The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

2011 Sportscameras / Helmetcams / POV’s

ORIGINAL THREAD HERE.

So many names due to so many uses. We call them sportscameras due to their use in sports. The original name was simply “POV” (Point of View) as they see from the athletes’ eye view when rigged in the same viewing direction. Whatever you call them they’re fun and a great way to record your good times in the snow.

This is an open discussion thread on the entire range of these cameras as there are so many options now to suit a range of budgets and needs. At http://www.sportscamera.com.au we carry one of the biggest ranges of these cameras in Australia, so there are a lot of options we can help with. The bottom line is there are heaps to choose from - to the point it can become confusing for someone stepping in fresh.

Hit us up with your thoughts, ideas, questions, whatever and that makes way for some good discussions which we’re hoping will help you choose the best cam for your needs, wherever you get it from.

Cheers,
Doc

Welcome back Doc,

As most BWM know i’m very into this scene and I’ll contribute plenty to this discussion.
I have a few questions to start things off;

What makes a

great

POV cam?

Why has GoPro has become the highest selling cam in the world?

What is the cheapest?

If I had an unlimited budget what is the most expensive I could possibly get (without regard to the size of the recording unit I would have to carry)
eg: years ago Sony had a $6000 lens you could tether to a recording unit.

I have a feeling most discussion will be regarding GoPro and I don’t wish to undermine the product or the HeadCam industry but what’s the difference between GoPro and a waterproof/shockproof Point & Shoot camera like the Olympus 1080?

spaz - 20 June 2011 02:17 PM

I have a feeling most discussion will be regarding GoPro and I don’t wish to undermine the product or the HeadCam industry but what’s the difference between GoPro and a waterproof/shockproof Point & Shoot camera like the Olympus 1080?

A: spaz doesn’t wish to smash the Olympus 1080 every time he sees one???

I think the GoPro’s price point is cheaper than competitors on the market and they have just advertised themselves really well.

Cheers Spaz, good to be ‘back’ mate.

a few thoughts to get the ball rolling..

What makes a great POV cam?

So many factors.
Bottom line woud be how well it applies to what you want to use it for. Coming from my cross-over with reasonably heavy surf, some of my personal demands there will vary from, say, the moto riding side of things vs snow needs.
Let’s have a look at the variations and see what happens.
Heavy waves with a phat, pounding lip, the water pressure is insane. I have seen so many returns of the style of pns (point ‘n’ shoot) cam you mentioned due to total malfunction from leakage (within the stated depth ranges) by mates who took them out in surf conditions which weren’t very heavy at all.

Snow on the other hand (to cut a long story short) - adaptability to massive light shifts (boarding from shadowed, tree lined runs into snow-glare light is a pretty crucial factor. I’ll throw shape in for both of those - the ‘bullet’ shape is the ideal pick I reckon. in water for flow and in snow for airflow (everything makes some difference on an air trick), also when you stack it, good to have something that will drag minimally, also for aesthetics, most of the wearable cams look a tad better then a rectangular block if it’s shoved on your helmet or whatever.

Moto (and to some degree snow) an easily replaceable housing or lens cover is up there in the priorities. lens scratches suck , but can happen easily. Many of the wearable/POV style cams have some sort of facility for this. If they don’t, it’s a markdown IMO. Also they all crossover in the need for a decent level of waterproof/melted-snow-proof/dust-proof (which has similarities of equipment penetration to water) - the transition of application to mountainbiking is pretty easy to see.

Why has GoPro has become the highest selling cam in the world?

simply because the product has killed it combining durability with pretty good footage quality for the pricepoint. Years ago, when we were experimenting with (now) archaic POV’s , including making dodge attachments for fisheye lenses (taped and threaded on - still have the neck damage, haha), I said if someone came out with an easily attachable cam with fisheye, they would totally nail the market. and that’s what they did, backed by a strong marketing campaign to follow on with their reliabilty, so people didn’t feel scammed. Next level will be all that in a bullet shaped cam.

What is the cheapest?

some of the Chinese imports, but they haven’t nailed the internals, so fr the most part, they don’t come up to speed. one here which we can’t mention yet, which is getting close though for minimal dollars.

If I had an unlimited budget what is the most expensive I could possibly get (without regard to the size of the recording unit I would have to carry)

haha - well some people i work with (some of the Storm Surfers crew) just shot mental shippies (shipsterns Bluff tassie) with a $1/4 mill 3D set-up getting some amazing vision, or if that’s too over the top, a helcam like Brainfarm use would be cool [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpaSeGycTZ4&feature=player_embedded#at=61[/youtube]

but what’s the difference between GoPro and a waterproof/shockproof Point & Shoot camera like the Olympus 1080?

^^stuff above

Thanks for that insight Doc.

I learned a few things from your response.  excaim

LOL @ Mizu

$250,000 3D POV set up.

Photobucket

So I can do it for half that price if I don’t want 3D… grin

^ photo filed for the next time someone mentions a concern for my suggestion of having a cam with 1 cable.  big surprise

spaz - 03 July 2011 10:27 PM

$250,000 3D POV set up.

vampire is it a gopro?? hah