The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

what type of snow riding did you do first? what made you change?

Poll: skiing or snowboarding, what did you do first?
Total Votes: 25
Skiing
Snowboarding
Dave99 - 30 June 2009 04:04 AM
Fishmunga - 30 June 2009 01:38 AM

I was skiing one week every year until 07 when we came up to Hotham for the season had a shot at snowboarding and haven’t looked back since

sometimes you should look back…and to the left..and the right…Just a little safety tip

LOL  Now there is some brilliant advice for free LOL

I was a skier first, my whole family is and I did it for about 5 years when I saw some boarders and decided it looked so much better, haven’t gone back since and am now also a surfer, I may be an outcast by the entire family and the lodge I stay in but it is so worth it. Best decision I ever made

I skiied for 2 years and got jealous of snowboarding freestyles and steezy butters. Started snowboarding 4 years ago and have been an avid boarder every year until this year. I have never skiied ever since. smile

I also skiied first, in about 98, with school and for two days. Boarding wasnt an option otherwise I probably would have done it. In 2001 I went with my parents to Austria, going boarding was an easy decision. I Absolutely loved it. Unfortunately I didnt get to go again until 06, once Id finsished uni and had a job. Early 2000s I got into skating though. Since 06 Ive gone once every year. This year I realised my desire to go the snow was only growing so I decided to finally get my own gear, great idea, the quality over hire gear is huge. So have made a couple trips so far this season and will be going again this wknd - last for the season :(

Started skiing cause I went on a school trip to Thredbo. Gave snowboarding a go my third time on snow. Having played Gridiron, our breakdown stance is exactly the stance that you have when strapped into the board and as a beginner going down a hill toe side. My partner having played Gridiron for 17 years picked up boarding so easily, his balance first time out was unreal!

Never really had much experience of the snow when I was a kid, wasn’t something my family was into, probably as a result of it being a pretty damn expensive recreation and not having much money, our one and only car for a family of five was a VW beetle until I was about 10.  My Mum took my sisters and I to Canberra when I was about 9 and we took a day trip down through Jindy and found a hill that had snow on it and had a muck around.

Didn’t go back to the snow till end of year 6 school trip, not much to talk about, had one day in the snow on tobaggans.  The next time was yr 11 school camp and it was never in question, i was going to snowboard.  Had 3 days and had an awesome time.  The next year I managed to get kicked out of school, took a shit kicker job for 4 weeks saved enough money and went with a mate to the snow for a week which was awesome.  The next year I went back again with a mate for another week.  This year we were old enough to drink and we made the most of that.  Staying in Jindy and going to the LJH every night.  I think about it now and I have no idea how you can board all day and go out and get smashed till 3am every night for a week.  No way could I manage that now.

After that trip I dunno what really happened but life has a weird habit of getting in the way of things.  I was surfing a lot, didn’t have a heap of money as I was on apprentice wages so I guess the snow seemed like a pipedream.  As I started earning more cash I was spending it on surfboards and surf trips, went to Hawaii for a month, then did two Indo boat trips.  A quick stocktake a couple of years ago and I had 12 boards, 4 boardbags of various sizes, 15 sets of fins, 8 legropes, 4 wetsuits and a heap of boardies.  I guess you could say that I have that sport covered. 

When I was offered a position in Melbourne starting last year I remember thinking that the snow was probably going to be fairly close.  Was still surfing quite a bit until July but it was becoming unpleasant, just way to cold and despite having decent wetsuits, just restrictive and not much fun.  Got a kinda big tax return in early August and pretty much on the spur of the moment decided that we were going to the snow.  Picked my gf up from work thursday arvo without telling her what was happening and went to a snowboard shop and bought everything we needed, wasn’t a cheap exercise but it’s only money right?  Went up for the weekend to Buller the next night and have been going ever since pretty regularly.