The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Rome Lo-Fi Rocker or Nitro Runaway Gullwing?

Ok. Got a wee bit of moolah from the swedish rellos for my bday and decided I’d like a new board.
I’ve narrowed it down to the above mentioned two boards, that are available in my price range.
Both are 149, both are true twin.
The nitro is Gullwing - reverse camber between the bindings & cambered on the ends
Rome is reverse camber.

I just want a playful, fun, skatey feel board - mostly for the park. I wanna be able to press pretty easily and get decent pop on small-medium sized jumps, with some stability in the landings.

Does anyone have any positive/negative feedback about either of these companies in general? Cos both are looking like they are going to do pretty similar things for me & I can’t really decide. The nitro is about $30 cheaper. Graphics are an equal for me.

Someone give me something to swing me one way or the other!

cords - 24 May 2011 11:25 AM

I wanna be able to press pretty easily and get decent pop on small-medium sized jumps, with some stability in the landings.

true reverse camber will be easy to press but you lose on pop compared to cambered boards. It’s also super easy to wash out if you don’t land ‘on the bolts’

so you reckon the Nitro Gullwing? More stability in the landings with some camber?

also, the Rome won the Transworld GoodWood this year but don’t really know how credible that test is or if that really means anything…

Do you have any other boards in your quiver? Have you ridden a rockered board before?

If you’re going to be riding this board a lot, the Gullwing camber will give you more versatility around the mountain. If you’re looking for a board that will be really loose, fun, easy to press etc. then the full rocker is going to be the better option. Rome and Nitro are both excellent brands. You’re going to enjoy either board but you need to ask yourself which characteristics are more important to you.

cords - 24 May 2011 11:38 AM

so you reckon the Nitro Gullwing? More stability in the landings with some camber?

also, the Rome won the Transworld GoodWood this year but don’t really know how credible that test is or if that really means anything…

The Good Wood awards are pretty credible!!!!

They test all of the boards with the same coloured top sheet and base, so the test team do not know what brand/model that they are ridin!!!!!

What you look at, is what specific catagory it got the award for!!!!

I have two other boards in my quiver. A 153 Rossignol Zena which was my beginner board - all mountain…but after just a few weeks of my season in Sweden, I realised I wanted a park board cos that is where I wanted to spend most of my time.

So I got a true twin Omatic Sweet 150. Regular camber. Had heaps of fun on it and learnt a lot but its just a little too stiff to be playful enough. I find it pretty difficult to press (maybe thats just cos I’m crap) but I’ve tried a lot and not gotten too far.

So that is where I’m at now. I’ve had one run down High Noon on the other half’s Arbor draft, which is reverse camber…but I didn’t get that much of a feel for it as his bindings are quite different and it all just felt weird.

I’m not really sure which characteristics are gonna be more important to me. I definitely want it to have a playful, skatey feel, but I don’t want it to wash out on jump landings or not be able to handle some bombing runs down the groomers. I guess that sounds like I’m leaning towards the Nitro gullwing?

Mizu Kuma - 24 May 2011 10:07 PM
cords - 24 May 2011 11:38 AM

The Good Wood awards are pretty credible!!!!

They test all of the boards with the same coloured top sheet and base, so the test team do not know what brand/model that they are ridin!!!!!

What you look at, is what specific catagory it got the award for!!!!

don’t kid yourself Mizu.

yeah I’ve read a little about the award lately and it seems one of the main criticisms is that due to the amount of boards being tested, riders only get 2-3 and sometimes only 1 lap on each board & that is all they have to base their decision on. Doesn’t seem like much to me!

I think I’m gonna go with the Nitro.

if ya can’t see yaself carting two or more boards around with ya, then the Gullwing would be the best choice for sure!!!!!

As for the Good Wood Awards, I would still like to think that they are a good guide, as it would have to be the industries most thorough comparitive test, that all brands seem to back????

I might be wrong!!!! Are there any other people out there that are offering something as comprehensive????

the way I look at it, if the board I want has a good wood award then cool, it’s a bonus. Just like if I see a rider I like riding that board. but I don’t base my purchase decision on it.

Back to the boards wink  The Rome is a well designed board, thing that is different with the 2011 and the 2012 is the fact that they changed the rocker. It is now flat between the feet with rocker nose and tail. A few companies are heading in this direction for rocker boards. Main reason being the board becomes more stable for landings and more solid going onto an edge. So the Rome is a great park board and works good in powder because of the full rocker.
Gullwing camber is a good style of camber. It is playful in terms of being a bit loose when you wanna play around. Because it is cambered towards the nose and tail it does provide a bit of resistance for pressing but provide POP for ollie and nollies. One thing with these boards is give them a bit of a detune as they get a bit catchy on the hard pack.
My final say is, if you want a real good park/jib specific board go the Rome, you can always use the Omatic sweet for booters as its cambered for pop and more stable o the landings. Full rocker is more beneficial to park and pressing and that’s why they were made.
Gullwing makes a board more stable at higher speed and poppy.
End question is do you want to spend the time in park and have the fun you want?

cords - 24 May 2011 10:54 PM

I think I’m gonna go with the Nitro.

If you’re going to be riding this board a lot, I think it would be your best choice. It will be loose and fun to ride but still give you stability and versatility for freeriding. Personally I’d lean towards the Gullwing Camber.

Ok. Thanks everyone for the help. I think I’ve decided on the Nitro. I’m never gonna carry two boards around with me, so I think the Nitro is gonna be the playful all-rounder that I want. The omatic will be relegated to back up, the odd sentimental ride and lending to friends who are just trying snowboarding out. Cheers!

Cheers BWers grin

I was in that same frame of mind, when I chose my new T-Rice!!!!!

While i liked the thought of havin a full range of boards for every occasion, I came to the realization that I would only ever use the one, and it may as well be an allrounder!!!!! (Unlike its owner though!!!!)

Make sure ya put up pics and a review once ya get to ride it!!!!!