The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Product Feedback - please leave your feedback here

Gamblor - 28 June 2011 02:26 AM

Good point Gamblor!!!!!

LOL

finney - 27 June 2011 11:39 AM

Rider weight: ~78g

Shit man you lost weight lol! No cash for canadian food eh? LOL

^ hahaha I put that down as an average for the season, got down to 75kg by the end so all up a 9kg loss. Ate plenty of food, just so much exercise I was constantly burning it off.

Product: Liquid Image Summit 720p Goggles (built-in HD Camera)
Location used: Perisher, NSW
Conditions: Bluebird, some wind

The first thing you notice about these goggles is the weight.  They’re not stupidly heavy or anything but coming from a set of fairly light-weight Oakleys, it’s a bit of a difference for me.  The camera, controls and battery are on the sides of the camera but they’re fairly well balanced so you don’t feel lopsided whilst wearing them.

The camera itself is very easy to use, having two control buttons (one for power and to change from video to still and the other to start/stop recording and to take a photo), port for the provided USB or TV output cable, microSD memory card slot (supports up to 32gb apparently, comes with 4gb which is good for a maybe 2-3 hours of recording) and a rechargable battery (charged via USB cable). The camera records at 720p with a fairly wide 136 degree angle lens.  All in all, a fairly decent setup.  My only gripe with using this over using a go-pro is that when the wind picks up a little bit, your video will sound like it was taken in a wind tunnel.

The goggles for me were a bit of a pain as I wear glasses normally and these will most definitely not fit over them. I did what any dedicated person would do - found my manhood and decided to get contacts (I’ve been firm in my hatred of contacts for my whole life) and yeah, this was a brilliant decision.  The goggles came with 2 lenses - polarised and an amber one and theyre pretty easy to swap if needed (which I didn’t need to do as conditions were fantastic).  The goggles felt comfortable, didnt fog, had good ventilation - All in all, a thumbs up.

Some credit needs to be given to the strength of the camera too - You would be kind of thinking that if you have a big stack that they might not be as water-resistant as advertised or may not make it out alive if you do anything to them but I had quite a large fall to the point where the goggles almost came off from the helmet and the battery flew out of its little slot.  After I dried the battery compartment and the battery itself, I was thinking the worst but they came through with no problems whatsoever.

All in all, theyre pretty sick if you’re looking at getting a Go-Pro or some other type of recording device, these are definitely a viable option!

REVIEW: CHEMICAL STORM SKULLTEETH OCTOROCKER

Rider: Jeremy Sheridan

Rider weight: 65kg

Boot size: 9 US

Board category: All-mountain / freestyle

Board size: 155cm

Stance: 22” and centred

Test location: Whistler, Canada

Snow conditions: Everything

GENERAL REVIEW:

Chemical Storm is a snowboard brand based in Brisbane, Australia. They have a unique approach to design and product development. You can find them on Facebook here.

The Chemical Storm Skullteeth Octorocker is an incredibly fun board to ride. I tested this board over a six week period in Whistler, Canada. During this time we were blessed with copious amounts of fresh snow. I was lucky enough to test the Skullteeth Octorocker in virtually all snow conditions and terrain.

First and foremost, the Skullteeth Octorocker is an amazing powder board; it floats like an absolute dream. The Skullteeth Octorocker refuses to sink, even in light, waist deep snow. The board is full of energy in the powder; it gives you a very energetic and ‘bouncy’ ride. Between turns the board just wants to bounce off the surface like a surfboard. As more snow fell and powder days became aplenty, I didn’t once think of riding another board (and I have fair few to chose from). Keep in mind, this is a twin shaped board and I was riding it with a centred stance.

The Skullteeth Octorocker excels in soft, choppy snow. Super agile and playful, the board contorts between the bumps to destroy everything in its path. The Skullteeth Octorocker features a noticeable rocker profile between the feet, and throughout the nose and tail, with a very slight amount of camber just under the feet. This rocker profile and forgiving flex pattern enables you to ride over anything; a perfect balance between playfulness and stability. I was able to ride in soft, choppy snow like never before. The Skullteeth Octorocker absolutely loves fresh snow - untracked or not.

Being a twin shaped board with a twin flex pattern, it’s not surprising how well it rides switch. The carbon tentacle through the length of the board gives it a nice amount of pop, especially for a rockered board. All of this combines for an extremely fun freestyle board, whether your preference is natural terrain or the terrain park. The Skullteeth Octorocker is great for buttering, pressing, and jibbing natural features.

The sintered base on the Skullteeth Octorocker is lightning fast. This board is just as fast as any board I have ever ridden; it accelerates and hits top speed very quickly. On the groomers, the Skullteeth Octorocker is fast and playful, yet surprisingly stable.  I would expect a rockered board with this flex pattern to be less stable, however I was blown away on a daily basis. The camber underfoot gives you just enough edge hold for carving tight turns.

