The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Washing snow clothes

HELP!!! I loaned a pair of pants and jacket to a friend for the snow and I got it back to find it REEKING of smoke!!!

Washed em (water wash only) and they still stink!!!

Advice anyone?! I am devo, these are my fav pants!!!

Wow… what a shit friend…

Personally I would hang the pants out on the line and spray them with deodorant every few hours for a sunny day and then water wash them.

But im a 25yo guy… smile

That sucks blizz!! Just keep airing them?? You wouldn’t want to wash em too much with waterproofing and all?!

Take up smoking????  cool hmm

No offense to any smokers but I dispise the habit! Its filthy and a waste of money

What Brand are they?

all i have ever heard is to never machine wash/wash snow clothes at all?

i have never needed to. just a spray of deoderant and bam, ready to go

I just bought (arrived today) all these different nikwax products. There’s one for washing clothes in the washing machine, one for washing while also re-waterproofing, and a spray on waterproof. Bought them online, but from US so don’t know whether I should post the link…

Been looking at random forums, they mostly say follow directions on the tag, but

“Wash your clothing in Nix wax solution. It is specially made for specialty clothing like ski stuff. Do not use regular detergent it will clog the pours of the jacket. Never dry in the dryer.. line dry”

“Wash in the tech wash first then the TXD to retore waterproofing, afterwards you’ll have gear thats good as new”

the general consensus seems to be Laundrey detergent is bad, either clogs or slowly reduces your waterproofing.  Technique for cleaning differs between how good a quality the clothing is, maybe look it up through the Brand Website?

blizzard_22 - 11 August 2011 09:21 PM

No offense to any smokers but I dispise the habit! Its filthy and a waste of money

tell us what u really think .......

LOL

But is the smell from ciggies or bongs/joints?  As a non smoker can you really tell the difference?

I had a similar problem to you - lent pants and jacket to a mate and before he gave them back his mum (its another story why a 24 year old needs his mum to do his washing!!!) soaked them both with detergent and then ran them both through the wash as well. Not impressed. Completely lost the waterproofing and smelt like cuddly on roids.

Like snowdragon said - tech wash should do the trick. If it isn’t as waterproof as it should be after washing with that, then use the TX Direct wash-in to restore it. And definitely don’t put it in the dryer.

Don’t use the spray-on version - you need to use practically a whole bottle to do one jacket and its costs a fortune. The spray-on waterproofer is only good for stuff like backpacks and uggies. Waterproof ugg-boots are the sh*t!!!

Thanks all!!!

I read the tag and it said cold water wash, tumble dry low, do not bleach….

I just did a gentle wash and let them drip dry so when they are fully dry I might just do a TJ and spray some deod on em LOL. Although on Mythbusters, spraying vodka on a smoke smelling item before washing in water apparently removes the smell. LOL

The pants are Goretex and are actually fleece lined so I might just spray some sort of fabric spray on the inside that way I aint touching the shell at all.

my first burton down jacket was bought 2nd hand from some pot smokers in the usa off ebay… it took 5 cycles through a front loader to get the smell out…but got the jacket for 65USD which was wicked

If it’s Goretex you can use a normal detergent or Nikwax. Goretex themselves say to just wash it with normal detergent. Always dry Goretex by putting it in the dryer on a low setting. The heat from the drying cycle actually re-activates the DWR coating (the water repellency and breathablity of the Goretex will be restored).

I used to buy Nikwax all the time but after speaking to Goretex directly, they said normal detergent does the same job. If you’re worried about what snowdragon mentioned, just give it an extra rinse cycle or rinse it by hand at the end.

If you really want to restore the DWR coating, use the Nikwax TX.Direct Spray-On. This is done after the outerwear is washed.

More info here: http://www.gore-tex.com.au/www/348/1001127/displayarticle/1001215.html

I let my mate borrow my wetsuit once, and it came back WREAKING of piss! He obviously warmed himself up only a very short time before he left the water. I was a little upset to say the least.

Needless to say I no longer let anybody borrow my wetsuit.