The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Atomic Boards?

humdingaling - 02 September 2011 02:18 PM

funny enough i loved riding switch when i first started as well
as im a goofy on the skate board but a regular on the snowboard

i can see why you would like it then!

me, i couldnt ride switch to save my life for a few months

TJswish - 02 September 2011 05:00 PM
Gamblor - 02 September 2011 06:49 AM

when Atomic first came out with boards (about 10 years ago) they had a good rep. I was in Whistler then. Since then they’ve gotten really quiet.

Ski Brands I would not touch with a 10 foot pole for snowboard equipment:
Atomic
Elan
Head
Dynastar

Ski Brands that I don’t really like but if they did something special, I would consider:
Rossignol
Salomon

Ski Brands that make both but put heart and soul into both sports and I would consider when choosing a board:
K2

Don’t really think you can say K2 is ok but Rossi and Salomon or the others suck.
Head had the intelligence series (the boards with the chips in them), Rossignol sponsored Tadashi Fuse, JF Pelchat and Jeremy Jones back in the day. They sponsor Xavier De Le Rue now, and they have the Experience snowboard (which I have and it is the best freeride/bc board I have ever ridden). Next, Salomon have Dirksen on the sick stick (a great powder board) and Wolle on the Grip <= which looks like a sick board too. In 2012 they have the man’s board which looks pretty good too. Dynastar - do they make boards?
and finally, Elan. I quote,

Drawing on a long history of ski technology, the Elan Snowboard Factory began pressing boards in 1987 and has evolved into the world’s largest OEM, snowboard-only factory, building nearly a quarter of a million decks last season. Partners of the Elan Snowboard Factory currently include Capita, Arbor, Rome, Bataleon, Nitro, Elan, Lobster, Artec, Dinosaurs Will Die, Academy, Allian, and Amplid, amongst other smaller brands.

That said, apart from a couple of K2 boards, and the rossi experience, I would not personally buy from any of the listed ski companies. There’s too much choice out there and those companies don’t stoke me out. When I was renting boards in Europe on a couple of trips, I was stoked to find a Head board in all the crap. It rode fine.

Thanks for the info. The K2 Weapon is a decent park board, the darkstar and the parkstar also good boards so K2 is allowed on my radar.

I have a Rossi District… Its ok but I wouldn’t reccommend.

And I would buy Capita, Arbor, Rome, Bataleon, Nitro or Lobster but any of the others you mentioned from elan (including elan themselves) I wouldn’t touch with a 10 foot pole. They don’t feel snowboard to me…

I’ll gladly partake in a Dinosaurs Will Die!!!!!

I might be wrong, but I think that Rossignol made/assisted in DC and ROXY boards havin bein owned by Quicksilver!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 03 September 2011 06:45 AM

I’ll gladly partake in a Dinosaurs Will Die!!!!!

Oooooooohhhhhhh yeah!!!

The 2012 DWD Rat is my pick for best graphic for next season:

DWD is also a prime example of snowboard company that people who care about snowboarding SHOULD support:

http://burritosandsnow.com/2011/02/06/how-sean-genovese-saved-sia-for-me/

Here’s a link to the 2012 catalogue for anyone who’s interested:

http://www.dinosaurswilldie.com/1112 product/dwd1112pdfCATALOG.pdf (copy/paste it)