The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

REVIEW: YES Tasman(iac)

REVIEW: YES TASMAN(IAC)

Rider: Jeremy Sheridan

Rider weight: 65kg

Boot size: 9 US

Board category: All-mountain / Freestyle

Board size: 152cm

Stance: Centred

Test location: Thredbo, Australia

Snow conditions: Groomed, softpack, park

GENERAL REVIEW:

The YES Tasman(iac) is a 2012 model limited edition snowboard only available in Australia and New Zealand (120 units made). It’s based on the profile of the 2012 The Great Beauties. The graphics were designed locally by Kindred Design.

The Tasman(iac) features the YES CamRock profile; camber between the feet, and rocker in the nose and tail. This particular hybrid camber profile maintains stability and pop, while still providing a forgiving and playful ride. One of the stand-out features is the asymmetrical sidecut, which utilises a deeper sidecut on the heelside edge and a shallower sidecut on the toeside edge. The asymmetrical sidecut evens out the biomechanic differences between a heelside and toeside turn.

The Tasman(iac) is a really fun board to ride in Australian conditions, or anywhere requiring a versatile ride. It’s super fast due to the sintered 9000 base and stable enough to bomb any run. The board has a true twin shape and flex. In fact, there is no defined nose or tail, so the board rides exactly the same in either direction. Rocker in the nose and tail gives the board a loose and playful feel, while carbon stringers provide energy and pop. It butters very nicely and the board is soft enough for easy pressing. The board rides beautifully in the park; it felt perfect on jumps, and nice and smooth on rails.

Unfortunately I didn’t get the opportunity to test the board in powder, but I’d expect it to ride quite well in deep snow. Boards with rocker in the nose and tail tend to float quite well in powder. Overall, I had a lot of fun riding the Tasman(iac), whether bombing groomers or lapping the park. Two days was not enough time to really appreciate the features on offer with the Tasman(iac). I would love the opportunity to ride this board again.

PERSONAL RATINGS (out of 10):

Best use: All-mountain, park

Flex (10 being the stiffest): 5.5

Carving: 6.5 (hard to test due to soft conditions)

Groomers: 7

Powder: not tested

Jumps: 8

Jibbing: 8

Overall: 7.5 (as an all-mountain / park snowboard)

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reply to this thread.

Gnu Pickle has had the Assym sidecut for a few years now, have you ever ridden that board and how does it compare to the Yes?

I can’t say I’ve ridden the GNU Park Pickle. This was actually the first board I’ve tested with an asymmetrical sidecut. I think the benefits of an asymmetrical sidecut would mostly be felt when carving, which unfortunately I didn’t get much opportunity to do (overnight rain and warm temps softened the snowpack).

Two questions, does this model have UltraGrip? if so how did it feel? Probably will mostly benifit when carving on harder snow so you might not have noticed.

Also, that colourway doesnt seem to have the “Im goofy” and “im regular” at either end. Is that an even more limited edition?

The Tasmaniac doesn’t have the UltraGrip - only the great beauties and dudes have had that.

The whole I’m regular/I’m goofy thing is actually quite hard to see with some of the colour combos unless you’re up close. Also looking at Jeremy’s binding placement it looks like it’s actually covering it a bit - I know thats definitely the case with my 54.

No, the Tasman(iac) doesn’t have UltiGrip.

It actually does have the “I’M REGULAR, I’m GOOFY” graphics. However it’s quite light and guess the lighting made it disappear in the photo. See the photo below, left to the left of the binding.

Aaah yep, cool thanks for that! Cant wait to demo one at the Shred. How did the base feel? Super fast? 9000 sintered is awesome, and carbon crap in it too haha.
I love a fast board. My Parkstart is suprisingly fast with its 4000 sintered.

Super fast!  cool grin

where’s the photo of the base??? Put that one up next please, in the flying squirrel pose

Haha, Flying Squirrel…  raspberry

Sorry I didn’t get a photo of the base. Here’s an image from our info page.

What’s your favorite board in your quiver Jer? I’m guessing the 08 Uninc?

Ah man, that’s such a tough one. It really depends on the conditions and where I’m riding. You can’t ask me to choose between my babies. Haha tongue wink

rider, i have to say, your Flux’s go look sick with both the colourways on this page!

It was the first time I’ve ever felt like everything matched, outerwear included. I was so colourful! LOL

LOL nice

Colourful is were its at. I definitely can’t wait to ride my tasmaniac. Going to be fun too seeing that I will be riding it somewhere in the northern hemisphere.