The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Advice???

Like rider said!!!!

The Factory Wax is just a light wax to prevent the base from getting dirt and such into the pores, so it really only a light coating!!!!

A hot wax and de-tune is the first things on the list when ya get a new ride!!!! Followed by an attachment of ya favourite binders and a Boardworld sticker or two!!!!!

why a detune?

i have never detuned a board…ever.

if i am going to do nothing but hit rails/boxes i may consider it but that is never the case. mountain first, jumps 2nd rails boxes 3rd

i never detune, even on a park board. If Terje told me to detune though, I would

I am refering to the tip and and tail!!!!

Some boards even come with a Factory De-tune!!!!!

I would never de-tune the effective edge of a board!!!!

It really depends on what you’re using the board for, how it comes out of the factory, and how you like your snowboard to feel. All personal preference.

Mizu has showed me the ropes in prep for your board so if his wrong so am I… but he’ll never be wrong his THE MAN!!

Oh by the way, whats whats your opinion on UNION for my board?

Union makes excellent bindings. They should go well with any snowboard, no problems.

ah k, yeah ill probably still stick to either flux or burton and use union as a last choice

Union contacts or contact pros to get the full rocker board feeling.

Gamblor - 12 July 2011 07:03 AM

i never detune, even on a park board. If Terje told me to detune though, I would

What about Terje’s board tuner????

bliss - 12 July 2011 08:51 AM

ah k, yeah ill probably still stick to either flux or burton and use union as a last choice

i would be doing the opposite i.e. union first then flux then if need be burton…but thats just me wink

Mizu Kuma - 12 July 2011 07:16 AM

Whats your reasoning for de-tuning the tip and tail? if you dont mind me asking…

deanobruce - 12 July 2011 10:46 PM
bliss - 12 July 2011 08:51 AM

i would be doing the opposite i.e. union first then flux then if need be burton…but thats just me wink

Mizu Kuma - 12 July 2011 07:16 AM

Whats your reasoning for de-tuning the tip and tail? if you dont mind me asking…

At the widest points of the board (the “contact” points) is where you will “catch an edge”, 99% of the time!!!!!

By smoothing them off (de-tune) it eliminates the catch points!!!!! These sections of the edges play very little part in the “carveability” of the board, and a reason why some boards come factory de-tuned straight from the shop floor!!!!

Some park rats will completely de-tune the effective edge, so as to eliminate the chance of catching an edge on a feature!!!! This also however destroys the ability of the board to carve, and therefore makes the board harder to control for the approach to the feature!!!! This is where an increase in the bevel (the angle of the base edge of the metal) is a better option!!!!

This is my take on the sitch!!!! Each to their own!!!!

Totally agree… Unions are like bomb-proof and super comfy!

It is so you don’t catch an edge. On a new board, you should detune everything from the widest point in the tip and tail to the edges and a lot of park rats will do the whole thing.

You would be suprised how much easier it is to ride and how much more fun you can have on your board.

And factory detunes are shit lol. They are still freaken sharp!

Mizu Kuma - 12 July 2011 06:44 AM

Like rider said!!!!

The Factory Wax is just a light wax to prevent the base from getting dirt and such into the pores, so it really only a light coating!!!!

A hot wax and de-tune is the first things on the list when ya get a new ride!!!! Followed by an attachment of ya favourite binders and a Boardworld sticker or two!!!!!

Totally! Though if you buy your new board on the mountain (silly idea) it is forgivable to ride a day or 2 on the factory wax and then hot wax it when you get home smile

I would still detune the edges before riding though but that might just be me…