The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Recommend me a board

Mizu Kuma - 19 July 2011 04:31 AM
Gamblor - 19 July 2011 03:26 AM
Mizu Kuma - 18 July 2011 05:31 PM

While only just havin ridden the T-Rice for two days so far, I have found that it holds an edge as well as my cambered DC but found that it does however lack the pop that the DC has!!!! Compared to the custom both boards are stiffer, and the only thing that feels different between the DC and the Lib is that the Lib is a twin and therefore makes the nose feel a great deal shorter than the DC’s directional shape!!!!

Mizu, the C2 makes the Trice ride shorter, not the fact that it’s a twin.

oh oh

actually you didn’t say that. You said it’s a twin and THEREFORE it makes the nose FEEL a great deal shorter.

1) Just because it’s a twin doesn’t mean you HAVE to ride it centered. People who don’t ride switch a lot may use a little setback. In pow people setback their bindings all the time.

2) You said it makes the nose FEEL a great deal shorter. If it was just about the bindings being centered then the nose would actually be shorter rather than just being a ‘feeling’. An objective view rather than a subjective view.

//balls busted

Yeah whatever!!!!! How are ya edge detunes goin Terje????

sooo… to get back on topic for a sec raspberry

Given I’ll probably only ride a few more days this season and it’ll be in spring slush, maybe I’ll hang out for some bargains post-season.  When’s a good time to buy, and when do the 2013 boards hit our shores?

edit: oh yeah, I thought of another stupid question;  would I notice much diff going from my 2000 Custom to a current generation cambered board?  If so, what would it be?

Don’t mind us Mud, we’re like brothers me and Gumblor!!!!

See if rider can hunt down a Boardworld Deal for ya????

At least that way ya can find the new boards sweet spots in ready for next season!!!!

sure, if rider wants to do that I’m all ears.  I’m just off to kick some tyres at Auski on my lunch break.

drool

Generally all the really good deals happen at the end of the season. The only problem is you’re limited to whatever stock didn’t sell. All the best gear is likely to be gone. Of course there will still be good boards around, but you will have less choice. You know what I mean.

That said, we can always arrange a good deal through any of the stores that support Boardworld members. When you know what you want, let me know and I’ll see what I can do.

In regards to your question, these days the boards are more lightweight and they use better materials. Also the pre ‘Infinite Ride’ (and similar) boards used to break down and become noodles a lot quicker. I’m guessing your board is already a noodle, so a new board will be a lot more lively and energetic, have more pop and feel etc.

rider26 - 20 July 2011 03:54 AM

That said, we can always arrange a good deal through any of the stores that support Boardworld members. When you know what you want, let me know and I’ll see what I can do.

What stores are those in Melb?

In regards to your question, these days the boards are more lightweight and they use better materials. Also the pre ‘Infinite Ride’ (and similar) boards used to break down and become noodles a lot quicker. I’m guessing your board is already a noodle, so a new board will be a lot more lively and energetic, have more pop and feel etc.

Ok that’s interesting, I didn’t know about that new innovation.  I doubt my board is noodelized since I’ve probably had maybe 20-30 days on it since new, and I don’t hit it with lots of stuff outside carving.

In Melbourne: http://www.ballistyx.com.au/

That said, most stores will do free or cost-price shipping to you. Let me know what you want and I’ll see who has it. smile

Yeah your board shouldn’t be a noodle after 20-30 days. The ‘Infinite Ride’ I’m talking about, they actually build the boards stiffer than required, then actually use machines to break them in to soften them up. So technically they can’t break down any further.

Watch the part about Infinite Ride in this video from 2:38.

thanks, rider.  I’m still pretty confused about what’s best for me, really.  I do like the look of the Signal Omni (laminate issues notwithstanding), Never Summer SL, Yes Typo, various C2 BTX Libs and the Arbor Elements.  If I can’t make up my mind I might try to demo one in Sept if I can find one at Hotham.

Have regular camber designs changed much in the past 10 years?

I’m testing a YES Tasmaniac (with Camrock) on Friday and Saturday. I’ll let you know how it rides. Honestly, I don’t think you could go wrong with any of those boards you’ve mentioned. Have a think about it for a while and get whichever one you’re most stoked on.

I don’t think the camber profile standard camber boards have changed much, if at all. The big change with camber profiles was the introduction of rocker and flat sections in the profile.

Why don’t you go with what you know and get another custom, custom X if you can afford it:

http://au.burton.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Burton_AU-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=231423&start=7&cgid=mens-boards

I’d go the 156, no need to be wrestling around that ‘boat’ of a 160 you had before.

hmm can get last year’s Custom X for $399 on Torpedo7.  Bit tempting, even though it’s probably a bit stiff for me.

Don’t get something you’re not keen on because of the price. Have a serious think about how you want your board to ride. You have a good understanding of flex and camber profiles, so give it time, maybe demo a few boards, and get something you’re 100% stoked on.

rider26 - 21 July 2011 12:35 AM

Don’t get something you’re not keen on because of the price. Have a serious think about how you want your board to ride. You have a good understanding of flex and camber profiles, so give it time, maybe demo a few boards, and get something you’re 100% stoked on.

+1

^Agree 100%. I demoed 6-7 boards before buying my last board. Few of them I was just about ready to buy going by the reviews and what not but the feel of the board when riding wasn’t anything like I expected.