The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

camelbacks…. YAY or NAY?

Poll: Do you use a camelback when shredding??
Total Votes: 15
Yep. Only way to go
Meh. Had one .. used it a few times. Now it’s in the cupboard
Nope. Happy to stop shredding for hydration

Simple question,

Camelback (or similar backpack hydration). Was thinking of getting one for my next trip.

Do many of you guys use em? Do you rate em for riding?

Cheers,

Antisense ^_^

I choose to not ride with a camelback…..

Used to have one so I could board all day non stop
was useful for carry snacks…
but got kinda annoying too…

did save my back once when I landed back first onto a funbox….

These days I usually have enough pockets to load up on snacks, and I can slam down a drink pretty fast when I stop for toilet breaks, so no camelbak anymore (that and it became bacteria infested after I filled it up with umm…. Coke (and maybe a little bit of scotch….) and didn’t clean it out properly..

I have one, in a burton backpack. It makes the water tastes weird so I put pepsi in it. However YAY

I have a Dakine hydration pack. Also have a Burton AK backcountry pack with hydration bladder. I don’t use them often but if I’m hiking I take the AK pack with water. I used to like the Dakine pack (fairly small, enough for lunch, gloves, and water), but It’s a bit of a pain riding the resort with a pack. So yeah, it doesn’t get much (if any) use these days. It’s nice being able to drink water every run but it’s a bit inconvenient as well. Has its advantages and disadvantages. Sorry, I know that’s not much help.

I use one, I pretty much have too. Jeremy can second me on this one with the fact if I don’t I will cramp up or pass out from the amount I have sweated out. I will always use gatorade or something similar to keep me going.

I planning on getting one too for in my Dakine Heli Pro DLX backpack, since I board in resorts with it and there is a special place in my backpack for it I wouldn’t now why not :D

Cheers for the replies.

I’ll only really be sticking to groomers at the resort, but I sweat heaps and figure the extra hydration will keep me riding for longer without cramps and fatigue. 

I am a little concerned about carrying around a backpack all day… It might make me sweat more!! Do you think there’s any danger with getting it stuck on chairs and stuff?

Cheers,

Just make sure it doesn’t hang over the back of the chair (backpack) and you should be alright. If its just for hydration i’d look for a simple one, I’ve been using one for years- It’s not very big, and doesn’t have additional pockets or anything, just the basic Camelback with 2.07 Litre capacity.  Fits under my coat no worries, feels a bit weird when I sit on the chair and its full (like an odd placed pillow) but that goes away as you use it. I mostly use it on the chair anyways

I used to use one for trail bike ridin, but as for the in the snow resorts you have always got easy access to water/powerade/beer etc etc!!!!!

If I was gonna head out of bounds then yes, otherwise it’s just another thing to worry about!!!!!

i got one, used it a few times filled with vodka and juice/straight.

i put it in my pack for this weekend as i want to drink booze whilst i get my first turns in for the season

antisense - 15 July 2011 12:13 AM

Do you think there’s any danger with getting it stuck on chairs and stuff?
Cheers,

I’ve seen it happen before…  LOL

Wait for finney to see this thread. Being a lifty, I know he’s got lots of stories.

People with backpacks etc are the bane of every lifties existence…

Besides people falling over on the ramps when getting on/off lifts backpacks are the no 2 reason that lifts get stopped. Do the rest of the people on the lift a favour and leave your bags at home people.

In my opinion unless you need one for work purposes or are going well out of bounds etc and require extra gear (ipod speaker dock, beer etc raspberry) don’t bother with them. They get in your way, throw off your balance/centre of gravity and restrict your movement and leave you as a hanger when the straps get caught on the chair. I rode with a backpack 4 days a week in Whistler but that was because I took extra layers, socks, water etc to work. Whenever riding with the bag I was never anywhere near as comfortable compared to riding without and found it actually induced a bit of counter rotation in my stance.

Hope that helps :D

p.s. On a side note resorts here should look to how overseas resorts operate and provide free water across the resort along with sniffle stations. These 2 things alone make days on the hill significantly easier than they are here.

Thredbo has free water in every cafe on the hill!!!!!

Try getting a cup of water up at Merrits. Hopeless…  rolleyes

rider26 - 15 July 2011 04:18 AM

Try getting a cup of water up at Merrits. Hopeless…  rolleyes

Just ask at the Bar, just before the turnstile!!!!!  wink