The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Astronomy picture of the day…

This is a great thread.
great shot rider.
already looking forward to the next one smile

yeah this topic it dope, awesome pics, snowslider great link!  Jeremy i didn’t know you knew so much about nebulae!

2009 August 27

A Dark Sky Over Sequoia National Park

Credit: D. Duriscoe, C. Duriscoe, R. Pilewski, & L. Pilewski, U.S. NPS Night Sky Program

Explanation: Scroll right to take in the view from the highest summit in the contiguous USA. The above 360-degree digitally stitched panorama, taken in mid-July, shows the view from 4,400-meter high Mt. Whitney in Sequoia National Park, California. In the foreground, angular boulders populate Mt. Whitney’s summit while in the distance, just below the horizon, peaks from the Sierra Nevada mountain range are visible. Sky sights include light pollution emanating from Los Angeles and Fresno, visible just above the horizon. Dark clouds, particularly evident on the image left well above the horizon, are the remnants of a recent thunderstorm near Death Valley. High above, the band of the Milky Way Galaxy arches across the image left. Bright airglow bands are visible all over the sky but are particularly prominent on the image right. The planet Jupiter appears as the brightest point on the image left. A discerning eye can also find a faint image of the far distant Andromeda galaxy, a satellite trail, and many constellations. Today marks the 100th anniversary of the completion of the historic stone shelter on Mt. Whitney, visible toward the image right.

^^^^^

Impressive. I stood at the top of Mt. Whitney six years ago.

I used to have a 10 inch reflector telescope, and still have my handy Peterson’s star guide. Unfortunately being in the city, in Europe, you don’t get to see stars that often.

Great stuff rider.
Its crazy cos its a 360 panorama smile
Do one of them take long to put together?

These shots are all amazing!

Im a happy camper once again Jez.. Looking forward to tomorrow..

woah that was wayyyyy to big…fixed now

Wow, what is that photo even of?

Unicorns..

L.B. - 28 August 2009 07:05 PM

Unicorns..

Haha your right, that’s what it looks like!!

Unicorns.. with fairy dust..

Nah its that cool dragon from The Never Ending Story, Falkor.

Looks like a cartoon of fairies but if thats a real shot, its smashin.

It’s Real!
Eagle Nebula…contains the pillars of creation, the spire and other awe inspiring formations

apparently it’s already gone…destroyed about 6000 years ago, but we wont see it here for 1000 years.