The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Pre-season box session - HELP

Hey guys,

Totally new to these forums, but after having a solid look through the posts over the past few days, it looks like you have a great community and lots of info which is sweet! Specifically the info on the selwyn park runs for $25 a day!

Anyway, reason for posting is: A few of my mates and I are so keen for this season we thought we would build a box and do some pre-season sessions on it. I have looked for heaps of info on the web about how to build and what materials to use which was kinda helpful. So we built the frame last weekend (pics to follow). Timber cost around $90, including the ply - all from bunnings. What I would like to ask any one with a little experience is what can we use for the top of the box? Information on the web suggests HDPE plastic sheets, and I would use this if I had the cash but at 6mm thick to cover the top of our box would cost $200approx!! Not very cost effective in my opinion.

So, has any one built a box? If so, what did you use for the top? Does anyone know of any cheap alternatives? Any information would be great. FYI - I have ‘L’ metal rails to protect the edges of the top layer if the plastic isnt the strong high density stuff.

I was thinking of somehow attaching a bunch of small PVC pipes, anyone know if this would work?
eg.

Thanks.

Pics from the construction of the box frame:

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 2b

Stage 3

FYI - Box dimensions are 2400mm(length)x400mm(width)x600mm(height). Stage 4 was completed but didnt take a pic, ply was screwed to the top and sides for support.

Hey tracvks, welcome to Boardworld!

Would perspex be a cheaper option? I’ve never built a box myself but I remember someone on here posting photos of a box they built (CRACKERS? K2?).

Maybe contact one of the guys listed below and tell them what you want to build and what the requirements are. Maybe they will be able to suggest a cheaper but workable option…

http://www.polytech.biz/art_cut.htm

http://www.plastix.com.au/

Hopefully one of the other guys will be able to help you out more than I did. Great building effort so far! Welcome to the site dude!  shaka

Hey tracvks, welcome to the community! As rider mentioned, i did look into making a box for at home/dryslope use. I ended up just using a wood bench that was already made up, and it slid reall really well. though had potential to catch an edge and dig in bad ending up in pain! I was looking at perspex tops for a while, and at Bunnings they had sheets of different types of perspex and plastics that would all be usable materials for your needs. Some were more expensive than others, but from memory none of them would have cost you anywhere near the $200 mark. I think some of them were about $30 a sheet. Varying sizes, some clear some white. Have yoy had a look yet at what they have available. Most of what they have are in large square sheets, so you will need to cut them to the size you need and put bits together.

Let us know how you go with it smile

heres a link to what my set up looked like. We used a lil soap n water to get the run in to slide, but the wood slid so much faster than I thought.

https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/627/

That’s a Howler K2!!!!! I have never seen that thread before!!!!! Love the use of the tramp!!!!!  LOL

Hey tracvks!!!!!

the project is lookin cool!!!!

Have ya tried contactin any Body Board Companies, to see how much the HDPE sheets are from them direct????

If ya near Sydney then Manta has a factory in Kirawee!!!!

Ya could also ring the guys at Nomad Body Boards if ya from Vico!!!!

Perspex might be too hard, and tend to catch and chip???? What about smoothly sanded wood, and then hot wax it before every use????

Mizu Kuma - 05 May 2011 01:48 AM

That’s a Howler K2!!!!! I have never seen that thread before!!!!! Love the use of the tramp!!!!!  LOL

What about smoothly sanded wood, and then hot wax it before every use????

Haha yeh we were very creative. Used gymastic spring boards to build the jump lip too haha.

My bench is smooth sanded wood, and very worn as its an old, school gymnastics bench so gets a lot of use. Wax on it would help too.

Mizu Kuma - 05 May 2011 01:48 AM

I just found this pic which wasnt in the thread. Shows the totally unstable unsafe set up it was haha. Bins to get up and support. We had two main planks up the length then stacked planks horizontaly to give it the solid base
LOL

Probably wouldn’t be any drama to use any thin, if ya used an old board and round the edges completely!!!!

Stepchild even make a cheap board that doesn’t have metal edges at all, designed just for this type of thing also!!!!

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the tips and info! I think we will go with perspex (hopefully cheapest option) sheeting from bunnings to trial. Will take pics of progress and let you know how it all goes.

:o K2, your run in is CRAZY. Think we are planning to use a hill and ice cleaned from the local skating rink. Again, will let you know how it all goes, hopefully with pics.

Thanks again.

we did a similar thing last year, I take no responsibility if you try this and get hurt!

mates welded a rail together about 2 metres long, splits in the middle and is easily transportable down to their holiday house down jindy. we reversed a ute halfway down a concrete driveway, built out of timber and ply a ramp off the top of the toolboxes in the back of the ute down to the concrete. then we laid fake grass from the top of the ute, down the driveway and onto his grass. We put a few bricks under the fake grass to make a little jump onto the rail. then placed the rail over the grass.

Then covered the fake grass in detergent and water, cracked a case of coopers then attempted to ride it.

a few things we learnt;

1)doing it on concrete is not a good idea(few concussions/bruises)

2)doing it on a sideways leaning slope is also not good, since you cant really turn too much you had to point at the rail and hope you didnt slide off the side

3)dont use any clothes you would like to keep afterwards.

4) Heineken would’ve been a better choice of beer

Mizu Kuma - 05 May 2011 05:28 AM

You misspelt SuperDry haha wink LOL

tracvks - 05 May 2011 06:04 AM
Mizu Kuma - 05 May 2011 05:28 AM

You misspelt SuperDry haha wink LOL

No, your not allowed to say “Shit” on here!!!!! It comes up as XXXX sometimes!!!!! Or was that ****???? Same thing anyways!!!!!  tongue wink