The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Snowboarding; POV mounting locations?

This is my favourite angle with PoleCam.
I’m not sure how well GoPro would do it but it’s not impossible because it is an almost square mounting angle holding the pole at about 45? - I don’t even think about the pole when riding like this and as seen in my vid with Tjswish from June 22nd even when falling in deep snow it holds the shot. I have been using PoleCam for a few years now and may just have gotten used to it.

Photobucket

This is probably the angle your going for AJ2theC since it’s an over the shoulder view similar to what you would get from the car.

finney is right about your head absorbing choppiness. Headcams rely on your head to act as a stabiliser. But because of the processing power of your brain people look in many different directions per second. This is the reason POV’s have evolved to have a very wide FOV (field of view) - it reduces the effect of head turning.

Great response guys, got heaps of ideas. Thanks!

Tried to jimmy up a binding mount (as above) but couldn’t make it rigid enough. Tried a 90cm pole: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bv_3GC—fk , needs to be a tad longer IMO. Knocked up a 150cm pole just then, the extra length makes it a lot heavier.

So what are people’s pole lengths smile?

The pole that I have used once so far is an extendable one that goes from 70-140cm!!!!!

It is a $11 setup made of bits from Bunno’s, made of steel, and if ya see in the pic I hold it up from the handle probably 15cm away from the “extendable joint” that is in the middle of the pole, I found that the weight factor is fine, maybe due to the counter balance effects of the steel/hold placement!!!!

The pic shows it at full extension!!!!!

Having the handle or hold not at the bottom makes a lot of difference. I’ve also found the strap on ski poles helps greatly with weight and stability though I prefer to change hands to often.

Of the many poles in my kit the one I use most is about 100cm. It’s not ideal for framing as I often go out of shot but it is good for every day use.
The longest is almost 200cm!

Length will depend on your FOV (my cam is 142?) and what angle you shoot from.

Wow guys I picked-up an old Contour HD 720p camera for the Shred. I spent an hour thinking about where would be the best to mount the camera. Unfortunately I’ve got a Smith variant brim and it’s not the best option for a helmet mount. So after minor adjustments to the profile of the helmet (using a file) I mounted the base plate and fixed a couple of cable ties for good measure.

I think the natural shock absorbancy of the human body should negate a lot of the bouncy-bouncy and I reckon a side mount will help with the noddy-noddy of the pitching of the helmet. Anyways that’s what I hope will happen.The geometry makes sense.

I’m keen to have a few runs with the cam in the helmet before using a pole like our BW friends Spaz and Mizu etc. I have to say that I’m keen on the trialling 45 degree camera point cos I think it gives a nice third person perspective.

Anyways I’ve got myself a vimeo account and have the software on the laptop I’ll be bringing down to the Shred. Looking to do some basic video editing and posting some vids of me and other Shredders runs on BW forums. Should be fun.

Just need some advice re a decent free MOV editing program. I intend to edit the MOV files and then convert them to whatever format I choose later, probably with a view to storing them on my home file server. That way I can watch them on various devices around the house once I get home.

MU

Good stuff MU!!!!!!

I just use iMovie for mine, but Windows Movie Maker is pretty similar!!!!!!

Can’t wait to see ya work!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 10 September 2011 11:07 AM

Good stuff MU!!!!!!

I just use iMovie for mine, but Windows Movie Maker is pretty similar!!!!!!

Can’t wait to see ya work!!!!!

Hi Mizu, remembered I have a full install of Pinnacle Studio 12 in the cupboard…Yeh baby…Looked it up and it should cope with my meager demands. I’ll take .mov output and make it grab it’s ankles so I reckon I can manipulate it pretty well. I want to get hold of an old mixing deck to add some music, but I still have to source one…should be able to pick one up for cheap, if not I’ll re-install an old DJ program.

Anyways I’ll be bringing some of my kit down and I’ll be really keen to drink some beer and talk some sh*t re this stuff.

Mu

MpegStreamclip is what your after MU.
http://www.squared5.com

IT’S FREE and the best.