The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Softshell or hardhsell jacket. What do you rock in Oz?

Just wondering whether anyone here has experience with softshell jackets like this one?

Do they tend to get pretty wet after a full day on the slopes or in heavy snowfall? Would like to avoid wearing a big heavy jacket if possible, as I overheat really easily.

Cheers, O_o

Really depends on the waterproofing but generally they aren’t very waterproof at all (there are some good ones out there). OK for Spring or hiking but I wouldn’t use it as my primary jacket for winter.

What you need is a shell; something with good waterproofing and breathability.

Sweet jacket, but I would only take that out to play on a spring day anti!!!!!

A proper Breathable Jacke,t worn with a moisture wickin first layer will keep things warm/dry and therefore cool as, for the mid winter chill!!!!!  shaka

The problem with Aus is that it is not as cold but the wind chill and humidity get ya.

So you freeze your ass off and everything gets twice as wet :(

sweet thanx for the replies smile

A jacket can provide excellent Breathability and Waterproof properties yet still lack the ability to provide warmth!!!!!

A puffy type jacket that is filled with down/synthetic fiber can provide warmth, while one with a very thin layer of insulation material stays quite cool!!!!!!

The breathability and water proofing ability of the jacket lies within the materials that are used in the shell of the jacket!!!!! These can be quite thin yet provide great properties to keep you dry at the same time!!!!!

Whilst keeping you dry is the greatest way to combat the cold, it will not be the sole factor in doin it!!!!!!

Good Waterproof/Breathability properties in a lightweight hard shell jacket can always be layered underneath to provide extra warmth when required!!!!!

I have never owned nor needed a soft shell jacket at all!!!!!!

whoah thats alot a exclamation points!!!

How many lagers have you had tonight mizu?

antisense - 17 June 2011 01:11 PM

whoah thats alot a exclamation points!!!

How many lagers have you had tonight mizu?

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!! The usual amount!!!!!  billy

I have two jackets. My primary jacket is a session premise and my secondary jacket is a soft shell Neff Sarge. This was the most waterproof softshell I could find 10,000mm. Worth a look imo

ahaha nice! I love the fake medals and name tag. That jacket looks cool :D

I have not tested it yet, but will use it on the warmer NZ days and Aus spring sessions

Barely ever wear a jacket in Aus, unless its really windy, raining or snowing. I’d recommend a softshell for Aus, then again I’m barely ever cold.. Would get one myself if I didn’t have this Special Blend water resistant shirt thing I bought a while ago, just wear it over a hoddie (pretty much like a softshell). Barely get wet, unless I bail hard and roll down the hill lol.. Always have my proper jacket in the car though in case the weather changes.

Maybe its psychological but I never like wearing a softshell on days that aren’t sunny. For me, a hardshell is always the main jacket to be used in the majority of conditions. If you feel hot then get a hardshell shell only jacket, that will give you lots of versatility especially if you warm up easy.

I’ve copped some cold days on Crackers chair like -40 wind chill (official weather reading)

I only wear my compression top with T and lightweight jacket unless its a day like I just mentioned - then I add a hoodie. My jacket must have vents to releas my heat at the bottom of the valley after a run. Sweat will freeze you fast. Wicking tech is the bomb.

spaz - 23 June 2011 01:55 PM

Wicking tech is the bomb.

Words of wisdom. I find it doesn’t really matter if I’m in a soft or hard shell, as long as my baselayers are sorted.