The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

National Park Entry Pass/Chain Hire for the Shred!

Howdy all,

Just forward thinking about national park entry and chain hire for this weekend… I’ll be coming through late Thursday night through Khancoban - is there anywhere that will be open late so I can get entry and chains? Park entry pass says it’s available from the National Parks Visitors Centre in Khancoban but will it be open so late at night? (Around 9-10?)

Otherwise I can try and hire chains here in Melbourne - not sure what to do about the entry pass tho….

Help!

smile

ps. 4 sleeps! shaka

Hi ya,

You can buy the park’s pass in Thredbo (can’t remember where maybe the Supermarket - or something?) Don’t worry you don’t get a fine as such they give you 24hrs to pay when they bust you. So just make sure you buy the pass as soon as you can, but freshies can take precedent in the morning!

You don’t actually need Chains in Thredbo by law. But i could grab you some in Jindy on the way through if you end up needing them? You just have to make sure you wont need them to get in Thredbo from Khancoban.

Actually what sort of car do you have? What size wheels? is it a small car? I have a pair of chains that I could sell you for $50 if they fit.

She has a Subie so wont need chains if you dont need them by law. In mexico you have to carry by law even in 4x4s, which is why she was asking.

ozgirl - 11 September 2011 11:22 PM

Hi ya,

You can buy the park’s pass in Thredbo (can’t remember where maybe the Supermarket - or something?) Don’t worry you don’t get a fine as such they give you 24hrs to pay when they bust you. So just make sure you buy the pass as soon as you can, but freshies can take precedent in the morning!

You don’t actually need Chains in Thredbo by law. But i could grab you some in Jindy on the way through if you end up needing them? You just have to make sure you wont need them to get in Thredbo from Khancoban.

Thanks for the info Oz! smile

Okie dokie, I’ll just buy a pass at the supermarket on Friday! smile

I drive a subaru so it’s an AWD (impreza - exactly the same as yours!) but like K2 said, us mexicans have to carry chains by law!
No worries… my tyres are 205-55-R16…. I rarely put them on but just to make myself feel better I’ll try to hire some here in Melbs…

Thanks guys!!!

shaka

It’s not a fine, just a payment reminder. I think you get 2 weeks to pay the fee before you get fined.

You won’t need chains. Save your money. They won’t check either.