The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

STOMP PADS!!!!! WHO USES EM?????

Poll: Do ya use a stomp pad????
Total Votes: 40
YES
NO
SOME OF MY BOARDS HAVE THEM AND SOME DON’T

Okay, so got the new board and was wonderin about weather or not to get a stomp pad for it!!!!!

Who uses them, and who doesn’t???? Why, or Why Not????

If ya do use one then what is it and what made ya buy that particular one????

I use em, I think it really helps with your foot not slipping around when skating. Rider26 knows how bad I am skating haha so I find it essential. If you do lots of 1 footed trick then it’s definitely a help.

skip11 - 21 May 2011 05:48 AM

Rider26 knows how bad I am skating haha

Seems to be a story behind this????  cool hmm Elaboration required!!!!!

Haha no story, I was just telling Jeremy that I’m pretty bad and doing 1 footed glide. Can’t go for long before goin out of control. Haven’t tried T-bar this season, but last season I failed about 3 times riding a t-bar haha. I have a feeling I should be fine by now, but still has a bit of doubt lol.

Easiest way to ride a T-Bar is to RELAX!!!!!!

Sounds easy but the biggest mistake that brings people undone, is they stiffen up if they feel like they are goin where they don’t wanna go!!!!!

The T-Bar will take ya up the hill and nowhere else, so relax, keep ya knees bent and keep ya body weight centered and let the T-Bar do the rest!!!!!

Might be some tips from others to follow!!!!!

And if ya come across a rope tow, don’t do this!!!!!

I’ve got big boots and I like a wide board. Can make do snugging the back foot against the binding, but I feel way more in control having that bit o no slip to rely on, especially when I’m getting tired or my balance is a bit off when I’m skatin

So ya sayin that it’s kinda like havin that extra blanket at the end of the bed????

It’s just there for when ya toes get cold!!!!! And it saves ya gettin up to get it outta the linen closet!!!!!

Yea, plus it keeps ya from stubbing yer toe during the journey wink

Mizu Kuma - 21 May 2011 07:53 AM

And if ya come across a rope tow, don’t do this!!!!!

I laugh every time I see that video.  LOL

I use stomp pads on most my boards (yeah that vote was me raspberry ). For me the biggest advantage is getting snow and ice off my boot. It annoys me when my boot is cased with powder or I have a lot of ice on the sole and kicking the board just won’t do the trick. Having a good stomp pad on my board allows me to kick the stomp pad just once or twice and completely clear my boot of snow/ice for strapping in. The quicker I can get my boot into my binding, the quicker I can get to that powder line. The stomp pad I usually put on my boards is the one with metal spikes and a rubber blade in the middle - works great for clearing the boot and super grippy too for everything else.

Mizu Kuma - 21 May 2011 07:03 AM

Easiest way to ride a T-Bar is to RELAX!!!!!!

Sounds easy but the biggest mistake that brings people undone, is they stiffen up if they feel like they are goin where they don’t wanna go!!!!!

The T-Bar will take ya up the hill and nowhere else, so relax, keep ya knees bent and keep ya body weight centered and let the T-Bar do the rest!!!!!

Might be some tips from others to follow!!!!!

I use a stomp pad cause it makes 1 foot tricks a bit easier and also for the reason rider said.
I like round spikes, they work really well.
Don’t get the bakoda little round spikes, they all fell off my board, they suck.
The best stomp pad I’ve ever had is the Ocean and Earth nipples. They are big enough to grip really well, they never fall off and they aren’t a big ugly black thing stuck to the middle of your board, they just blend in to the graphics

Extra T-bar tips!!! (I used to be a lifty… I can’t help it)

If you hold the T with both hands your shoulders will be pointed across the hill and your board will try and turn sideways all the way up the hill until you stack. Only hold the T-bar with your front hand and keep your back hand out behind you. This will keep your shoulders straight which will keep your board straight.

Also look only uphill at the T bar track. If you look at the towers you might hit them. Your head can turn your shoulder which turns your hips yadadada your board turns to hit the tower.

That vid is hilarious!!!!

I use one on both my boards and the same type. They have a scraper across the middle and the metal stud/nipples on it.

i don’t use stomp pads because they are pointless.. and they do nothing… my opinion

I don’t use stomp pads just because it’s not cool. I have clear nipple things on one board that I bought used and yeah it helps a bit with one-foot riding, but it’s not a huge help.
On some boards (Capita) I’ve found the topsheet to be super slippery and I’ve nearly fallen when my foot slipped. but then I just adjust.
At one resort I went to, one lift you get off and the next lift is maybe 300m away down a small hill. I used to always strap in but then I saw a buddy do it one-footed , so I tried. Sure, it’s harder but I practiced and now I can do it. If you always use ‘aids’ then it won’t push you to improve. Apply that to stomp pads. If you get used to not using one then you won’t need one, right? Then you won’t look like such a noob.

That said, Rider’s point about getting snow off your boot is a good one. I just kick the board and if it’s still stuck then I wipe the sole with my hand.

It doesn’t hurt to have em on though. Even pros use em (Scott Stevens, I saw Terje using one in one of his video part, etc2.), doesn’t make them look like a noob.

yeah, if you’re doing one-footed tricks then sure. If you’re just riding off the lift and coming to a stop….