The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Astronomy picture of the day…

I will to to update this thread daily. There are some really cool images that come through.

2009 August 24

Morning Glory Clouds Over Australia

Credit & Licence: Mick Petroff; Tip Thanks: James Holmes (Cairns)

Explanation: What causes these long, strange clouds? No one is sure. A rare type of cloud known as a Morning Glory cloud can stretch 1,000 kilometers long and occur at altitudes up to two kilometers high. Although similar roll clouds have been seen at specific places across the world, the ones over Burketown, Queensland Australia occur predictably every spring. Long, horizontal, circulating tubes of air might form when flowing, moist, cooling air encounters an inversion layer, an atmospheric layer where air temperature atypically increases with height. These tubes and surrounding air could cause dangerous turbulence for airplanes when clear. Morning Glory clouds can reportedly achieve an airspeed of 60 kilometers per hour over a surface with little discernible wind. Pictured above, photographer Mick Petroff photographed some Morning Glory clouds from his airplane near the Gulf of Carpentaria, Australia.

That is quite awesome.
When I see stuff like this, that just cant be explained, I think about how simple our minds are,
and I think about how complex and awesome God’s mind is.

Seriously, that is amazing.

I really dont want to hijack this thread, but for one picture that I would like to share.
An old photo from years ago. This town is about 2 hours from my town.

Clouds rolling in across the mountain ridge that borders the town of Bluefield, West Virginia.

Wowww. those are amazing. i’ve never seen anything like the 2 pics.

snowslider, that photo is incredible. Did you take it? Feel free to share any similar photos in this thread.

snowslider that reminds me of the movie the day after tomorrow and the big wave thingy wiping out the town. Only.. its not water… but cloud… LOL

snowcrazy - 26 August 2009 12:21 AM

snowslider that reminds me of the movie the day after tomorrow and the big wave thingy wiping out the town. Only.. its not water… but cloud… LOL

yes! ho my god. this is crazy! we think alike. i had that spastic thought for a quick few seconds and then i read the caption underneath…
words cannot express how crazy that pic looks….

Meteorological photographs of the day would be a proper thread title.

Even though it’s illegal I’d love to do multiple barrel rolls over those morning glory clouds.

I was expecting to find Stars.. and was super excited.. but those pics still blew me away.. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNgk1pEHi_Q

I love this video.. Vancouver weather is so unexpected and beautiful..

L.B. - 26 August 2009 01:50 PM

looks a hell load better than melbournes 4 seasons in 24 hours.

Homework, barrel rolls around the Morning Glory clouds with smoke behind the plane would create a super nice design… Awesome.

I diddnt take that pic. It happened years ago, the temps and climate was just right, I dont know if it ever happened again.
I knew the pic existed and I did a Google search for Bluefield rolling clouds and was lead to this site that had the pic: http://eddyduvall.com/CKuzma/page1.html

L.B. there’s no saying that Stars couldnt fit into this thread. I suppose Jeremy will post what he likes.

So with those morning glory clouds, what would that look like from underneath?

I tried to look online, but got SERIOUSLY distracted by the amazing clouds on this page…. CRAZY!!!:
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2007/04/mammatus-lenticular-other-extreme.html

I keep asking myself.. is that real?

snowslider - 26 August 2009 05:19 PM

I tried to look online, but got SERIOUSLY distracted by the amazing clouds on this page…. CRAZY!!!:
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2007/04/mammatus-lenticular-other-extreme.html

I keep asking myself.. is that real?

WOWOWWWW.
I’ve never seen anything remotely like it. those are spectacular dude.

L.B. - 26 August 2009 01:50 PM

I was expecting to find Stars.. and was super excited.. but those pics still blew me away.. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNgk1pEHi_Q

That day was unbelievable, there were so many amazing photos taken that day!! The colours from the lightning made the sky light up in purple and red. The fireworks stood out so much because of the storm. Most amazing day Vancouver has seen in a long while, and I missed it by a day!!

2009 August 26

Classic Orion Nebulae

Credit & Copyright: Kerry-Ann Lecky Hepburn (Weather and Sky Photography)

Explanation: The Great Nebula in Orion, also known as M42, is one of the most famous nebulae in the sky. The star forming region’s glowing gas clouds and hot young stars are near the center of this colorful deep sky image that includes the smaller nebula M43 and dusty, bluish reflection nebulae NGC 1977 and friends on the left. Located at the edge of an otherwise invisible giant molecular cloud complex, these eye-catching nebulae represent only a small fraction of this galactic neighborhood’s wealth of interstellar material. Captured with very modest equipment, the gorgeous skyscape was awarded Best in Show at the 2009 Starfest International Salon of Astrophotography. Judges commented that the detail and shading were exquisite in this version of a classic astronomical image. The field spans nearly 3 degrees or about 75 light-years at the Orion Nebula’s estimated distance of 1,500 light-years.

If this is yours and Michelle’s way of getting me to focus on my school work for the next couple of months.. Its working..
Morning inspiration on the bus.. Stars.. and shots from the sky..
LOVIN IT!!

This was actually my idea. Stoked you’re loving it L.B. smile

Im expecting a new one for my bus ride in the morning.. It will be a shocker of a day if its not there.. and the blame will be on you..