The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Help with with first snowboard

A bit of introduction before I start asking for help!

Hi, My name is michael and I have a problem.. I’m addicted to snowboarding.

My specs:

Height: 171cm
Weight: 70kg(currently in lazy mode) but will most likely hit my training weight of 73-75kg once i hit the gym again if that makes any difference to the board length at all.
Boot size: 8 US

I ‘m still a total newbie but have a few days under my belt.
Bought a pair of forum kickers locally earlier in the season and now looking at a snowboard+bindings.
Just bought the freedom pass for perisher 2012 and was about to buy a k2 raygun 153 2011+ burton mission 2011 bindings for roughly $600 online..

After quite a bit of reading on this forum I have decided to put the purchase on hold and shamelessly ask for help here.  oh oh
Would definitely buy local if the price does not explode too much.
I’m not really interested in park riding, mainly just do normal runs.

Is my choice of the k2 raygun 153 and burton mission bindings good? do you guys have any other suggestions?
and point me to a local retailer for said suggestions too please.

P.S. Looking at buying the board+binding urgent too, since we are heading to PB in a couple of weeks to get our 2012 season pass

Thank you,

Mick~

incubus, firstly welcome to BoardWorld! The helpfull comments will most assuredly follow, I unfortunately can only give welcome, you are off to a great start- knowledge is power!  and I would reccomend growing like 20 odd cm cause I think you are too small cheese  . . seriously, the experts are around here somewhere rolleyes  guys? girls?  blank stare

Welcome aboard (pardon ther pun!) Incubus - (my No 1 band), it wasnt that long ago i was putting my first post up here, and believe me, these guys are very helpful. I have just started as well, and on the weekend made my first board purchase. Believe me, there is plenty of options out there!

I cant really give you too much advice in regards to what board choice, but a few qs i know you will be asked and have to properly consider before making a purchase is what type of riding do you think you will be doing? Park, freestyle etc…. How long have you been riding, what stage are you at with your riding etc..

Anyway, post the answer to the above up and the pros will be able to point you in the right direction.

Hey Incubus
Just thought you’d like to know that you’ve made a good choice with the Forum Kickers. They are a super tough outer, little bit stiff, really aggressive boot!
I really like them (except I wore a size down from my foot size and wore a hole in the liners teacherboy )
You’re really going to like them for free riding and carving!

@ snowdragon, unfortunately I can no longer grow vertically..

I mainly do free mountain riding, done 8days over 2 seasons thus far.
Still a beginner, but can do the basics. (thredbo lvl4-5 beginner lessons)

My mind is kinda set on that k2 raygun 153, more of a question of whether I can get it locally without feeling a bit “ripped off”.
Will be doing as much searching around local retailers as possible but being a tradie, its hard to find any free time!

@ andy aiten

thanks for the info on the boots, that’s exactly the area I’m trying to learn.. Only doing skidded turns at the moment..

Andy Aitken - 05 September 2011 11:49 AM

. . . free riding . . .

*‘freeriding’ - no space.

Welcome to Boardworld, incubus.  cool smile

Are you mainly planning on riding in Australia? If so, the Raygun 153 will be a nice board to learn and progress on. It has K2’s ‘All Terrain Rocker’ which is basically flat between the feet and directional rocker in the nose and tail. This will provide a nice, versatile platform to explore the mountain and improve your skills. Directional shape and setback stance which will work well for all-mountain. The only notable down side to consider is the extruded base; not really a bad thing but extruded bases are cheaper and slower than their sintered counterparts. The board retails at $600 if I remember correctly, so if you can get the board and Mission bindings for $600 that’s a pretty good deal.

The Missions are good bindings. Not too soft or stiff, good features, and good value for money. If you can afford the difference, I would probably step up to the Burton Cartels; more comfortable and more responsive (this will be a good thing as you progress).

All stores have huge sales on now and nearly all of them will ship for free. Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks rider26,

This board is for riding in Australia only.

I swung by ESS parra earlier and got recommended a gnu carbon credit btx 153 + burton mission bindings for $710.
How does that board compare to the k2 raygun? I prefer freeriding and carving over park. Would pay the extra if it means ‘helping’ out the local retailer a bit.

I really like the Carbon Credit as it is fun board to learn on and good value for money.

Here are the differences you need to consider:

The Carbon Credit is pretty much a full rockered board (flat under the feet). The Raygun is flat between the feet and rockered in the nose and tail. Honestly, not too much difference there in terms of performance. Both would be fun and easy to progress on.

The Carbon Credit is twin shaped while the Raygun is directional (with a setback stance). The Carbon Credit will offer more versatility for riding switch and progressing freestyle skills.

The Carbon Credit has Magne-traction so you will get increased edge hold here. Overall these boards aren’t too different but I would lean towards the Carbon Credit.

Thank you again,
but the more research I do the more i like the Burton Custom Flying V 154 2011 or 2012 for the camber under the feet..
only trouble is can’t find one available on any Aus online sites.

So I have narrowed down my options;
Burton Custom Flying V 154, if none are available then I’ll settle for the Gnu Carbon Credit 153

Can anyone kindly point me to an aus online site or shop which might have it.

Thanks in advance!

I’ll call around and also speak to Burton tomorrow for you. Hopefully we can track one down.

If you asked me between the Custom and the Carbon Credit, the GNU wins hands down.

With the amount of Ice you will hit in Australia, the extra grip that the magnetraction gives really helps. I think the length you are looking at is perfect for your size and the full rocker from the CC will make it easier to learn on. (though the Burton is Reverse Camber so that would be easy as well.)

+ the GNU looks mad, I find the Custom looks boring.

Finger crossed, Can’t thank you enough whether you can find one or not.

incubus - out of the CC and custom, if you want a board you will grow into, from what i have larnt over the last month - def go with the custom in the 154 - heard great reviews about it, and was one of the boards i was considering, but i got myself a k2 parkstar =)