The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Powder/Park Board?

I’ve been riding the Octorocker for the last three weeks and have been amazed at it’s capability.
I am 73kg, 178cm, size US10 boot. My other 2 boards are 158 K2 Zeppelin (All Mountain Freeride) and a 152 Salamon, sold my 162 Sims Forum last year <to old and had lost it’s….. everything.

I’ve only found one downside to the Octorocker;
(NOTE: Needed a tune, poor visibility, need to try altered stance for this)
It was on early morning high speed groomers, it just didn’t feel as solid as the K2 or Sims - both built to go fast - I was going

very

fast but didn’t want to do the speeds I’ve done on those other boards.

I’ve been lucky to try it in real Aussie Pow, rails, jumps, jibbin along trails and in heavily tree’d area’s out of the resort - all this boards forte.
I’ve never riden a board that performs so well in the park - I’m no park monkey but the Octorocker may have turned me.
In the limited pow (3”-6”) I could feel it float - even at low speed it wanted to keep on top of the fluffy stuff and made me feel 10kg lighter.
On jumps it’s great and rotates with ease, the flex allows it to be very forgiving on landings. Though on big ass hits I would prefer my K2 and just stomp the landing due to the speed I would end up with. The CS will handle large jumps to around 30’ IMO.
In the trees it is fantastic and shone most in fresh snow, I’ve killed a few snow snakes (hidden branches and rocks) and the base has come off unmarked except for one small chunk, but that is after three weeks of spaz abuse and nothing a drip of P-tex wont fix and I mean literally a drip.

It’s is difficult to believe this board does all it says it will. At first I thought it was being talked up so much because Chemical Storm is local but the Octorocker really is as good as it reads. Probably better - with fine tuning I think it might be capable of doing 80kmh.

But don’t worry if you buy something else because you will never know what you missed out on by passing up the Chemical Storm Octorocker.

Seriously Bliss, based on the info you’ve given this is the board you want.
The other boards your considering will likely be much the same but I have experienced the storm in a variety of conditions. I’ve demoed a few park boards and honestly think this board is better due it’s ability to cover the whole mountain.
(I probably wouldn’t take it to Alaska though)

bliss - 24 July 2011 01:47 PM

By the way, What size board do you recommend??
I’m about 175cms tall(5’9”), 75kgs(165lbs) and I am wearing a size 10US Boot

will need the other guys to chime in on this one - I only know my own sizes.
I am 189cm, 70kg, size 10us boot. I’m on the 159 since it’s my park/dork board. If I was to get it for allmountain I’d get the 161…but the waist is wider than I’d like it on the 61.
So anyways, two sizes should fit you - go for the longer if you want it all mountain, speed runs and pow, or go for shorter for park. The shorter size will still handle speed runs and pow. In that pow video I posted, it was fine, but I just had to be careful as I rode.

So, 55/57 or 59 for u?

the 57 graphics are pretty hawt

but remember it’s stiff. for a softer playful deck get the indoor fk

With the tfa, did you ever get the problem of the board like feeling swirly(spinning) when you are just chilling on a groomer and just having the board flat and standing up straight?

spaz - 24 July 2011 10:13 PM

I’ve been riding the Octorocker for the last three weeks and have been amazed at it’s capability.
I am 73kg, 178cm, size US10 boot. My other 2 boards are 158 K2 Zeppelin (All Mountain Freeride) and a 152 Salamon, sold my 162 Sims Forum last year <to old and had lost it’s….. everything.

I’ve only found one downside to the Octorocker;
(NOTE: Needed a tune, poor visibility, need to try altered stance for this)
It was on early morning high speed groomers, it just didn’t feel as solid as the K2 or Sims - both built to go fast - I was going

very

fast but didn’t want to do the speeds I’ve done on those other boards.

