The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

wax on, wax off

Ok I know there have been a few threads here about waxing, but this is specifically about waxing irons.  From what I’ve read:

. you can use an old steam iron (obviously with no steam), but the holes in the iron will clog up with old wax, plus the temperate range can vary more than you would want (too hot or too cold)
. can use a travel iron but again temperate range may be too variable, plus lacks the metal mass to maintain heat very well
. teflon bases = not good (leaves teflon specks in wax)
. some people recommend the toko wax mouse, but try finding that anywhere..
. swix irons seem to be sold out in Melbourne CBD stores
. some other lesser known brands available for $80-$100
. some people say the conventional clothes irons work fine and the temperate variation is not a biggie unless you set it too high

any thoughts?  the wife was keen to get a new clothes iron, so I could grab the old one for waxing, but don’t want to do that if it’s not going to be a good outcome.

Mud

Another thing to take into account with a typical iron is that you’ll go through wax quicker with it filling up holes.

FYI: I used Dan’s Dakine iron all season in whistler and it was great, not too expensive either from memory.

I bought a Dakine Tune Kit. Comes with Dakine iron and all the basic tools you’ll need (scrapers, files, ptex, scourer pad, edger sharpener, stone) all in the one carry bag. Think it cost me 180. You could get the iron alone for around 100 Im pretty sure

i just use an old iron, you will get no wax clogging up the holes because the iron is hot,the wax melts when hot.

hold the iron off the board for a few seconds and the wax melts onto the board.

yeah i’ve already invested in waxes, a scraper, a brush and citrus base cleaner.  I was planning on using an old steam iron or maybe travel iron, but then came across all those comments against using them.  MSC has a Kuu brand iron for about $80, Auski has Dakine and some other one for $80 to $100.

I picked up a cheapo iron at a homewares store for like $20- set it on cotton and melt the wax off the bottom flat bit where there aren’t any holes.
works like a champ!
smirk

snowdragon - 12 September 2011 05:10 AM

I picked up a cheapo iron at a homewares store for like $20- set it on cotton and melt the wax off the bottom flat bit where there aren’t any holes.
works like a champ!
smirk

do the holes fill up when you’re spreading the wax?  To be honest I’m not that fussed about the holes getting messed up, it’s more about the temperature control.  Too cold = pores don’t open to absorb wax, too hot = pores fuse = bad.

el cheapo one works fine

holes do not fill because the iron is hot

Dad bought one the other day for his skis, but I’m sure it can be used on snowboards.

I’ll ask him where he got it from and for how much.

I’m using a Dakine iron, got it for around $60. I think its just a plain waste of money to be spending around $100+ on an iron…

humdingaling - 12 September 2011 05:54 AM

el cheapo one works fine

holes do not fill because the iron is hot

^^^^^ The only issue I guess I have had is cause it’s a little one it may take a little longer to spread the wax?  Hard to tell with a labor of love..

Just get a dakine tune kit haha

I got an small travel iron, it fits inside my folded bindings when I travel, never had any dramas with too hot or cold, there is more to it than iron temp.

bliss - 13 September 2011 01:40 AM

I’m using a Dakine iron, got it for around $60. I think its just a plain waste of money to be spending around $100+ on an iron…

its a plain waste of money to spend $60 on an iron…

lol so confusing.  You can read reviews online of a waxing iron and some people give it 5 stars and then the next reviewer gives it 1 star.  Some people say the cheaper ones don’t have enough mass, or the surface is too rough or it’s too flimsy blah blah   I’ve asked a couple of crusty old skiers I know and they both use an old clothes iron.  one didn’t even know you could buy a dedicated waxing iron.  I think I’ll just get a clothes iron and give that a try for now.  Mrs Mud is after a new teflon iron so I’ll take the old steel one.

re: the edges, the idea is to wax the edges then scrape them back as much as possible?  My scraper is an oblong shape with a little square notch in the corner that I suspect is made for that purpose.

ummm im not sure what your talking about. just wax the whole surface of the board, scrape the whole surface of the board back then thats it.