The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Boots for a newbie

I live in the uk and i snowboard around 3 times a year but starting last year. Because if this i have been getting all my new gear together like boots trousers jacket and goggles but no board or binding just yet. The boot i am looking to get is the DC scout BOA 2011. This is because i like the quickness of the boa system plus i dont really like wearing boots other people have worn. I would just like some advice on the subject and i would really apperciate it.

A great fit should be your first concern, then worry about all the lacing system gizmo stuff. The only way to ensure a great fit is to try on heaps of boots; make sure you do them up, and spend a bit of time in them, walk around etc. Shops know how important a good fit is and won’t mind.

Boots are the most important piece of equipment to get right IMO.

OK thanks the only problem with that is because i do live in the uk there not many snowboard shops and my next trip isnt unitl november guess i will have to wait until then. thanks you anyway great help.

yep try boots on and dont buy online or by looks even if you had to wear bright pink boots with flowers on them but they were the perfect fit your feet will thank you and you will enjoy your day on mountain

robrob123 - 06 July 2011 12:22 PM

i dont really like wearing boots other people have.

haha mate your kidding yourself if you think no one else wears DC boots. most boots i see on the mountain these days are either burton or DC

no i dont like wearing rentals. the boots i am buying are DC

however i am having sizing problems when in a shop where the big toe is it is pushing on it hard on both feet. However do you think i should og with uk11 or stay with 10 and let them pack out ??

How many other boots have you tried on robrob????

DO NOT buy a boot purely for the brand, look or the fact that it has BOA!!!!!

A poorly fitted boot will always be uncomfortable no matter what sort of lacing system it has!!!!!

If your toe is cramped in the 10 and the 11 has too much room, then it sounds like this boot may not be the one for you????

robrob123 - 06 July 2011 12:22 PM

I live in the uk and i snowboard around 3 times a year but starting last year. Because if this i have been getting all my new gear together like boots trousers jacket and goggles but no board or binding just yet. The boot i am looking to get is the DC scout BOA 2011. This is because i like the quickness of the boa system plus i dont really like wearing boots other people have worn. I would just like some advice on the subject and i would really apperciate it.

He robrob123, welcome to Boardworld.  cool smile

As already mentioned, it’s really important you try on as many boots as you can. It’s a good idea to get a proper boot fit by someone who knows what they’re doing. Otherwise you’re going to end up with boots that don’t fit you properly.

If you end up getting boots with a BOA system, I would strongly recommend you only get a model with a double BOA system (two BOA dials; one for the lower zone and one for the upper zone). Single BOA systems tend to have fit issues and cause pain.

Also worth reading our boot fitting guide here. Let me know if you have any questions.

robrob123 - 07 July 2011 11:27 PM

however i am having sizing problems when in a shop where the big toe is it is pushing on it hard on both feet. However do you think i should og with uk11 or stay with 10 and let them pack out ??

How hard is it pushing? Is it causing pain? Is your big toe bending? How much and how often will you be riding? How does the boot fit over the rest of you foot (i.e. around the ankle, instep etc.)?

dont forget robrob the boots you are tryin on in stores are brand new and havent been packed out yet, you will get a little more room to move once the boot is packed out. this is what i found with mine anyway.
i have used them yet just been wearing them round the house to break them in and they are feeling great now.

wow alot of replies soo i will be doing about 3 weeks on snow in 3 1 week intervals. However their is a dry slope near me that i go to every week just because i love riding. on one foot i does not have pressure on my toe but on the other foot it does. let it pack out ??. i will break them in today and see how it goes. However i do have other brands such as K2 32 vans and burton. i know you lot dont know my feet but do you have any reccomendations or is it really pure on my foot and what it likes.

If one foot doesn’t have pressure at the front, I’d stick with that size and pack them out. If you size up you’ll likely have too much room.

It totally depends on your foot shape. Burton, ThirtyTwo, DC, etc. are all great brands, but each model differs in regards to fit. Ignore the brand, aim to get the best fit.

ok thank you to everyone who has posted you have all been a great help and i really appreciate being able to get some expert advice.

No worries robrob, let us know how it goes. smile

got the boots on now no heel life when i lift so does the boot. There is very little movement at the heel of my foot a little but not alot at all. The reason why i am also getting boots i had rentals after 2-3 hours riding a massive blister and had to stop. i was gutted.

on the left perfect snug fit on the right my big toe is hurting a bit however that is a bit sensitive anyway because when i push my finger on it it hurts and that is without the boot .