The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Help needed for a newb

Hi guys and girls,
need some advice from people that know more than i do, as i come from a skate background haha and know nothing about cold climate sports LOL, going down to the snow for my first time this season (perisher) and im not really one to rent gear i prefer to have my own stuff, now i can get snowboards from a friend for 150 i know they are a cheap board i think the brands he has are “option, namu, inch, and a few others. now as this is my first season my plan is to buy the cheaper board and spending more money else where like the bindings and more importantly the boots, is this what i should be doing or should i be spending more on the board??? also what size board should i look at im 5.10” in height and weigh roughly 95kgs. your help is much appreicated guys.
FULLY PUMPED TO GET DOWN THERE AND GIVE IT A CRACK.

Hey Sukah, welcome to Boardworld!  shaka

You’re definitely right in keeping most of your funds for the boots. Regardless of how much you spend on each item it’s super important to make your boots the number one priority. Make sure you get a proper boot fit at your local snowboard store. Also worth reading this article I wrote on boot fitting.

What size shoes do you usually wear? Just a ball park is OK so we can tell if you need to be on a wide board or not. Binding size will depend on your boot size too. Do you know what size the board is and which model? If you can give us a bit more info about the gear you’re thinking of getting off your mate, we’ll be able to determine whether it’s suitable for you.

Hey Sukah!!!!! Welcome to Boardworld!!!!!

I’m not the expert around here but love to put my 20cents into play!!!!!

I would be lookin at a board around the 158-162 mark as a rough guide!!!!! The 158 if ya got ya mind set on bein in the park (Havin a skate background), to the 162 for bombin hills eventually!!!!! 160 might be the all round choice!!!!!

Get somethin that is soft and flexible for ya first board!!!!! That goes with the boots and bindings also!!!!!

Ya very correct in spendin ya $$$ on the boots as #1 priority!!!!! Take the time to try as many on as possible, and from reputable dealers that know their stuff!!!!!

Then pick a mid range binding as most high range $$$$ bindings will be too stiff for what ya after!!!!! Again talk it through with the shop crew while ya gettin ya boots!!!!

Lastly get ya chosen length board in a soft flex that will be more forgiving whilst ya learn, and go for somethin that ya like the look of!!!!! Easy as!!!!!

Have fun shoppin and let us know what ya setup is once it’s all together!!!!!  shaka

Luckily rider beat me to it as I forgot to mention boot size/board width compatibility!!!!!

I’m havin a stab in the dark, but standin at 5’10” ya boot size shouldn’t be encroaching on the wide board sizes???? Could be wrong though!!!!!

cheers for the speedy reply guys.
Ill be hopefully going to check out the boards my brothers mate has for sale from havin a look at his facebook page he has quite a range of sizes and widths,
My shoe size is usually a us 11 or 12 depending on the shoe, that article i read about boot fitting was dope and definately gave us some info too look out for cheers for the linkage.
Ill let you guys know how i go. PEACE

Depending on which boots you go for you will probably need a mid-wide board. You will definitely need size large bindings.

Let us know what boards and sizes are available and we can help you make a decision. I think something around the 160-162 mark will serve you well.

Off topic, did you get tickets for Wu-Tang?

hahah phat.
AND YES DEFINATELY GOT TICKETS TO WU TANG, GUNNA BE A PHAT AUGUST COZ WU IS ON THE FIRST WEEKEND OF AUGUST IN SYDNEY THEN THE FOLLOWING WEEK AFTER THE GIG WE GOING DOWN SNOW!!!!

Shit sorry for the caps got carried away haha

Sukah - 15 June 2011 05:46 AM

hahah phat.
AND YES DEFINATELY GOT TICKETS TO WU TANG, GUNNA BE A PHAT AUGUST COZ WU IS ON THE FIRST WEEKEND OF AUGUST IN SYDNEY THEN THE FOLLOWING WEEK AFTER THE GIG WE GOING DOWN SNOW!!!!

Shit sorry for the caps got carried away haha

That’s all good about the Caps Sukah!!!!! Just don’t get carried away with the exclamation marks around here!!!!!

Someone’s already got that gig sewn up!!!!!  hmmm

I agree with boots being priority, but disagree on the board size. For first timers all a longer board is going to do is make everything harder. More effort to change edge, more effort to swing the thing around. IMO, length only comes into play for stability at speed, and for landing big jumps. You wont be going fast or big enough in your first couple of years to warrant the extra cms, so why make life harder? I recommend a 154.

Not trying to stir the pot, just offering an alternate point of view smile

Boots: Take advantage of the last year season sales. There’s been no new tech advances in sb boots in the last few years.

just putting my 2cents in i also come from a skate background

im 167cm and around 90kgs i have 2 boards a 151 and a 152… fortunanlty i picked up snowboarding pretty quickly and am very comfortable on a short board.

if your going to hire gear then buy boots, quality gloves and proper socks. You can hire performance boards these days for a decent price to steer away from buying a rubbish quality board.

AJ2theC - 15 June 2011 07:40 AM

I agree with boots being priority, but disagree on the board size. For first timers all a longer board is going to do is make everything harder. More effort to change edge, more effort to swing the thing around. IMO, length only comes into play for stability at speed, and for landing big jumps. You wont be going fast or big enough in your first couple of years to warrant the extra cms, so why make life harder? I recommend a 154.

Not trying to stir the pot, just offering an alternate point of view smile

Boots: Take advantage of the last year season sales. There’s been no new tech advances in sb boots in the last few years.

Beginners find shorter boards easier because it allows them to cheat with their technique. It’s not doing them any good and they will pay for it down the track. Riding a board suitable for their size/weight will encourage them to initiate their turns properly and learn with correct technique.

im thinkin 158-160 should be good i definately dont want nuffin smaller than 158, i want to be able to pop it heaps though is this were the flex of the board comes into play??

Yeah flex is a big one, but board length, stance, and technique all come into play. I’d try to steer you towards 160+ rather than the 158.

I agree with the 158-162 view, personally I would go for the 158 but its personal preference.

I am about 10kg lighter than you and really enjoy 155-156 boards but I go short for the easier turns and easier for tricks in the park.

If you go with something cheap and nasty, it will often hold you back (i.e. Aldi board lol)

Hey guys, just wondering your thoughts on a Burton blunt board it’s 159 wide, a mate has only used it for two seasons it’s in good nick apparently just needs a wax his askin $100.

I think its supposed to be a good park board- hard to go wrong for 100 bones if its in good nick in my opinion