The terrain park is yet another arena this board excels. The twin shape and twin flex, rockered camber profile, carbon tentacle, and soft to mid range flex pattern, makes the Skullteeth Octorocker an obvious choice for the terrain park. Nice and smooth, and stable on landings - there’s nothing in the park this board wants to shy away from.

Worth mentioning is the unique octagonal shaped nose and eye-catching graphics. I was approached countless times by strangers asking me about the board. The Chemical Storm Skullteeth Octorocker is not just unique and visually appealing - most importantly it’s a high performance, all-terrain, powder and park destroyer. If you love fresh snow and/or the terrain park, this board should be at the top of your shopping list. I can’t wait to get back on it next season in Whistler.

PERSONAL RATINGS (out of 10):

Best use: Powder, softpack, park

Flex (10 being the stiffest): 4

Carving: 6

Groomers: 7

Powder: 9

Jumps: 8

Jibbing: 8

Overall: 8.5 (as a powder / park snowboard)

PRODUCT REVIEW - Yes Typo 154

Rider: deanobruce

Rider weight: 85kg

Board category: All-mountain

Board size tested: 154cm

Test location: Mt Hotham/Falls Creek

Snow conditions:wet semi powder, soft-packed snow, groomed runs.

GENERAL REVIEW:

The yes typo is a true twin, cam rock infused weapon of a board. I didnt think a board could get much funner than my revious one (gnu carbon series) but i was hellllll wrong. This bad boy was playful as f*#k, i was popping around all day. popping ones at full speed, buttering around like it was no bodies business!

the rockered tip and tail was extremely forgiving, i caught one edge all day and that was due to me not paying attention at all whilst travelling about 2km/h.

it handled the shin deep damp pow in the tree runs we were hitting with ease. i was suprised how good it handled/floated to be honest. i wasnt expecting to handle like it did.

I did some full speed runs at hotham on steep runs and it held an edge like a champ, only a few times i slid out and that was due to hitting a bump mid turn at mach 5 so its hardly the boards fault. Am yet to take this bad boy off any decent jumps or rails/boxes as i was having wayyyy to much fun in the awesome snow and natural terrain to bother with the park but will hopefully change that this weekend(i doubt it if we get the forecasted amount of snow)

In summary i would highly recommend this board to any and everyone looking for a fun, playful all mountain destroyer of a board.

I will update this after i hit the park up.

PERSONAL RATINGS SO FAR (out of 10):

Best use: All-mountain

Flex (10 being the stiffest): 7

Carving: 8

Groomers: 9

Powder: 7.75

Jumps: TBA

Jibbing: TBA

Overall: 9 (as an all-mountain snowboard)

Best Board i have set foot on…period.

Review thread here.

REVIEW: YES TASMAN(IAC)

Board category: All-mountain / Freestyle

Board size: 152cm

Stance: Centred

Test location: Thredbo, Australia

Snow conditions: Groomed, softpack, park

GENERAL REVIEW:

The YES Tasman(iac) is a 2012 model limited edition snowboard only available in Australia and New Zealand (120 units made). It’s based on the profile of the 2012 The Great Beauties. The graphics were designed locally by Kindred Design.

The Tasman(iac) features the YES CamRock profile; camber between the feet, and rocker in the nose and tail. This particular hybrid camber profile maintains stability and pop, while still providing a forgiving and playful ride. One of thee stand-out features is the asymmetrical sidecut, which utilises a deeper sidecut on the heelside edge and a shallower sidecut on the toeside edge. The asymmetrical sidecut evens out the biomechanic differences between a heelside and toeside turn.

The Tasman(iac) is a really fun board to ride in Australian conditions, or anywhere requiring a versatile ride. It’s super fast due to the sintered 9000 base and stable enough to bomb any run. The board has a true twin shape and flex. In fact, there is no defined nose or tail, so the board rides exactly the same in either direction. Rocker in the nose and tail gives the board a loose and playful feel, while carbon stringers provide energy and pop. It butters very nicely and the board is soft enough for easy pressing. The board rides beautifully in the park; it felt perfect on jumps, and nice and smooth on rails.

Unfortunately I didn’t get the opportunity to test the board in powder, but I’d expect it to ride quite well in deep snow. Boards with rocker in the nose and tail tend to float quite well in powder. Overall, I had a lot of fun riding the Tasman(iac), whether bombing groomers or lapping the park. Two days was not enough time to really appreciate the features on offer with the Tasman(iac). I would love the opportunity to ride this board again.

Best use: All-mountain, park

Flex (10 being the stiffest): 5.5

Carving: 6.5 (hard to test due to soft conditions)

Powder: not tested

Jumps: 8

Jibbing: 8

Overall: 7.5 (as an all-mountain / park snowboard)

HI all
I found this this produce on the internet and it really got my attention. It called the Swivler http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvoXwD5jETE I purchase one and I use it all the time. I found it very comfordable to use and easy to fit.

