The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What/who motivates/inspires you?

I go through phases when I’m lacking motivation and/or in need of inspiration. I draw inspiration from family, friends, and people I look up to. There are so many things that motivate me but sometimes I lose focus and fail to see the bigger picture.

So…

What motivates you? Who motivates you? What inspires you? Who inspires you?

It can be related to work, adventure, family, health and fitness, or life in general. There is no right or wrong answer; I’m just curious as to how and where you draw your inspiration to keep you motivated to achieve your goals.

I’m going to have a serious think about my motivators and sources of inspiration - I’ll reply to this thread soon.

My ultimate inspiration on a creative level is THE RZA from wu tang clan. He is such a talented person in many genres with it be music, film, literature or philosophical. He is a truly smart an educated man. He has produced almost all of Wu-Tang Clan’s albums as well as many Wu-Tang solo and affiliate projects. He is widely considered one of the most influential and landmark hip-hop producers of all time. He subsequently gained attention for his work scoring and acting in films such as american gangstar, Repo men, and due date and is the man behind the score on quetin tarantinos KILL BILL movies.

WUTANG FOREVER.

Disclaimer* i aint no gangsta wannabe whiteboy, im a normal dude that listen to hip hop, real hip hop not just gangster music, i also listen to punk metal and hardcore. i have sung in hardcore bands as well as MC’d in my hip hop group. Music dominates my life and most of the time when im not at work im in my home studio producing something. music runs through my viens

old school wu tang is the shit!

the first ever time i experienced wu tang clan was about 10 years ago i think was down lake conjola, i have a caravan there, and one of the local kids took us to his house and his older brother was playing a cd. we had a coke and sat down and listened to it and it was the cd with the track at the end(i think?) where they are describing methods of torturing someone i think? like sewing someones arse together and keep feeding them etc. as morbid as it sounds the rest of the cd was wicked.

HAHAH MAD yeah ol skool wu rips
i got a a numbered edition of 36th Chambers on wax in mint condition never been played. so good

rambo is the best!  shaka

Haha have u been watching the Rambos on 7mate the last week?

K2_SnatchCrewSader - 30 June 2011 07:30 AM

Yes hahaha

Missed last sunday but, gotta watch this sundays

Life Itself

This is what inspires me!!!!! From my own life to others around me, nature and the planet that we live on!!!!!

Happiness

This is the key element for a great life!!!!! You can be the best/wealthiest in the world in your chosen field, yet still live a miserable existence!!!!!

I always have and always will be comforted by the knowledge, that while I will never be the best/wealthiest person in the world, I will neither be the worst/poorest by the same token!!!!!

shaka

fast eddie - 30 June 2011 07:34 AM
K2_SnatchCrewSader - 30 June 2011 07:30 AM

Yes hahaha

Missed last sunday but, gotta watch this sundays

Man that ones a ripper. First Blood Part 2. So epic! and it just kees going and going hahaa

deanobruce - 30 June 2011 05:27 AM

the first ever time i experienced wu tang clan was about 10 years ago i think was down lake conjola, i have a caravan there, and one of the local kids took us to his house and his older brother was playing a cd. we had a coke and sat down and listened to it and it was the cd with the track at the end(i think?) where they are describing methods of torturing someone i think? like sewing someones arse together and keep feeding them etc. as morbid as it sounds the rest of the cd was wicked.

Deano do you still have a van down there?
The oldies have a van at the end park at lake conjola, ive have so many good times down there….

Mizu Kuma - 30 June 2011 07:45 AM

Life Itself

This is what inspires me!!!!! From my own life to others around me, nature and the planet that we live on!!!!!

Happiness

This is the key element for a great life!!!!! You can be the best/wealthiest in the world in your chosen field, yet still live a miserable existence!!!!!

I always have and always will be comforted by the knowledge, that while I will never be the best/wealthiest person in the world, I will neither be the worst/poorest by the same token!!!!!

shaka

Couldn’t of said it any better Mizu shaka

Warren Chapstick - 30 June 2011 08:39 AM
Mizu Kuma - 30 June 2011 07:45 AM

Life Itself

Happiness

shaka

Couldn’t of said it any better Mizu shaka

totally agree yewwwwww

Interesting question Rider.

Motivation and inspiration are things I think about on a daily basis, from the smallest parts of my life through to bigger and more important aspects.  I think that the context of the thread is probably more geared at what inspires and motivates you to greater things although the first post is open to a more broad interpretation. 

Personally I think that everything you do is motivated by something, usually more than one thing no matter how small.  I also think that that motivation comes from both negative and positive sources, although when you really think about it, when you have achieved your goal, if you focus on the more positive motivating factors the more satisfying the goal becomes. 

If you think about it, even doing the dishes is motivated by various factors, if you weren’t motivated by either negative or positive factors you probably wouldn’t get out of bed in the morning. 

