The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Advice???

tjswish - 12 July 2011 11:30 PM
Mizu Kuma - 12 July 2011 06:44 AM

Like rider said!!!!

The Factory Wax is just a light wax to prevent the base from getting dirt and such into the pores, so it really only a light coating!!!!

A hot wax and de-tune is the first things on the list when ya get a new ride!!!! Followed by an attachment of ya favourite binders and a Boardworld sticker or two!!!!!

Totally! Though if you buy your new board on the mountain (silly idea) it is forgivable to ride a day or 2 on the factory wax and then hot wax it when you get home smile

I would still detune the edges before riding though but that might just be me…

Most shops will wax the board as part of the deal anyway!!!! And if they don’t, then just use a rub on till ya get the chance to wax properly!!!!

all good advice but your board will still ride fine without the wax. if you want to go faster, just turn less wink

i forget what board he got, but didn’t he get a skate banana? detuning a rocker board is even less needed don’t you think? (I still don’t bother detuning nose and tail).

I never wax my board. I needs that extra friction to stay upright!

AJ2theC - 13 July 2011 12:06 AM

Lol, don’t give that advice… you’ll rip through the base of your board and need new boards way more often.

Gamblor - 12 July 2011 11:56 PM

all good advice but your board will still ride fine without the wax. if you want to go faster, just turn less wink

i forget what board he got, but didn’t he get a skate banana? detuning a rocker board is even less needed don’t you think? (I still don’t bother detuning nose and tail).

A rockered board will still catch an edge!!!!

Unless ya ridin perfect Japow every day, like some people that have no need to de-tune!!!!

hmmm

ah fair enough, i stil dont feel the need to de tune, i dont catch edges that often to warrant it*, i just let the board go for a week or so of riding then will re assess whether an edgin is required.

*not that i dont ever catch edges but if i do, its not that often so doesnt bother me

Me too. I don’t detune my edges, too lazy to do that. Just let the riding dull the edges hahah. Maybe if I ride a cambered board, I’ll detune it a lil bit but since I’m not I don’t.

I personally have fun destroying the edges… and my friends think I’m weird doing it as they don’t understand the reasoning. smile

skip11 - 13 July 2011 01:02 AM

Me too. I don’t detune my edges, too lazy to do that. Just let the riding dull the edges hahah. Maybe if I ride a cambered board, I’ll detune it a lil bit but since I’m not I don’t.

Your T-Rice comes factory de-tuned skip!!!!

tjswish - 13 July 2011 12:16 AM
AJ2theC - 13 July 2011 12:06 AM

Lol, don’t give that advice… you’ll rip through the base of your board and need new boards way more often.

just wondering what type of surface you’re riding on? snow won’t rip through a board lol
a waxed board won’t save you from a rock either

tjswish - 13 July 2011 01:14 AM

I personally have fun destroying the edges… and my friends think I’m weird doing it as they don’t understand the reasoning. smile

Well at least ya friends are normal, TJ!!!!!

Apart from spaz, that is!!!!  tongue laugh

Gamblor - 12 July 2011 11:56 PM

Just to add, the op that had the Banana was after bindings!!!! Sukah was the one to ask about the treatment of a new stick!!!!

And I thought that if Terje de-tuned then you would also????

tongue wink

well, show me a video of Terje detuning his boards then. I’m at work so can’t watch that one you linked before. Who is that? JG?

That is Terje’s board in that vid!!!!

Its not a new board, but he still smooths off the tip and tail, before sharpening the effective edge!!!! Just the way Terje likes it!!!!

ah, so that’s why I haven’t riding like Terje! teacherboy

meh, I still prob won’t detune future boards (not saying you’re wrong - it’s just I never bothered in the past and don’t feel the need)