After doing a little soul searching to decide between buying beer or comfy snowboarding socks, a certain admin took pity on my feet and made the decision for me cheese OP here ... https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/2822/P45/

So without further ado….

3CS Quasar Sock Review

I have to say when people told me how important good socks were for snowboarding I thought “Yeah right! Why would I spend 50 bucks on socks!!” But after trying these bad boys out, I’m definitely a convert!

So a little about the socks….. Well I could go on about the technical features, like…...
-  High elastic composition containing polyester, acrylic, nylon and spandex (who doesn’t love a bit of spandex, am I right?!?)
-  Strategically placed multi-density padding
-  Articulated flex zone to reduce wrinkles and pressure sores
-  High-impact heel and toe padding

But really the proof is in the wearing.

Forget the word sock… These things are more like gloves in that they fit your foot and calf so damn well! This especially awesome for me cause I was breaking in some new boots and these socks were not only super comfy but really thin, so after wearing my old explorer socks for two days which were probably three times thicker, switching to these socks felt amazing.

Because they are so elastic, they act like compression wear and help to keep your muscles supported . Suprisingly the thinner material doesn’t equate to less warmth though and they still kept my feet toasty. Also the thinner material seemed to be less abrasive that the thick explorer socks.

The only negative thing I noticed was that they retained sweat a little more than the explorers, but I think that’s just because they are so much thinner and whilst they wicked away the sweat, it just didn’t have far to go and seems to just hang around, and as a consequence my feet did stay a little .. well.. moist compared to the old explorer socks. This was only the only negative but was really only a minor thing as they didn’t feel wet or cold as a result of the moisture..

So all in all, whilst it may seem like alot of money to spend on a pair of socks, like anything else associated with snowboarding, spending a little extra money is well and truly worth it for the improved comfort and muscle support these socks provide.

Big ups to Rider and BW for the socks!!  smile

BURTON JOYSTICK 2012

Board category: Freestyle / Park

Board size: 150cm

Stance: 22.5” and centred

Test location: Thredbo, NSW

Snow conditions: Groomers, spring slush, park

WHAT I LIKED ABOUT IT:

- Full rocker profile (V-Rocker) was very fun on the mountain and in the park.
- The graphics are awesome!
- It rode beautifully in the park.
- Flex was on the soft side, making it forgiving and playful.
- Great for riding switch.
- Stiff enough to bomb runs.
- Stoked with the Channel. I was able to ride my preferred stance of 22.5 inches.
- A board like this is a real confidence builder while still providing excellent performance.

YES Tasman(iac)

Rider name: Tristan Brown

Rider weight: 82kg

Board category: Freestyle / Park

Board size: 152cm

Bindings: Union Contacts

Stance: +21 / -21 with a centered stance

Test location: Thredbo, NSW

Snow conditions: Groomers, spring slush, park

WHAT I LIKED ABOUT IT:

- CamRock was super poppy and still playful enough to allow me to butter and crabwalk
- The graphics simple yet they still stand out on the mountain. I personally don’t like plain black boring graphics
- It rode beautifully in the park, never caught an edge.
- Flex was on the soft side, making it forgiving and playful.
- Twin stance is great for riding switch.
- Still worked fine on groomers but would sink in powder with my weight compared to the board length
- A short soft board with rocker would help beginners but this board is still good enough to help intermediate and advanced riders progress and still rock out in the park.
- Will look into purchasing if/when I need a new board.

Best use: Park, Groomers

Flex (10 being the stiffest): 4

Carving: 6

Powder: (Didn’t get to test)

Jumps: 7

Jibbing / Rails: 9

Overall: 8 (as a park snowboard)

Ride Machete(2011 edition)

Rider name: Me, myself and I

Rider weight: +/-64Kg

Board category: All mountain/Freestyle

Board size: 158cm

Bindings: Burton Missions

Stance: don’t know exactly but I think +25/-25

Test location: Filtzmoos, Landgraaf, Schladming-Rorhmoos-Plana, i anywhere I go…

Snow conditions: Ice, perfect snow, fakisch indoor snow, park and some pow

WHAT I LIKED ABOUT IT:

-The board itself is basically very stiff which is good for handling
-But thanks to Ride technology(:D) you can do pops and jumps very easy
-Also thanks to the Slimewall the landings don’t come really hard
-The board also rides very well and smooth whether it is on pow, park or regular snow
-It feels really light

Best use: All mountain and pak

Flex (10 being the stiffest): 6(because it’s stiff but when you want to pop it works as well, don’t know why :D)

Carving: 6.5

Groomers: 9

Powder: I did test but not much and I’m not experienced in it so I’m gonna leave this blank

Jumps: 6.5

Jibbing / Rails: 7

Overall: 8

I hope this can help someone I’m not that experienced with testing board but this is my board so I tough I would contribute :D
(if pics are to big I shall replace them ^^)