The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Time for some new kit

Thanks for the argument, rest assured I’m arguing with myself on this idea as much as the debate is going on on here.

Had another bootfitting session this arvo.

New best fit (though not without its drawbacks): Burton Ion 10.5’s.

The 10’s also fit but my slightly bigger right foot preferred the 10.5’s.  They were really comfy and the extra stiffness of them was great.

Problems:

- Having about 0.5 - 1cm of heel lift in them, a suprise considering my heels are locked down in lower model but softer and less comfy Burtons.  This was pretty well fixed by the addition of “j-bars”, as they called it, small boomerang-shaped peices of foam that velcro into place between the inner and the outer that hug the ankle between the bone and the achilles.  But these took a bit of fiddling to get them in the right place, and they are guaranteed to make getting the liner back in after taking it out (like to air the liner every couple of days riding) a PITA.  (The problem is they velco onto the inner boot’s “harness”, so the inner tears them off when you try and squeeze it in.  They j-bars need to attach between the harness and the outer boot so that the inners can slide down inside the harness and into place without pulling the j-bars off.  ‘Cos once a j-bar gets moved it’s a bastard to get it back into place again.)

- My 4th and 5th toes and a small part of my foot behind them get a little numb from these boots.  I thought it was only my right roof which was affected but after a bit longer I realised it was happening to both.  It goes away after 10secs of having the boots off, which tells me it’s likely to be a circulation thing, right?  So it could probably be relieved by packing out the boot above the foot, but that’s almost certainly not an easy fix is it?  I’ve heard several times that you want to see if you can wear in a new pair of boots without heat-moulding them unless you really need it, as the heat-moulding reduces their durability?

But still they are the best fit I’ve had so far (tried Burton, Nitro, Solomon, Ride, 32, DC, and prolly some others).  I like them but I’m concerned about the issues with them.  And especially with the $600 pricetag that IMHO makes me squirm.  I can sorta afford it but I don’t really want to.  It depends if these problems are all that significant or not?

Anyway, heading to the snow this weekend so I’ll ride my oldies and mull it over (as well as hitting up Cooma and Jindy again).

How tight were the size 10s? The Ions generally have good heel hold, even without J-bars. They are the type of boot that’s going to get a lot comfier as you break them in.

Definitely try on some ThirtyTwo boots too.

rider26 - 28 July 2011 11:29 PM

How tight were the size 10s? The Ions generally have good heel hold, even without J-bars. They are the type of boot that’s going to get a lot comfier as you break them in.

Definitely try on some ThirtyTwo boots too.

I’m thinking now 10’s may be the way to go.  I’ve tried 32’s, they’re a bit too wide for me.

In terms of riding I did 12 days last season, am on course to hit 30 days this season, and am looking at spending 3 months in Switzerland next northern winter and 1 month in Perisher next winter.  So I’m gonna have to try my top 2 pairs on again and get real critical about how much toe room I’ve got…

Now that I’ve tried every reasonably accessable store (for me) and seemingly pretty much every boot on the market with appropriate specs I’m having trouble deciding between the Burton Ion and the Imperial.

Problem is I’m experiencing a small amount of heel lift in both of them, unlike some other Burton models or other brands which hold my heel motionless but aren’t as comfortable.  I think both models come with J-bars (forgot to check inside the Imperials), but would want to avoid using them until after a year or more - not until it was absolutely necessary.

I’m looking for a go-everywhere boot to carve in and to learn freestyle stuff in.  Would the stiffer Ion’s be a bit too stiff for that?  I’m thinking the Imperial may be a better all-rounder?

I’ve been reading up on footbeds and am definately considering them, but I’ve read on other BW threads that they don’t do anything to combat heel lift?

Can heel-lift reduce in severity when you wear-in the boots over a week or more of riding?

