The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

what are your favourite brands

Just wondering what are every ones favourite brands, and are there any that you just wont buy for any reason? How hard do you find it to get most of your gear? Does your local shop stock it?

Unfortunately my most local shop doesnt sell much, they only keep the snowboards in, because the other shop of thiers, almost an hour down teh road actually does all the selling of snowboard equipment.
They are mostly a skateboard shop.
It is a family owned business and I like supporting them whenever I buy direct from a shop.

Brands?
Burton, I think is the ultimate core brand.
I think the bindings they make compare to no others, everything else seems much cheaper to me.
I like the boards they make, but that is a very competitive business, and there are many other board companies that make quality products.
I dont think that any boot company out performs the others. So, I’m not partial to Burton boots more than any other
I like Burton’s outerwear, I like the materials and fit.

I like many other brands, but they seem to be hit an miss.
I the more common boards I own are from Burton and Rome.
Binding, it is Burton only.
Boots it is Burton and 32.
Outerwear it is mostly Burton, and mostly the AK line.

I like 686, SB, 4sq and a few others, but do not own more than one piece of each.
I like Anon goggles, but also own Dragon and have owned others. Again there are many good goggle companies.
I mostly use Anon goggles, because they fit well with Red helmets, which I have owned Red and Giro helmets. and as a snowboards, I prefer to wear snowboard equipment.
So I stick with Red.

Gloves I own many brands, but again mostly Burton. Hey a glove is a glove and there are many good glove companies.

The only thing I use exclusively is bindings from Burton.
All other items are up for debate with me if they are better or not.

Other comapnies I liek include Arc’ Teryx.
I have never owned an item from them, they are crazy expensive, but they have very nice fabrics and I usually like the style.
Very high performance and quality.
I know some skiers that use their outerwear and have nothing but good things to say about it.

I’d hopefully never own Nike or Under Armor.
I just think that football and golf companies need to stick to football and golf.
Kind of the same for Adidas / Salomon.
I’d rather support snowboard companies. Rider owned companies.
I’d rather support a ski company like K2 or Rossignol - but everyone is owned by someone.

Hey guys, have been on an extended leave period from here simply due to working every day of the holidays and now being back at uni, but while sitting here waiting for iTues to download for my new iPod (yesss!), I figured I would break the lack of posts chain…

SO favourite brands eh…I think I will borrow from your tact snowslider and go with what I know…

As far as companies themselves go, I am a big fan of DC, for the simple reason that over 8 years of having their shoes I have only gone through 3 pairs, and buying a new pair has only been because the sole has worn through (which happens on any shoe), but the structure of all of the shoes has remained completely intact and still very wearable, except for the wet feet from the water coming in through the sole smile - so naturally because of my success with their shoes, the first boots I went with were DC Balance’s, which have been great to me despite my limited season time over the last few years, and I am fully expecting will last me through this NH winter where I will finally be having a full season of riding :D

I have to agree with you as well snowslider on Burton and their bindings - the missions I own have been exactly what I needed, at a price point that seems to be well under the equivalent bindings from other manufacturers…I have looked very interestedly at the bindings that Union have been putting out, and may have to try them at some demo days/grab a pair when the missions finally fail…

Board-wise, Rome and Nitro are the main two brands I have had the privilege of using, however I don’t feel I am at a good enough level to be able to make huge or definitive judgements about which board brand I prefer, so will just say out of those two I prefer Nitro…however Capita excite me with their variation on the rocker phase, as well as Burton, however again as you said snowslider there doesn’t eem to be as big a gap between the board companies as there does with the bindings…

Outerwear…my Burton System jacket has been amazing, and will definitely be buying a jacket with the same liner system when I need a replacement, so Burton for outerwear as well, however I do like some of the new season gear from Volcom and DC…will have to see whether the wallet goes for form over function this year…probably not, but I can always dream raspberry

So I think out of that we got DC, Burton, Nitro, Volcom, Capita, Union…

OH! and Oakley and Dragon for goggles…so there you go Kyneee…response made smile

oh and almost forgot dakine for gloves…goretex = amazing smile

i like less popular brands so you dont see people riding with the same kinda stuff brands like
-vans
-thirtytwo
-airblaster
-union
-endevour
they all round just seem heaps cooler and make joy looking stuff next time i buy more things it will be by these guys right now i just have
-dragon
-nitro
-drake
-northwave
-analog

by the way i have burton ronin skinnys haha there so sick
peace

Seriously about Burton bindings…
What you said Banga, When you compare the binding of the same price with another company, you get less value for sure.
And I agree that Union looks good as a binding company.
There doesnt need to be much to a binding, but really it is more than bolting a few plastic pieces together, and some companies look just like that.

As for less popular companies, I too like the less popular. that is why I choose ROME at first, of course feeling that they were the next big thing as well.
I enjoy learning about new companies and the products they offer.
But some companies have always been a mainstay.

Slider, i completely agree that there isnt much to a binding. However, it is the design of the few plastics pieces bolted together which end up making a lot of difference in one’s riding.

Any of the C3 companies. That includes Capita and Union. The only company I feel that doesn’t ripped off their customers. Their pricing is just perfect and value for money can’t be beaten.

