The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

WHO WEARS A BRAIN BUCKET????

Poll: Do ya wear a helmet when on a board???
Total Votes: 35
YES
NO
SOMETIMES
WHEN I SHRED I DO, BUT NOT WHEN I ROLL
WHEN I SHRED I DO, BUT NOT WHEN I SLASH
WHEN I ROLL I DO, BUT NOT WHEN I SHRED

I find wearing a beanie is warmer, too warm. So a helmet is ideal - it ventilates the heat and sweat and improves comfort in that regard.

i found my first helmet too hot

so i went and bought one with 14 air holes =)

I agree spaz, a beanie is heaps warmer than a helmet!!!!!

I tend to hold the heat too, and since wearin a helmet have found it much more comfortable!!!!

I’m looking forward to seeing how the new bucket holds up, it has open/closeable vents (all futuristic-like)
smile

Yeh the better half got a Giro G10 and the vents open and close. He is really happy with it and finds it very comfortable!

I voted ‘sometimes’. I used to wear a helmet somewhat often then I stopped for many years. A couple of close calls early this past season in Whistler made me realise I should be wearing a helmet. I wore my helmet pretty much every day in Whistler, mainly because of the big mountain and tree riding we do on a daily basis. I do feel a bit safer when wearing it.

That said, I left my helmet in Canada as I knew I wasn’t going to use it in Australia. I might start wearing a helmet here too, but I’ve never really felt the need here. The mountains here are small, without much serious exposure, and the trees are fairly mellow. I’m not saying I’m right - it’s just how I justify it for now.

I’m going to move this thread to Equipment and Products. Looks like we’re getting snow-related answers. Feel free to start another thread in a different section.

Used not to wear 1 first couple of times out last season. But then realized it’s pretty important and now I wear one everytime out.

When working on the hill I never wear one.. Pretty much no lifties wear them when they’re riding to and from the lifts now that I think about it. This is something that I should probably look to change and start wearing mine any time I’m up the hell.

On days off I won’t go up the hill without one. Had a few solid hits this season and even had a mild concussion or two even with the helmet on so it’s a no brainer for me to wear one. Honestly don’t even notice that I’m wearing it anymore. Another added bonus is that it saves you from losing your goggles/beanie etc when you have a big stack. I know that one of my stacks in whistler I would have had to hike a good 20+m back uphill to pick up goggles etc if the helmet wasn’t on - Jeremy can vouch for the size of this stack after dropping into flute bowl hahahaha

Any footage finney? Sounds like a ripper cool grin

Watch from 2:31 to 3:06. Unfortunately I didn’t catch most of his huge backflips but you get the idea. So K2, you coming to Whistler this season? This is what you’d be missing out on…  smirk

LOL looks good anyway.
Its still the plan. gotta approach work over the next couple of weeks and see how much time off they would be willing to give me. otherwise I may have to resign. which I really dont want to do. but I gotta get over to Whislter!

See that dude at 2:20!!!!!  LOL

Mizu Kuma - 25 July 2011 07:26 AM

See that dude at 2:20!!!!!  LOL

Yeh haha, that guy at it bigtime!

back to helmets.
I voted Sometimes. I used to always wear mine, like religously. Especially cos I was a park rat, and would just hike all day.  But last season I rode practically no park and Japan it was too cold to wear it. I was getting brain freeze on the days I wore it. I used to think the helmet was warmer, but it more just ventilates well. When its super cold, and windchill nothing beats a warm beanie.
This year I have only worn it on days I knew I was gonna be doing park runs, especially rails. Yes I do still cruise through sometimes when I am not wearing it, but definately ride at a lower level/intensity.

Im the same as rider, Im not saying that its better, because there is no arguing that it is much better for you to wear a helmet. But I have just found myself the last season wearing it less, especially cos I like wearing my balaclava and big comfy headphones, which neither will fit under the helmet. I want to get a second helmet, bigger than my current one so I can wear a beanie under it.

Caboose - 24 July 2011 11:40 PM

smashed my helmet on a box last year

it broke/cracked in 3 places right above my neck- was slightly concussed/groggy for most the night

i would either be disabled or dead

best $200 i have ever spent

Jeesus thus must have been a little frightening :/

Have been for years.  So many reasons to wear, hardly any not to.

A kid associated with a guy at my work died at Buller last year on the beginners run when he got tangled up and fell backwards onto a rock behind a pole.  That’s all the reason you need.

Plus, you can buy ‘em for $30-$40 on sale.  Wife got one at Aldi for $35, my son has a nice Bolle one from Costco for about $60 and my daughter has one from Torpedo7 for about $45.