The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Snowboarding; POV mounting locations?

Hey guys,

I’m after your thoughts / some ideas on where to mount my cam (GoPro).

For motorsports I like to have part of the car, or the driver in the frame as a reference. Footage from a bumper mounted cam is weak IMO. I usually mount my cam on the rear parcel shelf. I’m hoping for the same effect for snowboarding - well sort of??

Im thinking; mounted on my back foot binding highback, facing forwards (parallel with axis of board). Would the lack of suspension in that loc give sh/tty footage?? Asking first before I drill any holes smile

I don’t wear a helmet so that rules that out.

Thanks.

Better wait for Spaz to see this. I think he’s mounted a pov cam everywhere it’s physically possible ha ha.

even without a helmet, the headstrap works quite well

edit: I just used the head strap on my helmet and occasionally mounted on a pole. I didn’t like the pole much though since I focused more on the pole than on snowboarding. With the helmet mount I could turn it on and forget about it. (for the run).
Behind the back binding might be good for park, but maybe not if you’re spinning or grabbing. When it’s on your head it’s good if you’re doing a method, but lame if you’re grabbing tail.

Im pretty sure spaz has his board cam attached to his binding. If you watch his daily xcam vids you will see its rather stable. I think if it was on the board, the closer you get to the tips, the more chatter you might get.

What way are you planning on attaching to the board/binding? are you just going to use the adhesive mounts, or do you have the suction cap?

Headstrap: aint gonna happen smile

Mounting method: going to drill a hole in the highback in a non load bearing location and use a tripod mount thingo. The bindings are over engineered anyways.

spaz, where’s your pole mounting thread? There was so much good info in there but I can’t find it.

Yeh, that thread had heaps of info but wasnt sure where it was

the headstrap has the best look imo, plus if you wear your beanie over top, it just rests on the top of your goggles - a far cry from the gaper look of the top of the helmet mount.
but whatever.
it has to be said though that there were so many people with gopros on their heads last year that it’s become quite the common sight

rider26 - 27 June 2011 05:13 AM

spaz, where’s your pole mounting thread? There was so much good info in there but I can’t find it.

I started one and spaz joined another one into it!!!!! Deleter26!!!!!  hmmm

ohh oooooohhhhhhhh that explains it
Hopefully spaz still has all the photos.

Mizu Kuma - 27 June 2011 05:58 AM
rider26 - 27 June 2011 05:13 AM

I started one and spaz joined another one into it!!!!! Deleter26!!!!!  hmmm

Noooooooooo!  shut eye

Hey guys, maybe time to start another one?  smirk

mind if I ask why the headstrap is out of the question for you? it really is without a doubt one of the best ways to mount these camera’s - I used the headstrap over my sandbox helmet in whistler and it was great, wouldn’t do it any other way in the future - sat just out the front of the helmet and wasn’t taken out by any trees etc. It’s a little awkward at first with the extra weight there but after a few runs you barely notice it.

One big advantage of having it mounted to your head is that you actually see where you’re looking as compared to a fixed point on the board which is going to give limited visibility. Having it mounted on your head will also absorb a lot of the choppiness that you’d get from having it solid mounted to your equipment. I will say though that footage is considerably better when chasing somebody as it gives a bit more perspective as to the speed at which you’re traveling.

Failing this I’d say pole mount is the 2nd best option if you’re going to be riding solo as you can have the camera facing back at you or shooting from behind. Just make sure that you’re stance is solid and you’re not heavily counter rotated as you’ll end up looking sideways more than anything else.

Hello,

I’ll see how much energy I can put into this before falling asleep tonight.
“Deleter26” destroyed the thread - I’ll be lucky to remember half the info I put in there. Yes I stil have the photo’s - on my photobucket account. I’ll start with them…

...after I question Gamblor’s integrity by him making a suggestion that GoPro has a good look tongue wink It’s a square plastic box and looks terrible.
(I struggle to understand how a point and shoot camera is considered a POV or HeadCam)
^I’m not trying to rile you Gamblor your taste and eye for beauty is supreme as can be seen by your photographic ability. Total respect.

GoPro is a good cam for the price once you look past it’s misgivings. The biggest of which (after it’s looks) are the mounting options.

AJ2theC I forgive you since you use GoPro in your car (It’s this scene that made GoPro popular and what I believe was the design intention).

All my photo’s feature VIO.
It’s what I use - I could use GoPro, Contour, Drift etc because I get them at dealer pricing but I don’t even stock them for a reason.

This photo was an example of how this goggle strap mount can be used for many applications. I actually mount my cam on the top strap.
Photobucket

With GoPro I would mount it in front of the binding. With the limitations of the GoPro mount there would be problems getting it to frame properly.
(OK enough with the GoPro bashing)

I would suggest adapting the GoPro mount.
Off the back of the binding I didn’t like the framing.
On the binding it can be to low.
The biggest thing to consider is vibration - when mounted on a binding my mount uses 2 rubber stoppers to absorb vibration. The weight of any cam could make this worse.

GoPro would be one of the best options to mount on your knee with a strap. I haven’t mounted a cam here but would like to.

Using a broken pole attached to the binding allows for a higher mounting position, best of all you can rotate the pole while riding to change the angles when filming others. If the attachment is done well you can make it to release for use as a short PoleCam.

Photobucket