I was smoking a pack of Dunhill blues a day, as of today I haven’t had a smoke for a month, I didn’t cut down I just stopped.  My negative motivations for doing so were that I didn’t want to die early, my fitness was rooted, it was costing me a bomb and there is really no good reason for doing it.  My positive motivations are basically the opposite of above, I wanted to be able to run and paddle without feeling like death, I wanted to increase my lung capacity and my bank balance.  Those motivations were always there but the final straws were getting pounded while surfing one day and just about drowning and then that same night having that many ciggies while drinking they started to taste disgusting, the next day that was it.

About the same time I started to want to get my body back in shape.  It’s really only been about 9 months without being totally into it, sort of sporadic up until Feb this year, since then basically nothing and ballooned out to 120kgs from 100kgs.  A big motivation for me is looking at pics of myself when I’m fit, the other biggest one is imagining that ppl I know are probably thinking I have let myself go massively and I won’t be coming back from it, I want to prove them spectacularly wrong.  The added benefits of surfing and snowboarding better, less strain on my joints, increased energy and all the rest of it are a big boost as well.

With my surfing and snowboarding, I’m old enough to realise that the dream of being a pro at either is just that, a dream.  Now I concentrate on having a good time, trying to improve and if I can do a massive fin waft or frontside 3 in front of my mates I’m a happy man.

Right now I’m in the process of trying to decide if I should sell my car and get another one, there are conflicting motivations/desires and it’s taking a long time to work out which is stronger!

Warren Chapstick - 30 June 2011 08:36 AM
deanobruce - 30 June 2011 05:27 AM

Deano do you still have a van down there?
The oldies have a van at the end park at lake conjola, ive have so many good times down there….

yeh mate, its on the main road, on the water side, about 50-75 metres past the park/cricket field and tennis courts.

i spent every holiday/long weekend there from when i was born till about 14, then slowly went less and less. so many good times down there, first time i got drunk(fruity lexia…mmmm) ahhh memories haha

nthnbeachesguy - 30 June 2011 10:25 PM

Interesting question Rider.

Motivation and inspiration are things I think about on a daily basis, from the smallest parts of my life through to bigger and more important aspects.  I think that the context of the thread is probably more geared at what inspires and motivates you to greater things although the first post is open to a more broad interpretation. 

Personally I think that everything you do is motivated by something, usually more than one thing no matter how small.  I also think that that motivation comes from both negative and positive sources, although when you really think about it, when you have achieved your goal, if you focus on the more positive motivating factors the more satisfying the goal becomes. 

If you think about it, even doing the dishes is motivated by various factors, if you weren’t motivated by either negative or positive factors you probably wouldn’t get out of bed in the morning. 

I was smoking a pack of Dunhill blues a day, as of today I haven’t had a smoke for a month, I didn’t cut down I just stopped.  My negative motivations for doing so were that I didn’t want to die early, my fitness was rooted, it was costing me a bomb and there is really no good reason for doing it.  My positive motivations are basically the opposite of above, I wanted to be able to run and paddle without feeling like death, I wanted to increase my lung capacity and my bank balance.  Those motivations were always there but the final straws were getting pounded while surfing one day and just about drowning and then that same night having that many ciggies while drinking they started to taste disgusting, the next day that was it.

About the same time I started to want to get my body back in shape.  It’s really only been about 9 months without being totally into it, sort of sporadic up until Feb this year, since then basically nothing and ballooned out to 120kgs from 100kgs.  A big motivation for me is looking at pics of myself when I’m fit, the other biggest one is imagining that ppl I know are probably thinking I have let myself go massively and I won’t be coming back from it, I want to prove them spectacularly wrong.  The added benefits of surfing and snowboarding better, less strain on my joints, increased energy and all the rest of it are a big boost as well.

With my surfing and snowboarding, I’m old enough to realise that the dream of being a pro at either is just that, a dream.  Now I concentrate on having a good time, trying to improve and if I can do a massive fin waft or frontside 3 in front of my mates I’m a happy man.

Right now I’m in the process of trying to decide if I should sell my car and get another one, there are conflicting motivations/desires and it’s taking a long time to work out which is stronger!

I like this analysis in terms of positive and negative motivations.  Another angle is considering the decisions you take from an evolutionary point of view.  The main aim of a human being is to procreate and many of our decisions reflect this directly or indirectly although it’s often unpalatable to delve into it too deeply.

I have been saying that for years Aidy but I don’t think many people are happy to concede that we are ruled by such base instincts instead preferring to beleive that we act out of more noble motivations like love, compassion and empathy.  Primarily, we are selfish cretaures caring only for those with whom we share genes and those with which we would like to share genes.  Humans tend to spend a great deal of time and energy convincing themselves otherwise and suppressing those instincts and motivations as best they can, take religion for example.