The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Locking up your gear?

Who puts a lock on there snowboard when taking some downtime off the snow?

When I rode cheap gear I never worried about it but then I started getting high end gear.

The first time I had to leave my K2 Zeppelin with top end Ride bindings was outside Friday Flat ticket office, I was literally 2-5min, but used my lock anyway. When I returned the board was hanging by the lock to the rack and the cable had copped fair abuse (still has a kink in the cable) where it was tugged at. This has occurred 2 times since (my board showing signs of being handled) and I’m sure that lock has saved me a lot of heartache.

I do know people that have had trashed boards stolen. If you value your gear - use a lock.

The less crap I have to carry the better, so no way I’m going to lug around a lock and cable.  That said, yes, well aware of how many boards go missing each year. My solution is to not let it out of my sight; my board always go where I do, or up against the window at a minimum.

I’m the same!!!! Always leave ya board where ya can see it, or where the people that ya ridin with can see it!!!!

Sometimes puttin a lock on can signify that ya gonna be out of sight!!!!! A good indication for the theif to go to work!!!!

Stickerin up ya board and notin the serial # is also a good idea!!!!

Makes ya board stand out and also makes the decision to thump the dude carryin ya board all so easy!!!!

AJ2theC - 12 June 2011 12:05 AM

The less crap I have to carry the better, so no way I’m going to lug around a lock and cable.  That said, yes, well aware of how many boards go missing each year. My solution is to not let it out of my sight; my board always go where I do, or up against the window at a minimum.

i always have one of these in a cargo pocket and never notice it

When I am other mountains we lock, most of the time there are a few of us, so we run the cable through all the boards, if anyone can do the bolt with four or five boards they can have them !!!!

At Hotham, all the locals know my board and I would probably get a call before I knew it was gone. cheese

I am going to be using the burton lock, although just by feeling it, it does not seem like it could withstand much

Gamblor - 12 June 2011 12:28 AM
AJ2theC - 12 June 2011 12:05 AM

i always have one of these in a cargo pocket and never notice it

So ya combination is 666!!!!! Number of the Beast!!!!!  ohh Who the Hell is gonna steal your board Gamblor???? Jesus!!!!!

redjames - 12 June 2011 01:18 AM

I am going to be using the burton lock, although just by feeling it, it does not seem like it could withstand much

well, if the deadbeats have wirecutters then there’s nothing you can do. You can just hope that they will grab the board without the lock since it will be easier.

Gamblor - 12 June 2011 01:34 AM
redjames - 12 June 2011 01:18 AM

well, if the deadbeats have wirecutters then there’s nothing you can do. You can just hope that they will grab the board without the lock since it will be easier.

You’re absulutely right - it’s just a deterrent. Board theives are basically lazy, unintelligent opportunists - that’s why they’re board theives.

My Burton cable lock actually seized up on me at Coronet Peak about five years ago. To their credit, Mountain Services would help out with their boltcutters until I jumped through a lot of hoops for them.

I have the same sort of lock as Gamblor. Snowboarding is expensive and I would be deco if my board was knocked off. I lock it everytime.

blizzard_22 - 12 June 2011 06:30 AM

Snowboarding is expensive and I would be deco if my board was knocked off.

What???? You would start repaintin the house or somethin????

Damn you autocorrect!!!

LOL

The Burton lock is the same design I use and the same that deterred thieves in my story. It lives in one of the 6 pockets in my pants. It’s tougher than it looks.

I will admit I don’t use it at on-hill bars/eateries unless I will be a long time or it’s a ‘known’ thieving location.

Noting the serial number means you can lodge a good police report and in some cases claim insurance.

Mizu Kuma - 12 June 2011 06:32 AM
blizzard_22 - 12 June 2011 06:30 AM

Snowboarding is expensive and I would be deco if my board was knocked off.

What???? You would start repaintin the house or somethin????

LOL

i have an ocean and earth lock exact same design as the burton one.

i have used it a few times when i can remember to bring it.