The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

BOARDWORLD SHRED 2011 ~Jive talk~

Once because I had to move my car at 1am and every part of the road was covered in ice - I had absolutely no traction.

2nd time, 10cm sitting on top of ice from Jindy - would have gotten to Thredbo without but had them and fitted them at Wildbrumby Distillery for the steeper bits. I had already lost traction a few times and control once.

Experience is the key - I grew up driving off road and have played in mud a lot. Seen (not literally) so many people die on snowy roads over the years and stay cautious.
I know and drive to my cars ability - the worst type of car is a front engined/rear wheel drive (what I first needed chains for). Front wheel drive cars are very good, my old VW is pretty much designed for it and I currently drive an AWD with traction control.

Knowing the road insanely well helps.

Snow plows clear any snow/ice from 4:30am.

Chains cause damage and mean driving under 40km/h while they are fitted - I avoid them as much as I can.

Telling you not to use them would be like telling you to drive the Monaro Hwy at 140km/h - It’s dangerous, against the law and could end up killing someone. You shouldn’t be afraid of driving with snow on the road, use chains if directed. If the road is way dangerous it will be closed (like it was for Chapstick, Fatima, Eddie the other week).

Do an advanced driver training course (every single road user should) there are plenty in Canberra and tons of fun. They will put you on a skid pan and teach you how to stay in control and not panic.

Thanks Spaz!!! I have a front wheel drive car and have heard they are alot better in the conditions!!!

Got myself a pair of Konig T2 Magic’s awaitin in Wodonga for me!!!!! Mexican requirements!!!!!

I wonder if you’ll need them… Some report r**n some reports snow!!!

We will get snow when we’re down there next week, but don’t reckon that it’ll require puttin the chains on!!!!!

I wanna use them!!!!!  downer

Really?! Bugger that I would prefer clear roads thanks!!! I am sure the roads will be clear for the shred :-D

Billy - 01 August 2011 09:04 AM

Hey spaz!! Jen and I are aiming to get up there Thursday night instead of Friday - is that ok?!

You guys can jump in my bed…

Wow TJ that is worse than fb stalking!!!

blizzard_22 - 01 August 2011 11:56 AM

Wow TJ that is worse than fb stalking!!!

Hey, I never said I was going to be in there… I’ve slept on worse places than that floor.

Just saying that there is only 5 beds for the week nights.

You just got a dirty mind blizz

LOL… I got nothing!!! But you do have a track record TJ!!!

Hahaha raspberry

Haha!

Seriously though, if you guys can make it up early, there should still be that 5th bed and then I’ll leave my bed up for one of you girls and me and K2 can find somewhere miles away from anything Spanish to sleep!

tjswish - 02 August 2011 01:53 AM

Seriously though, if you guys can make it up early, there should still be that 5th bed and then I’ll leave my bed up for one of you girls and me and K2 can find somewhere miles away from anything Spanish to sleep!

Yeh, haha I’ll take floor space for sure. a few weekends ago I woke up on my mates kitchen floor on the tiles at 5am. They were sooooo damn cold haha

I’m not partin with my bed for anyone!!!!  angry