The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Xcam & SNOcam ~websites~

I was thinkin for use/giveaways for customers/promo!!!!!

3” 2 colour on die cut vinyl would be pretty cost effective and a great way to get ya business some cheap advertising!!!!!

I’d rock one on the Vito/Beer Fridge/Board/Hard Hat for sure!!!!!

spaz - 29 May 2011 11:45 AM

It will be very hard to make a black X stand out on a black car.

All good. The red one looks great on a black background - and it only seems to have the Nazi feel to it when on a white background, so it’s fine to use when on black.

Mizu Kuma - 29 May 2011 11:58 AM

Unless it has a white pinstripe/background/border around it????

Not a good idea as it essentially changes the logo.

chucky - 29 May 2011 04:51 AM
Mizu Kuma - 29 May 2011 03:50 AM

Is RED the only colour way that works with it?

Red’s good because it signifies speed, power etc. - and it contrasts well with black both on screen and in print. Funny you should mention it though, because I’ve been considering blue.

I went back and had a play around with shades of blue. I’d go with 100% cyan - nice and vibrant, and a good cheap choice when printing costs are a concern.

chucky - 29 May 2011 04:51 AM
Mizu Kuma - 29 May 2011 03:50 AM

Have ya tried the C, A and M a little closer together so it looks like it is forming a grouped word?

Yeah, I tried different variations a while ago. Too close, and you start to lose definition at smaller sizes. Things have progressed a bit since then, so it may be worth another look.

Interesting. I went back and checked out some older files, and the lettering was about 30% closer together. In all my tweaking it looks like I’ve gradually been spreading them out. There’s definitely room to tighten them up again. Good find.

Just to give you the general idea. . .

chucky - 28 May 2011 11:24 PM
darb - 28 May 2011 03:57 PM

I like this too but feel like it could be defined a little more so it look like the letters a little more.  Keep the “X” the same but the “CAM” part is a little hard to read unless you know what your looking for.

Nah. People often make the mistake of thinking logos need to be really obvious - but a unique and strong visual identity is much more important. A certain amount of ambiguity’s a good thing when it comes to logos - enabling each individual to interpret them in their own way. But as far as the ‘CAM’ goes, it’s perfectly obvious what each letter is - so there’s no need to be totally in your face. Times have changed, and consumers are a lot more sophisticated than they used to be.

I understand you are creating a unique identity.  But what I was referring to is with advertising you generally have approx 5-30 seconds to get someone to see, read, interpret / understand and then of course remember it all an hour, 5 hours a day… etc later to actually look up what you are advertising.  This day and age people do remember and identify a company with a logo but that is only good if people know the company associated with the logo.

That being said, I do think you design is good, it catches the eye (Neon green would be stronger then a light blue) it is something I would definitely recognize walking down the street but that is because something about it.

I am just trying to provide food for thought and help you find a way to grab on to the huge market out there.

Good luck with it I look forward to watching it grow through out the years… just like your real baby it will grow!

Thanks Brad,

I don’t think the ‘cam’ is an essential part of the logo but it does need to integrate with it.
Words - people mostly learn the shape of a word and don’t read the letters, ‘cam’ isn’t exactly one of those types of words and it is more likely to interpreted for what a

cam

is; in rockclimbing it is a device that wedges into a crevice to hold a rope or in engineering it is a finely tuned lifter that opens and closes valves. Both kind of similar in that that alter there shape during use to press against something and nothing to do with photo/video. It really is just slang when used as a shortening of ‘camera’

I do like that Chucky’s font uses elements of the X logo - it is not recognisable as the word so much but neither are the fonts I’ve been drawn to. For recognition it would probably be best to use a commo font for words so people don’t have to think to read it so their brain can spend more time absorbing the ‘X (arrows)’ logo.

I’m more partial to the Red with Black border and hole in the center (to represent a camera lens). For me that says it all in one shape without being complex. Whereas I’m not sure about the ‘+’ having enough association to the business.

spaz - 29 May 2011 08:54 PM

I’m more partial to the Red with Black border and hole in the center (to represent a camera lens). For me that says it all in one shape without being complex. Whereas I’m not sure about the ‘+’ having enough association to the business.

The more I looked at the previous logo with the hole in the center, the more I realised the circular shape fought against the rest of the elements. When you look through many camera lenses, a common element is crosshairs in the centre, so it was a suitable replacement. In the logo, what the crosshairs do is subliminally break the object into 4 arrows, while still maintaining the integrity of the ‘X’. As these cameras are something you attach (or “add”) to your board, skis or body, the ‘+’ has relevance.

chucky - 29 May 2011 01:05 PM

All good. The red one looks great on a black background - and it only seems to have the Nazi feel to it when on a white background, so it’s fine to use when on black.

That one looks sick!

I like this one too!!!!!

Have ya tried it with a Kelly Green/Flouro Green????

These days, the colour green is almost universally visually associated with “eco” ventures.

Hey seb, you busy tomorrow morning?

There’s an Adobe CS5.5 launch/demo on in Circular Quay.

chucky - 30 May 2011 01:27 AM

These days, the colour green is almost universally visually associated with “eco” ventures.

Blue-green is cool though. One of my other recent logos:

What about that Chrome Silver look????

Cool Logo by the way!!!!!!