The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

boots: fast track vs lace-up

any thoughts?

i assume you mean speed-lace vs traditional lace
as fast track is only 32 (i think)

if this is the case you will need to throw in BOA to arguement

i think it comes down to personal preference thing

anecdotally - females prefer the speed-lace/boa due to ease to tighten

I’ve had a pair of speed-lace Ride Anthems since 2009. After some heavy use they’re still in incredibly condition (completely waterproof, laces haven’t got any signs of damage, perfect fit). I find the speed-lace system to be convenient when setting up/undoing boots and much easier to adjust up on the mountain, but traditional laces have the advantage of being able to get them tighter and being more comfortable (thick laces vs. the thin laces the speed system has). But as humdingaling said, it ultimately comes down to personal preference.

Havin just gone from BOA to Laces, I’ll go Laces!!!!!

Kinda like quick entry/release bindings, for the couple of extra minutes/seconds spent doin/undoin, I don’t see any real advantage to speed/fast track/BOA/etc!!!!!

Yeah, Humdingaling is right. It’s all personal preference.

My preference is Burton speed laces.
As an instructor (board and sometimes ski) I like to be able to put my boots on quickly with out to much messing around. Plus people often don’t know how to tie up their boots properly so I have to tie up so many rental boots for people it drives me nuts.
I also think (imo) burton speed laces can get cranked as tight or tighter than laces (people will disagree, probably finney raspberry)

I do get the positives of normal laces though: Easy and cheap to replace the laces. If you have weird feet then you can have tighter and looser zones in the boot depending on how you tie it.

As far as the BOA system goes, i haven’t owned any but I have tried heaps on. I find the single BOA goes tight at the top and to loose at the bottom. The double BOA is good cause it tightens in a high and a low zone like the burton speed lace. I haven’t owned any though cause I have seen so many break. Though I’m told they have improved a lot and their warranty is good.

So yeah, personal preference   smile

I’ve always had laces, until the current boots- I really like the speed lace thing. Was apprehesive for a bit, but they make it heaps easier to adjust loosen/tighten while mid trail or wherever.
Plus I used to slowly saw thru my bottom left boot lace on the chairlift resting my board on my foot- no lace there now to do that to smile  . . back when my board had good edges anyways wink

ive got fast track on my boots and there great!!! so quick and easy 2 do up, during the length of riding they can become a bit loose but they’re so quick to tighten back up i dont really find it an issue

I heard the FT laces used to be hard to find and difficult to replace if they break, but that has been mainly fixed now.  Will be trying some various boots on to hopefully buy next week, will let you know how I go.

I absolutely love Burton’s Speed Zone system. I’ve been using Speed Zone since it first came out. Super fast, great fit, and functional. Highly recommended.

Stay away from single BOA systems. No customisation of fit, causes boot fit problems. Double BOA systems work well. Only comes on high end models though.

ThirtyTwo’s Fast Track system works really well too. Similar to Speed Zone, works a bit differently.

Laces are laces. Reliable, good fit, just a bit of a pain in the ass when compared to the other systems. wink

You callin me a pain in the arse gain????  hmmm

I had laces, went to boa’s (I always struggled to get a good pressure with laces). Boa wore out way too quick and was either too tight in places or too lose then went to Burton Speed Laces and they seem to be the winner. Easy to do up, good pressure, can do them up with a fractured finger lol.

Agree with rider26. Burton Speed Zone is the best. Really quick. With regular laces, I can’t seem to tie them off real tight and they tend to get loose through out the day.

rider26 - 01 September 2011 12:08 PM

I absolutely love Burton’s Speed Zone system. I’ve been using Speed Zone since it first came out. Super fast, great fit, and functional. Highly recommended.

+ 1 and a !

I’m not sure what the system is called that my Northwave boots have, but it is SO damn good! Easy to get tight, fast to do, and easy to get out of at the end of the day. Have had Boa and had laces and would never go back to either. Love my northwave opals!

rider26 - 01 September 2011 12:08 PM

WORD.

Andy Aitken - 01 September 2011 07:27 AM

I also think (imo) burton speed laces can get cranked as tight or tighter than laces (people will disagree, probably finney raspberry)

So yeah, personal preference   smile

hahahaha why am I not surprised you brought my name into that - I’ve always been a fan of laces, just so happens that the best fitting boots I’ve had were lace ups. Will be buying new boots this season so will just see what has the best fit for my feet. I’m open to trying the speed zone lacing system as I’ll be honest I was getting a bit over the constant calluses from doing up boots every day - hands are finally back to normal now after 3 months raspberry