm Octorocker / Yes Tasmaniac / Forum Scallywag / Lib Tech Skatebanana / Stepchild Jibstick or the Burton Joystick

All mountain / beginner, you should look at about the 156-158 range. Mid flex. As a beginner, it will be easier to learn with a rocker board… but you can’t carve as well once you get better
Look at the: Lib Tech T-Rice / Burton Custom / Signal OG / Capita Green Machine

Big Mountain / Fast down hills / Powder, look at the 160-162 range. Stiff flex. Keep your edges sharp.
Look at the: Capita Charlie Slasher / Burton Custom X

Hey thanks for the replys,

the nearest mountains to me would be bulla so mostly be snowboarding there and falls creek.

not to interested in parks really. more all mountain stuff.

Looking at board and binding packages at ballystxs and melbourne snowboard but there are so many different brands and boards on offer.

Welcome,

I asked the exact question not long ago and got lead to the Burton Custom Flying V 154 plus Burton Cartel EST Bindings.

Just came back from a w/e at the snows to have a test run too.

I’m loving the board as it allows me to hang out with both park and all mountain friends, but personally my only issue with it is
that it can pick up quite a bit of speed on slushy conditions already.. (well more than I can handle anyways)

My specs 171cm height and 70kg by the way.

incubus - 18 September 2011 12:42 PM

Welcome,

I asked the exact question not long ago and got lead to the Burton Custom Flying V 154 plus Burton Cartel EST Bindings.

Just came back from a w/e at the snows to have a test run too.

I’m loving the board as it allows me to hang out with both park and all mountain friends, but personally my only issue with it is
that it can pick up quite a bit of speed on slushy conditions already.. (well more than I can handle anyways)

My specs 171cm height and 70kg by the way.

All boards will pick up speed in all conditions… Unfortunately while you are learning it would really help to have an easier way to slow down hahaha

Hey Danho
There are plenty of threads asking this question with really in depth answers. But in general:
You need to go to a good snowboard store to get advice in person to make sure the board, bindings and boots you get are the right size for you.

First look at boots: Forget the way they look and buy the boots that fit you best. When you stand up straight legs your toes should press (not curl) firmly against the end of the boot. When u bend your knees (riding stance) they should just touch the end of the boot)

Bindings: Again comfort is most important. Look for a thick cumfy heel strap, make sure they fit your boot and you can wear your boot of choice and then strap into the binding to make sure everything fits nicely. *tip* Black or white coloured bindings and boots match everything wink

Board: The most important thing is that it’s the right width for your boot (the shop guys will help u with this, but make sure you ask them). The next thing to think of is length. When u find a board u like, then ask the shop guys to look up what board length suits your weight and height. As for styles of boards your going to want an ‘all mountain’ board if your not into park.
You have probably heard of different cambers in boards. This comes down to personal choice. Rockers are good for beginners because you will catch less edges and be stoked on boarding sooner. Cambers are good for learning more precise edge change timing but you will catch more edges. Hybrids are probably something you want to try later in your snowboarding career.

Hope that helps you Danho and welcome to Boardworld shaka

danho - 17 September 2011 05:21 PM

Hey guys,

I’m new to snowboarding but am addicted to it already therefore looking to buy myself a board.
I have no idea where to start, brands, size etc but looking to get something I can grow into.

I’m 175cm and 80kg. I have a size 9 foot as well.

If you guys could give me some ideas since alot of you guys have a whole lot more knowledge then I do.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Welcome to Boardworld, danho.  cool smile

Do you plan on riding any more this season or during the Northern Hemisphere season? Will you be using this board for Australia only? How much riding have you done to date?

Boots: It’s really important to get boots which work for your foot shape. Don’t settle for boots because they’re on sale. Definitely go into your local stores and see if they have anything suitable for you. If they don’t and you’re not riding until next season, you’re better off waiting until the start of next season. Get in as soon as the new stock arrives and you will have a huge range of boots to try on and choose from. It’s worth reading this boot fitting guide so you know what to look for when trying on boots.