I’ve been lucky to try it in real Aussie Pow, rails, jumps, jibbin along trails and in heavily tree’d area’s out of the resort - all this boards forte.
I’ve never riden a board that performs so well in the park - I’m no park monkey but the Octorocker may have turned me.
In the limited pow (3”-6”) I could feel it float - even at low speed it wanted to keep on top of the fluffy stuff and made me feel 10kg lighter.
On jumps it’s great and rotates with ease, the flex allows it to be very forgiving on landings. Though on big ass hits I would prefer my K2 and just stomp the landing due to the speed I would end up with. The CS will handle large jumps to around 30’ IMO.
In the trees it is fantastic and shone most in fresh snow, I’ve killed a few snow snakes (hidden branches and rocks) and the base has come off unmarked except for one small chunk, but that is after three weeks of spaz abuse and nothing a drip of P-tex wont fix and I mean literally a drip.

It’s is difficult to believe this board does all it says it will. At first I thought it was being talked up so much because Chemical Storm is local but the Octorocker really is as good as it reads. Probably better - with fine tuning I think it might be capable of doing 80kmh.

But don’t worry if you buy something else because you will never know what you missed out on by passing up the Chemical Storm Octorocker.

Seriously Bliss, based on the info you’ve given this is the board you want.
The other boards your considering will likely be much the same but I have experienced the storm in a variety of conditions. I’ve demoed a few park boards and honestly think this board is better due it’s ability to cover the whole mountain.
(I probably wouldn’t take it to Alaska though)

Thanks heaps spaz for that review, I definitely would considering CS as I was told the company is based in brisbane and that’s pretty local for me.

have fun in Alaska! super jealous haha.

no. it’s cambered with rockered tips, so it feels and acts like a cambered board. You just have less of an effective edge than a full camber board. Turn initiation feels a bit loose since you have the smaller effective edge. Other than that you don’t really notice the tips when riding. You get more float in pow and nice butters.

It’s the rockered boards with rocker in between the bindings that make you spin out

My T-Rice has rocker between the bindings and camber at the tips!!!!!

The two days of riding that I did, never once did it feel like it was gonna spin out!!!!

I was on a pretty hard pack surface too!!!!!

I can see how a board with rocker only can do this though!!!!!

Nice review, spaz.

I fully agree with Gamblor’s explanation of how the two different hybrid camber profiles ride. Rocker/camber/rocker definitely provides more stability and rides closer to a cambered board. The only time you really feel the rocker is turn initiation, buttering, and in powder. Anything with rocker between the feet is going to be looser. Mizu, that’s not to say it’s going to spin out or anything, but it’s definitely looser. That’s the whole point of having rocker between the feet. I feel you would have to test both hybrid types quite extensively to really feel the difference.

ohhh ok, I just thought the boards that didn’t have the magna traction (TFA) had the problem of not biting the hard packed snow but that answers my question smile

Magne-Traction is a different story. The serrated edge bites the snow/ice harder when the edge is engaged with the snow.

I think rocker/camber/rocker is the way to go!

rider26 - 25 July 2011 01:14 AM

Nice review, spaz.

I fully agree with Gamblor’s explanation of how the two different hybrid camber profiles ride. Rocker/camber/rocker definitely provides more stability and rides closer to a cambered board. The only time you really feel the rocker is turn initiation, buttering, and in powder. Anything with rocker between the feet is going to be looser. Mizu, that’s not to say it’s going to spin out or anything, but it’s definitely looser. That’s the whole point of having rocker between the feet. I feel you would have to test both hybrid types quite extensively to really feel the difference.

I honestly haven’t noticed an extreme difference to that of my cambered DC HKD!!!!!

I do have my stance at the widest points on the T-Rice though, so maybe that has a slight adverse effect on the rocker, and engages the cambered tips more????

Yeah it could be for a number of reasons. There is camber under your feet, so if you’re pressuring your feet effectively during the turn you’re going to feel stability and edge hold. It’s in the transitions between the turn that you will feel the looseness. You should also be able to feel the difference when flat basing.

I’ll have to try the two boards on the same day maybe???

Have you tried a rocker/camber/rocker hybrid before?

Nup!!!!!