The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Thredbo bring out a counter offer. Its pretty good

blizzard_22 - 06 September 2011 04:46 AM

Some of them are too steep.

The main issue is that Front Valley is the first run most people get to and is the way home for most people.

Punters get scared of blue runs (not that they are hard…)

So if Front Valley was a blue (which it probably should be) than everyone moves to Smiggins and Smiggins is already not big enough for another influx of people. Or they get the tube over to Blue Moo and Pleasant Valley is choker Block!

Finney on your topic of those passes not really doing much for the people who just do a week a year…that is a whole different kettle of fish and market….these passes are aimed at the people who would be getting season passes anyway, or nearly doing enough riding to get a season pass, so would try and squeeze in some extra riding cos they have already shelled out the cash.
I agree the prices for a week at the snow with a family are way out of control though and make it far too expensive for a regular family to be able to afford it, and they could definitely be doing more earlybird deals for those kind of packages.

cords - 06 September 2011 07:37 AM

Finney on your topic of those passes not really doing much for the people who just do a week a year…that is a whole different kettle of fish and market….these passes are aimed at the people who would be getting season passes anyway, or nearly doing enough riding to get a season pass, so would try and squeeze in some extra riding cos they have already shelled out the cash.
I agree the prices for a week at the snow with a family are way out of control though and make it far too expensive for a regular family to be able to afford it, and they could definitely be doing more earlybird deals for those kind of packages.

Prices are definitely too expensive for the average family. Five days on the snow at Thredbo costs us over $3000. That’s over $600 a day. The $699 season ticket will help, but to be realistic it’s not worth getting one for the whole family cos the kids need to be in the Milo club for at least half the time or the whole holiday turns in to a very expensive child-minding exercise. Don’t get me wrong I love hanging with the family, but parents need a break and I can’t teach them to ski or board anyway.

Basically I agree with cords. The people who can afford to head OS will still do so. This is about exploiting a new market. Encouraging people to spend more time at the snow than they could afford to before (like us) and new customers who just haven’t had the money to have a snow holiday until now. That’s why Perisher and Thredbo were raffling off $1 a day first timer ski passes a couple of weeks ago… to give people a taste. I reckon if you analysed the numbers you’d see s drop off in customers over the past few years and now the strength of the Aussie dollar has forced the resorts to drop their prices. I reckon they’ll be competitive for a few years or at least until the Aussie drops drops in value.

MU

So are some others gonna take up this deal? Or is everyone already settled on Perisher? Remember the deal will also pay for the upcoming shred smile

Dan83 - 07 September 2011 03:21 AM

So are some others gonna take up this deal? Or is everyone already settled on Perisher? Remember the deal will also pay for the upcoming shred smile

but perisher one will pay for next years shred tongue wink

So is next years shred at P?  downer

Yep grin

Yeah it will be. Thredbo have been a nightmare to deal with. It’s a real shame. As much as I love riding there, I don’t think we will ever stage an official event down there again. Their management team are so…  rage

deanobruce - 06 September 2011 05:47 AM

i dont know, my missus is a learner and seemed to be able to handle them all. and she is far from proficient, she might not have gone on the ones you are talking about maybe…

if falls/hotham do a similar deal like the thredders/perisher i am in like motherf#*king flynn

Pretty sure Flynn is going to NZ smile

eh?

rider26 - 07 September 2011 03:28 AM

Yeah it will be. Thredbo have been a nightmare to deal with. It’s a real shame. As much as I love riding there, I don’t think we will ever stage an official event down there again. Their management team are so…  rage

Yep I don’t want to dump on Thredbo cos I like riding there too. I just think the change to Perisher for next year’s Shred will be a good move even if it’s just for the change. There’s nothing that says we couldn’t ride for a day at Thredbo anyway. It’s a free country right…albeit a slightly less expensive one now they’ve wised-up.

MU

rider26 - 07 September 2011 03:28 AM

Fair enough. Thredbo will always be my pick though. I just like what the mountain has to offer and having a cool village at the base.

deanobruce - 07 September 2011 05:27 AM

eh?

nothing…just being an idiot.

not that i care but its for my wife does this include the leasons as well ??

Pretty sure that it doesn’t!!!!!!