What I own;
Boots - 32
Binding - Ride
Board - K2 Zepplyn, Sims, Salomon
Outer wear - 4square, Hiesta
Gloves - Level, Pow
Helmet - RED
Goggles—Dragon

Reason;
32 - fit me so well and last until I can afford a new pair (100 days riding) 3rd pair I’ve owned.
K2 - right price came along for top range all mountain, tough base to survive aussie grass/mud/rocks and occasional snow wink
Sims - (hand me down) light weight hasn’t popped the rail yet
Salomon - Bought for my GF who decided to ski instead so it’s my park board
Ride - first company (IMHO) that built bindings right and keep doing it.
4sq - bought online for 25% of aussie retail
Hiesta - Work uniform
Gloves - Pow; nice compromise between park and full glove that can operate a camera with. Level WOW!! never knew I could achieve warm hands that wouldn’t fill with sweat and stay dry even in rain (Gortex). I can even wear them in summer in +25C without getting sweaty!
Helmet - It fit.
Goggles - fit to helmet, right colour, spare lens.

Preferred/want;
boots - 32
board - Lib Tech and almost any top end from most companies, haven’t found the perfect board yet (Zepplyn is close) I’m sure it will take a quiver of at least 3 boards. Really liked the Flow boards I demoed this year.
Bindings - very happy with Ride but the other companies seem to have caught up. Would like Flow but they don’t suit 32 boots.
Outerwear - anything that keeps me dry and cool and warm that looks good.
Gloves - !!!!!!!!-LEVEL-!!!!!!!
Helmet - Berg; I’ve been checking them out in the shops, lots of thought has gone into them, built in beanie liner, peak, preference for goggle strap holder.
Goggles - Smith; cheap and look great.

Other;
Xsocks
Xskin
-sooo worth it.
sounds; iPhone with Griffen controller and of course SkullCandy Ti (thanks Boardworld) best sounds I’ve ever heard!

note-I reakon it takes a full season of use to prove gear in all conditions. Hiesta jacket is great but too warm for OZ. 4sq gold label is excellent. Level! Level! Level!

Aussie prices are way too high and with the crack down on buying online from the US, it’s all a farce!!

Aussie retailers NEED support from the US based companies. +100% markup??

I support the companies I feel comfortable with. Being in the retail side of things I see a lot of people buy because of brand and not what’s good.
Other than that.
32 boots cause the boot fits.
Nitro and lib tech for boards although i am keen to try a rome.
Bindings I want some union force, but on saying that the raidens I have had have done me well.
Outer wear was bon fire but 3CS are stepping up to the plate.
Goggles are a definite DRAGON vote for me.

Spaz, I’d like to hear about why you like Ride bindings so much, they dont seem too different to me and since I’m so convinced that Burton makes such a great product, I’d like to hear your thoughts on why you feel Ride is awesome.

there are other companies that I felt had a good product but then progressively got worse and worse after a couple years.

Burton boots and bindings

Libtech boards

Special Blend outerwear…looking at getting a couple of pieces Ive seen up cheap on ebay at the moment.

snowslider - 17 October 2009 07:04 AM

Spaz, I’d like to hear about why you like Ride bindings so much, they dont seem too different to me and since I’m so convinced that Burton makes such a great product, I’d like to hear your thoughts on why you feel Ride is awesome.

there are other companies that I felt had a good product but then progressively got worse and worse after a couple years.

Years ago when I was buying my first bindings almost all of them were made from plastic and some used many pieces held together by nuts and bolts, I worked as ski tech in a resort and delt with rental gear from many businesses that meant I saw a heap of brands failing. Ride used good quality aluminium with bolts holding only the straps and backplate - all one piece except the baseplate (also Al). They now have padding to support the boots and to assist in base control. They fit nicely the 32 boots.
I only replaced one strap over 1000’s of hours use, the only downfall was needing some rubber between the binding and board - I used a piece of inner tube. The bindings are still good.

I’m very happy with my new Rides (especially the price I got them for) I replaced the old ones only because technology over the last few years well surpassed my old ones.

The low end of the range don’t look the goods though.

Many new bindings look like they would hold up just as well these days, Burton look very good.

The last few years Burtons rep wasn’t good (I’ve heard the new one is) all businesses I’ve spoken to didn’t get the gear they ordered, wrong sizes, not the current range, missmatched pieces etc. The name has been tarnished a little in Australia, maybe not on a consumer level but some retailers wouldn’t carry the range except customers keep requesting it, even though the gear they ask for is rarely supplied as stock - we don’t get to see what Burton has on offer, outside of advertising or their website. And we can’t order it from overseas!

Spaz, thanks for replying - sorry I hadent go to your post until now.
Knowing a company for the years they have been in production can surely help develop a respect for a company.
I think Drake had a good product for a number of years, but I never liked the buckle to strap feel, too much of a plastic on plastic softness.
I’ve always liked the surety of the burton buckle… but I know that some fail.

I’ve not had much experience with Ride’s bindings.
Do they all have a metal heel cup?
Some dislike the plastic heelcup.
Bent Metal bindings, who is made by Mervin / Lib Tech, funny thing that the never advertise the bindings, but there are some riders that swear by them.

With the trend of snowboards getting more and more soft, the boots and bindings are too, so metal heel cups are becoming more rare.

I like holden outerwear, burton boards/bindings and salomon boots. Airblaster also makes some good casual and outerwear.