The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Major boot issues…

Hi
I need some serious help with the old boot-fitting issue!!

I board a few days every year and this year bought my own gear for the first time, including new boots. To get to the point, after my first three days onthe slopes my toes were so bruised and swollen that I could hardly walk, a problem I have never had with snowboarding before ( two weeks later they are still pretty colourful…) I really REALLY love my new board and want to get back out there but am a bit put off by the foot pain factor.

Followed alot of advise on getting boots but was ultimately on my own in the store.  Toes touched the front when trying them on (but I wore thin socks?), same size as the hire ones I usually got, slight bit of heel movement but not detrimental.  What have I missed?!! Where did I go wrong? 

HELP!!!

I think the boot fitting really also needs to be tailored to the amount of riding you expect to do in a season.

If only boarding a few days a year, feet just touching the end tends to be the right fit, but it’s usually imperative that you wear the same socks that you will when boarding.

As most boots tend to “pack out” (i.e. compress the lining) a little with repeated use.

What you might be experiencing now is that when combined with your regular snowboarding socks, you boots might in fact be a fraction too snug.
Not sure how to address this, but perhaps wearing your boots with your snowboard socks around the house a little bit more, and hope they pack out a little more before you go riding next?

Hey littleflog, welcome to Boardworld! smile

Sorry you’re having such painful issues with your boots. While it does take at least a few days for boots to start packing out, I’m not sure this is the ultimate cause of your problems.

I have a few questions for you before I can suggest what the problem might be.

Which boots did you buy?

Did you try on a range of boots? Were you boot fitted by someone in the store? Did you get them heat molded?

With the boots on, when you’re standing up straight, how hard does your toes push on the front of the boots? Just touching? A bit of pressure? Uncomfortable amount of pressure? Toes bending?

When you bend your knees (driving your knees towards the ground like when snowboarding), do you toes still touch the end? Just touching?

Do you have any other pressure points in the boot or is it just the toes causing problems?

Do you wear othotics in your normal shoes? Are you using after-market footbeds of any description in your boots currently?

I know I asked a lot of questions but the more you can tell me, the better I will be able to help you. Don’t worry, there’s always things we can do to address boot fit issues, especially if the boots are too tight.

Thanks so much for the replies guys!

Not sure on the boot brand but I don’t think they are a big name (ie, burton).  I will check this….

I def didn’t have any help instore - I was pretty much on my own.  Tried on a few and picked the ones that felt like they fitted the most ilke the hire ones I have previously used…

?heat moulded?  Never heard of footbeds either until I read a few forums recently. 

Shoe size is a 7-8 womens and I got size 7 boots.

Toes are fairly firm up against the front when standing up straight (which I was told was right) with little movement.  Still very much touching with knees bent but with more movement.  I did get pins and needle when riding though -  switching to thin socks on the last day helped a bit with that but not entirely.

No orthodics or other pressure points to speak of.  I wore the boots around the house for a night before I went and didn’t have any problems just walking in them until after a few hours out on the slopes.

No worries at all, happy to help.

Which store did you purchase them from? It sounds like customer service is seriously lacking. That’s a problem right there. I would take the boots back to where you purchased them from and get them to heat mold the boots. That should at least start packing out the toe-box a little bit. They can also manipulate the shell if required to give you more room in the toe-box.

Try doing up your binding straps slightly looser. Sometime if you go even just one click too far, you can cause pressure on the top of your foot, which will restrict blood flow. That can cause cold, sore feet, and/or pins and needles.

A custom molded footbed could certainly help. The mirror image fit underneath your feet works as an anchor to keep your foot in place. This can minimise your foot sliding and jamming up at the front of the boot when you’re riding. Not only that, but it will do wonders for your arch, ankles, and knees.

Keep wearing them around the house. The more you can break them in at home, the better. Unfortunately your problems are just another example of how much a proper boot fitting service can benefit consumers. It’s really important to go to a store with a big range of boots, with staff who know what they’re doing. I would first suggest going back to where you bought them and see if they have equipment on hand to heat mold the boot and possible blow the toe-box out later down the track if necessary.

