The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Well worth a read…

I came across a short article today that manages to put form to pretty much all my frustrations about Australia at the moment. Well written, amusing and 100% correct. I enjoyed it so much I even spent the time reading all 300 comments, many of which were hilarious. Interested to hear others thoughts.

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/2853464.html

Great read!!!

Chicken Gourmet is GROSS sober LOL, and there is plenty of good coffee in Canberra!!! Why are there so many Canberra bashers?!

dunno, blizz! I love the place.

Good read.

Valid point too.

Chicken gourmet?! Really!? I had a few chips when drunk that was about it and they were average at best then!

NY Big Slice is the way to go now!

A great read cords

haha blizz I meant I dunno why everyone picks on canberra either. Have only ever had chicken gourmet when I’ve been under the influence. haha

cords - 25 August 2011 11:47 AM

I came across a short article today that manages to put form to pretty much all my frustrations about Australia at the moment. Well written, amusing and 100% correct. I enjoyed it so much I even spent the time reading all 300 comments, many of which were hilarious. Interested to hear others thoughts.

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/2853464.html

Hi cords I’ve been here for 28 years and I have to say I think Canberra is a pretty good place to live, that being said I’ll say no more about Canberra cos it doesn’t need defending from the rant of a spoiled teenager.

I think when you look beneath all the symptoms described in the article there lies the basic fact that Australia is not the great egalitarian society with a ‘get on with it it’ attitude that it once was. We have become, for the most part, conditioned to be complacent, selfish, self-indulgent and have become slaves to consumerism and expect handouts at every turn. There is a seriously devolved sense of self-responsibility and people have less expectation that they will be held accountable for their actions.

Anyways this is hardly an Australian problem alone. There are other countries (western world) who are mired in much bigger social problems. Australia is still one of the best countries in the world and we still have a lot to be proud of.

MU

MoonUnit - 25 August 2011 09:35 PM

. . . Australia is not the great egalitarian society with a ‘get on with it it’ attitude that it once was. We have become, for the most part, conditioned to be complacent, selfish, self-indulgent and have become slaves to consumerism and expect handouts at every turn. There is a seriously devolved sense of self-responsibility and people have less expectation that they will be held accountable for their actions.

The majority of the population’s blinkered, dogmatic adherence to political correctness is to blame. The sheeple of Australia are now much more concerned with being seen not to offend anybody than they are with expressing their genuine feelings and opinions.

The more the self righteous, touchy-feely, do-gooder, snivel libertarian, leftard types are allowed to get their way, the further Australia will slide downhill.

Isn’t it ironic that the author of that piece, is havin a whinge about some “Fluff” that a 17 year old student wrote!!!!!

Time to have a good look in the mirror, me thinks!!!!!  hmmm

cant say i have enjoyed canberra much the times i have been there. although mooseheads on a thurs night is…eventful haha

Great article, loved the “Give yourself an uppercut.” line.

Reminds me of another website I stumbled across recently - http://whitewhine.com/

deanobruce - 25 August 2011 10:46 PM

cant say i have enjoyed canberra much the times i have been there. although mooseheads on a thurs night is…eventful haha

Err…yup. I used to work there when it was called JD’s and Thursday through Saturday nights got very interesting indeed.

MU

Mooseheads… Snorefest can’t stand the place! Unipub is the way to go now!!!