The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

TGIF - Good Morning

Hi everyone,
I guess its still Thursday for a heap of our Northern friends.

Whats everyone doing for the weekend?

We had a big wind here a few weeks ago so we have plenty of trees and limbs down to clear up.
Should get a good load of firewood out of it all.

It’s my gf’s bday so I have a couple of low key things planned for that.  Primarily I want to try and forget about the shitty week at work.  Actually make that the shitty year at work.  Something tells me that in order to maintain my sanity I’m going to have to try something different soon.

I have an all day conference tomorrow, then a friends birthday at night. Indoor soccer season has started, but this Sunday games aren’t on, so all the boys are having a kickaround on Sunday arvo. In between I just want to chill (had a crazy weekend last week, I was best man at a wedding)... smile

TGIF but this weekend isnt looking too bright for me. I’ve got a revision lecture for english. End of year exams are coming up and i need a ridiculously high score to get into the uni course i want so time is short :(

Since I came off about a 60 hour work week.
I worked on my new house, running electrical wire and playing in the breaker box trying to avoid electrocution.
Today I plan for the week ahead and get the 3 classes I will be teaching in the evenings planned.
I usually teach 2 classes a night, but last week and this week I am scheduled for 3 nights. Substituting for someone else.
Looking forward to another 60 hour work week or more.
Wife will be out of town with the baby mid week - that makes things harder, cause she’s awesome to have around.

Blah Im back to work now but had a great weekend with a Thanksgiving dinner with a mess of Austalian and Canadian friends.  Made a Turkey ate some pumpkin pie drank lots of wine and then felt like a baloon.  Good thing I work at a athletic clothing company and my pants have lots of stretch.

The bike ride into work today was a bit of a struggle.

Thanks giving?
Someone educate me about this day..
In the US we have Thanksgiving on I think the 3rd Thursday in November.
We eat Turkey and pumpkin pie etc.
It celebrates the crop harvest - and the friendship between the pilgrims and indians… at the time.

So, Aussie’s celebrate a Thanksgiving too?

OK so it’s not Aussie but Canadian…
I still dont know about it. Teach me.

The Canadian Thanksgiving falls on the second Monday in October and it’s to give thanks at the close of the harvest season. It’s a chance to be thankful for what we received the past year.

I am also a Canadian living in Australia and I too cooked a Thanksgiving dinner for the some family and friends. The Aussie’s loved it!!! They had no idea what pumpkin pie or stuffing was, that has to be my favorite part of the holiday!!

It seems to be about the same thing as in the US, the harvest.
It’s just that the harvest ends in CAN before in the US.

Something that is more traditional for thanksgiving in the southern US is sweet potato pie.
similar to pumpkin pie, but not.

snowslider - 15 October 2009 09:49 PM

Something that is more traditional for thanksgiving in the southern US is sweet potato pie.

Hmm sweet potato pie sounds like it could be quite tasty, I’ll have to try it sometime

Just Giver - 16 October 2009 11:08 AM
snowslider - 15 October 2009 09:49 PM

Hmm sweet potato pie sounds like it could be quite tasty, I’ll have to try it sometime

Ask the internet to find you a recipe smile