Where do you live?

Will do with the bindings - at least when I had pins and needles I couldn’t feel my toes lol!

I live in Melbourne and bought the boots at a warehouse sale on Smith st in Collingwood.  I will give them a go but not sure if they are still there. 
Do you think it is movement that has caused the bruising or a lack of space?  Would a footbed improve things then?

I have worn them though so not sure if I can return them.  Are second hand boots likely to be a bad idea then if they need to be so personalised/fitted?

littlefrog - 12 August 2011 04:27 AM

Will do with the bindings - at least when I had pins and needles I couldn’t feel my toes lol!

I live in Melbourne and bought the boots at a warehouse sale on Smith st in Collingwood.  I will give them a go but not sure if they are still there. 
Do you think it is movement that has caused the bruising or a lack of space?  Would a footbed improve things then?

I have worn them though so not sure if I can return them.  Are second hand boots likely to be a bad idea then if they need to be so personalised/fitted?

2nd hand boots generally not a good idea…depending on how much its been used.
the liner would be molded to the other persons foot

also without trying them on…how would you know they fit properly?
you are likely to end up with similar issues

on another note…i know its silly to mention ...cut your nails if you haven’t already

It’s hard to say without looking at your feet and the boots. It could be either. A footbed will certainly help in regards to minimising movement in your boot.

If the boots fit your feet well and it’s simply too tight, you can quite easily create room. Any good snowboard store should be able to help you. Although they will charge you as you didn’t purchase the boots from them.

Yeah, second hand boots aren’t a good idea. It’s just like wearing rental boots.

i have a high arch and if I don’t wear my custom footbed in my boots my toes get quite sore from sliding forward and hitting the front of the boot. Off the board, my foot doesn’t seem to move around inside my boot though. You could try some semi-custom foot beds first like sole or superfeet

on another note…i know its silly to mention ...cut your nails if you haven’t already

red face  Actually thought that was the problem after the first day but it didn’t help much.

if I don’t wear my custom footbed in my boots my toes get quite sore from sliding forward and hitting the front of the boot

Ok will definately look into footbeds as well as moulding etc.  Any suggestions for a good store in Melbourne that can help if the one I bought them from can’t?

I put heaps into reserching the board, tried some out on demo days etc but didn’t once consider how important (or painful) the boots would be!!!  There’s a lesson here…..

Depends on which part of Melbourne you’re from..

Ballistyx is pretty good if you’re in the Eastern Suburbs. Located in Ringwood. Their customer service has generally been good but last time we went I wasn’t that impressed.

If you’re in the North/Northeastern suburbs, Melbourne Snowbard Centre in Preston are excellent. My boardshop of choice. Great staff, great place, massive range of gear. http://melbournesnowboard.com.au/

Inner South East, you can try Trigger Brothers in St Kilda. Haven’t been there but I’ve heard good things..
http://www.triggerbrothers.com.au/

If you’re in the CBD, there’s a few ski/board shops scattered around Hardware lane & Elizabeth Street, Auski and Altitude.. I never go to these just based on the fact parking in the city is a major !@&*!..

Western suburbs… no clue, sorry red face

Best of luck with them

Thanks T-Spec !

+1 for Melbourne Snowboard Centre.

Also, a few doors down on Smith St. from that warehouse outlet you went to, you’ll find Snowmonkey.  I’ve never bought from them but they are mostly snowboarders and it’s a proper full-time shop, not some dodgy outlet.  I’d be hitting them up for 10% off, too.

Great heads-up there Mudhoney, Thanks!!  cheese

Hi guys - just to let you know that all your fab advice paid off - got the boots moulded at snow monkey (who were really helpfull) and had no probs with them in NZ! cheese 

On another note, the response of the the place where I bought them when asking about heat moulding etc was that I should tie them tighter.  Won’t ever be recommending them to anyone (sorry if they are on here)