The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Battle of the thin and light laptops

Article in SMH today.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/shootout-thin-and-light-laptops-20110810-1ilhq.html

What would you buy? I’m loving the new Macbook Air.

rider26 - 10 August 2011 11:47 PM

Article in SMH today.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/shootout-thin-and-light-laptops-20110810-1ilhq.html

What would you buy? I’m loving the new Macbook Air.

I’d buy a green apple… they are more tasty than the red variety.

Oh, I’d buy a desktop… you don’t need to replace them as often and they generally run better smile

Fairfax obviously trying to justify it’s purchase of apple crap again.  Just ignore me I have a deep seated hatred of all things apple borne out of watching ppl develop short lived superiority complexes after purchasing the product.  I try not to say I told you so when they realise they are proprietary pieces of crap that make things that pc windows/linux users take for granted very difficult.  I try not to piss myself laughing when after the battery dies/other component failure the cost to repair is 9/10ths of the replacement cost.

I haven’t ever bought a laptop as I have been provided a work one for the last 10yrs but if I was to get pay for it I’d probably just get a Dell, having the sexiest, thinnest, lightest case is unimportant, function over fashion please!

nthnbeachesguy - 11 August 2011 04:23 AM

Fairfax obviously trying to justify it’s purchase of apple crap again.  Just ignore me I have a deep seated hatred of all things apple borne out of watching ppl develop short lived superiority complexes after purchasing the product.  I try not to say I told you so when they realise they are proprietary pieces of crap that make things that pc windows/linux users take for granted very difficult.  I try not to piss myself laughing when after the battery dies/other component failure the cost to repair is 9/10ths of the replacement cost.

Hello can we be friends please!

I’m with you guys smile

Ohh, you MS OS guys just keep on tellin yaself the same thing that I once told myself!!!!!

Just blow the cobwebs outta ya wallets and live, just live I tells ya!!!!!

TJ I didn’t see the pic when i was at work - love it!

What shites me most is all you iphone user continue to send me text msg/ MMS. Why have a fancy smart phone if your not going to use email?

I have an Iphone till November when I can change to a HTC… This piece of sh!t is slow and lacks features that should be standard.

Yeah HTC looks good.

I am a blackberry girl - I like the keyboard. Hanging out for the 9900 to come out with full keyboard and touch screen (not slidy thingy)

Not sure if that has been posted previously but it made me laugh the first time I saw it.

Ozgirl, yeah sure no worries, united in hate for Apple.

I have an older HTC courtesy of work, unfortunately it runs W6.1 OS rather than Andriod but they need windows based phones for the techs mobility application.  It does have a slide qwerty keyboard and normal touchscreen keyboard when the slide is closed.  It works ok.  Mate just got a new HTC, he reckons it’s awesome, came off a lot of Nokias and blackberries like me. 

I’m a little hesitant to go without the physical keyboard, there is a really good motorola out at the moment that runs android, if I can break the HTC I could go pick one up on the work Amex.

We have an offering at my company that enables you to monitor your buildings controls and your sustainability rating and power consumption etc etc remotely via an Ipad (actually just about any pad with 3G etc but we bundle the Ipad).  I swear to christ some of the greenie sustainability team leader types make a recommendation for a system that costs in the tens sometimes hundreds of thousands based on the fact IT COMES WITH A MUTHAFUCKEN IPAD, SCORE, WIN, AWESOMENESS, COWAFUCKENBUNGA DUDE!

Call me weird but everytime someone pulls one out my first thought is “wanker”.  The marketing team at Apple is that good they could bring out the “Apple IShit” and having a month long waiting list of muppets who can’t wait to have a big steaming dogturd with an Apple logo on the side.

That choice of laptops is a no brainer - only one (the MacBook Air) natively boots into the Mac OS, so it’s the ONLY rational choice.

It’s simple: all hardware considerations aside, Microsoft has been playing catchup for many years in their futile attempts to, ummmmm, “emulate” the Mac OS - and although Windows 7’s a huge improvement over their other bloated, counter-intuitive, bug-ridden pieces of crap, it’s not even close to the OS it’s attempting to, well, let’s face it, copy. For people who actually know how to get the most out of an operating system, there’s simply no comparison.

chucky - 11 August 2011 12:12 PM

That choice of laptops is a no brainer - only one (the MacBook Air) natively boots into the Mac OS, so it’s the ONLY rational choice.

And why is that the only rational choice… Because you are an apple fanboy…

I have nothing against apple users and for video editing and photoshop, they do a fantastic job. But if you don’t do video editing more than once a year or photoshop more than a few pictures *(which windows does fine as well) then why pay an extra few hundred dollars for a backwards operating system and a non-upgradable computer.

Seems to be a lot of aggression from the MS crew!!!!!

Pent up frustration from shitty technology???? Too much red meat in the diet???? More fiber needed????

Try an apple!!!!

No just a backlash, Apple users are like born again christians, the delusional behaviour is incredibly irritating to those who have it rammed down their throats. 

I built my media pc, it’s connected to my 50” plasma and Sony surround sound system, I watch and record tv through it, I edit video’s and pictures with Adobe software, I browse the net with google chrome, use pretty much all of MS office on it, use my magical satellite TV encoder to get and watch the latest movies, anytime I need a some software I can jump on the net and find it within about 38secs, all for the princely sum of $800.

nthnbeachesguy - 11 August 2011 09:59 PM

No just a backlash, Apple users are like born again christians, the delusional behaviour is incredibly irritating to those who have it rammed down their throats. 

I built my media pc, it’s connected to my 50” plasma and Sony surround sound system, I watch and record tv through it, I edit video’s and pictures with Adobe software, I browse the net with google chrome, use pretty much all of MS office on it, use my magical satellite TV encoder to get and watch the latest movies, anytime I need a some software I can jump on the net and find it within about 38secs, all for the princely sum of $800.

I have a netbook -$300 for watching TV on my 38” (I don’t watch enough TV for a bigger one lol) and it’s connected to my custom built beast of a PC upstairs - $1500. Both together were cheaper than a Mac and the PC definitely runs better than any mac I’ve seen smile. And I love that I can get any software nice and quick off my awesome internet plan!

Hey guys,

Anyone know if i step up/install utorrent on a USB drive and download straight to said usb drive, via my work laptop, using home internet. If work would know/kick my arse for it??

My PC died a couple weeks ago (current still using it but running linux off a thumb drive and struggling to download with it)

(hoping this lappy is still for sale when my tax chq clears! - http://www.graysonline.com/retail/bn-ld948par/computers-and-it-equipment/hp-pavilion-dv7-5003tx-17-3-inch-argento-blush-notebook?spr=true)