Snowboard: Being a beginner, the most important thing to consider is versatility, while still being easy to learn on and providing room to improve on. There are some really good deals going around at the moment, so now is the best time to buy a board.

Looking at Ballistyx’s website, check out the YES Basic 155 or 157. A very versatile board, good features, good value, nice mid-range flex, easy to learn on, and lots of room from progression. More info on it here. If you want to step it up a notch, you could also look at the YES Tasman(iac). I wrote a review on the Tasman(iac) here.

The Lib Tech Attack Banana would also be a good option, however I think the 153 is smaller than you would want to go. Check with Melbourne Snowboard Centre to see if they have any bigger sizes.

There are other boards on there which would also be suitable, depending on your riding style and riding locations. So if you could provide more information about your intentions, we can look into it further.

It would also be beneficial to read the following articles so you can develop an understanding of how it all works:

Snowboard Characteristics

Snowboard Selection

Bindings: Look for bindings with good features. i.e. comfortable straps, quality ratchets, good adjustably. I’m a big fan of Burton and Flux bindings myself. Being a beginner, you don’t want something too stiff/responsive as this will make your progression more difficult and less fun.

Please feel free to ask any further questions. smile

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback again.

I want to try to get out again this season. Maybe to falls creek or so.
Will try to get out to ballystyx this week also. Checking on the website they have some board and binding combos. Its all pretty overwhelming because there are so many brands and such.

Any particular brands to steer clear of or brands to look for in particular? Trying to keep budget to about $600ish if possible for board and bindings.

Thanks

Before you buy a board. Go and ride some hire boards, then have a word with a fitter about what you like doing on a board then pick what suit you. Plus your a beginer so don,t go lashing out big dollars on your first board. But you do need to be fitted for boot. This is real important more important than the board. You might pick up a decent board on this site or told where to get your hand on a bargain.

danho - 19 September 2011 02:35 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback again.

I want to try to get out again this season. Maybe to falls creek or so.
Will try to get out to ballystyx this week also. Checking on the website they have some board and binding combos. Its all pretty overwhelming because there are so many brands and such.

Any particular brands to steer clear of or brands to look for in particular? Trying to keep budget to about $600ish if possible for board and bindings.

Thanks

I’ve looked through the combo packages on their website. You’re going to struggle to find anything decent for $600 (board and bindings). You could look at the Lamar packages, but to be honest I don’t know much about these boards. You’re better off spending that extra $200 and looking at the GNU / Union package for $799. Link here. 159 might be bigger than you want to ride though.

Also check out http://www.stmonline.com.au. Trying to keep to your $600 budget, you could get a Burton Blunt (155 or 158) and Burton Cartels for $637 total. This is definitely the best option I have found so far. The board is easy to learn on and versatile. The bindings are excellent (I was riding them all week at The Shred). Links here and here. STM does give free shipping if you decide to buy from their website.

Make sure you go to Ballistyx and Melbourne Snowboard Centre to try on as many boots as you can. It’s essential you get the right fit for your foot shape.

Welcome to BW danho!!!!!!

Have ya got enough cash flow to get a full setup???? Have ya got boots already???? Do you intend on using hire boots????

Just as a Andy pointed out, get yaself the best fitting boot that ya money can buy!!!!!!

This is the first step and ultimately the most crucial step that most people fail to follow, when gettin their first snowbaordin gear!!!!!

After that, go and get a board/binder combo that ya budget and style slots into!!!!!

would suggest stay away from Morrow, Lamar, LTD and ALDI BOARDS! smile

^^
Boots>board & binding

Boots would have been the last thing I would have rated on the priority list but you have changed my mind.

I hopefully will get to ballistyx this weekend and check it out.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Any snow left in Victoria anyone?

I’m pretty sure Hotham closes this weekend and Falls is open til the 2nd? Looking sad up there but enough for beginners/intermediate to have fun on!!! smile

(Then again, as long as there is something to slide on, it’s always fun ) wink