And lastly are there certain stores that have a better reputation for doing out-of-the-box or custom footbeds?  The guy from ESS Jindabyne gave me the best impression he knew what he was doing, and I’ve also gotten great service from Balmoral Boards and First Tracks but haven’t seen either of them with anything beyond the box footbeds.

essboardstore - 04 August 2011 04:53 AM

All the ESS stores make Custom footbeds if necessary for the foot shape, In Jindy Pete and Nico are the masters..

Pete is a good guy. Used to go in there all the time when I lived at the snow.

Mike at One Track Mind knows what the go is also!!!!!  shaka

Mike is the shorter guy or the taller one?

The shorter one at OTM (sorry I’ve forgotten his name) did my custom insoles and they are mad.

mike is the guy who always has a cap on

humdingaling - 04 August 2011 05:37 AM

mike is the guy who always has a cap on

Argh! that doesn’t help… The one I’m talking about is always upstairs with the boards and boots and is always good for a chat.

He does have a pretty big crush on Burton though lol smile

Mike is skinnyish, bout 6ft old style flexfit cap on normally, cause he’s as grey as my goatie!!!!! Says “Ohhh” a lot!!!!! Nice guy!!!!!

ions are not too stiff for allround riding. they are the perfect stiffness

I agree with gamblor. Owned ions, feels stiff when you first try them, softens up after about 10-15 days.

I just purchased a Burton AK anorak 2010 for under $200, not a bad price if you are looking for ak outerwear

Now that I’ve tried every reasonably accessable store (for me) and seemingly pretty much every boot on the market with appropriate specs I’m having trouble deciding between the Burton Ion and the Imperial.

Problem is I’m experiencing a small amount of heel lift in both of them, unlike some other Burton models or other brands which hold my heel motionless but aren’t as comfortable.  I think both models come with J-bars (forgot to check inside the Imperials), but would want to avoid using them until after a year or more - not until it was absolutely necessary.

You must have a very narrow heel. I am the same. Personally I have found the top end Burton boots (Ions and SLX) to have the best heel hold out of any boots I’ve tried in recent years. I’ve owned two pairs of Ions and my current boots are 2009 SL10s (done 200 days in them and still going strong). The SLXs are in my opinion the best boot on the market, especially for narrow heels. Coincidently, they are also the most expensive. I can’t say enough good things about those boots. If you’re having heel lift in the Ions, I would suggest you put in the J-bars from the start.

I’m looking for a go-everywhere boot to carve in and to learn freestyle stuff in.  Would the stiffer Ion’s be a bit too stiff for that?  I’m thinking the Imperial may be a better all-rounder?

They certainly aren’t too stiff for all mountain / freestyle. As mentioned, pretty much the perfect flex pattern. Nice and supportive but soft enough for everything. They will soften up as they break in.

I’ve been reading up on footbeds and am definately considering them, but I’ve read on other BW threads that they don’t do anything to combat heel lift?

They give you support underneath the boot, giving you a better all-round fit. This stops your feet moving in the boot; your feet are anchored in from the mirror image connecting between the boot and the bottom on your foot. It could actually minimise some heel lift but will certainly minimise movement within the boot. Most importantly, it’s going to give you much needed arch support; more comfortable and better for your ankle and knee joints.

Can heel-lift reduce in severity when you wear-in the boots over a week or more of riding?

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed that.

And lastly are there certain stores that have a better reputation for doing out-of-the-box or custom footbeds?  The guy from ESS Jindabyne gave me the best impression he knew what he was doing, and I’ve also gotten great service from Balmoral Boards and First Tracks but haven’t seen either of them with anything beyond the box footbeds.

Apart from those already mentioned in this thread, I know STM make great custom footbeds. The Morgans have been expert boot fitters for decades. I have had three pairs of custom foodbeds made for me at STM and they all have been great. I even took a pair to my podiatrist to check and he was super impressed with how well they were made. If you’re getting them made in Jindy, ESS sounds like the go. Pete is a champ too.

Hey hey. I bought a Neversummer Evo 160, and am completely stoked with it too. . Thanks for the suggestions all smile and i decided the Ion bootswere too stiff but i haven’t managed to land some Imperials yet…