The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

~Winter 2011~ WHAT DO YOU NEED TO KNOW?

This year will be my 14 Australian winter season. I’ve worked almost every job there is in the snow.

With 6 weeks until the season begins I’m getting a phone call every day asking for advice and this is your chance to post YOUR questions and if I can’t answer it I’m sure someone on the forums can.

So shoot. The Boardworld knowledge bank is at your disposal.

Unlike other threads try to keep answers to a few lines

What dates are the pow days:P

How much snow will we get this year?

Is it safe to book my snow holiday for June?

Will the whole mountain be open?

I’m not a hungry fish swimming in a pond of baited hooks.

But like I say “If I don’t know the answer, I’ll make it up” 90% of the time I’m right.

Cable -
July often has a few good dumps but it’s busy so are tracked out after one run and have lots of hidden nasties underneath so I don’t consider them pow days.
Good pow days to ride will occur in August and September. They average 6.
In Thredbo there are many more as it’s the pow capital of Aust - After July 19 it will be any windy day until late Sept.

Azz -
1. Enough - but only for 10 weeks after july school holidays.
2. No (you don’t go to the snow on holidays anyway) June is terrible.

edit:  Removed sarcasm

spaz - 01 May 2011 09:51 PM

July 19 it will be any

YEW thats my birthday!!!

You should be able to swing the day off school then! Even though it’s the first day back for term 3.

haha i know first day back is a pretty day for my b’day but Meh… haha i should, go up the mountain an chill!! shaka

just skip school!

i once missed 2 weeks straight to surf epic aussie pipe. so worth it

I gave three kids a day off last season for epic pow.

We framed that attendance report, highlighting the unapproved absence. A token of an awesome day   ollie

Haha i’d love it if i could get away with that!! LOL

I’ve done the same Azz, only it wasn’t me that took a highlighter to the 5 absent days I was responsible for.

When we lived in Thredbo we had a rule: No school on snow days!!! (We used to be great parents)

If it was an absolut certainty amakat - I would be asking for it as a B’day present!!! (just include a new board to go with it wink )

is it worth going down opening weekend??

Our girls had a week off school every year for the snow!!!! Cheap, uncrowded pow pow!!!!  shaka

fatima4u - 02 May 2011 08:51 AM

is it worth going down opening weekend??

we’ll just do it anyway!

In ‘09 our kids went to school three days a fortnight, and rode every other day.

I wish my parents did that for me downer

This year they have to study hard, pointy end of high school is here.

Azz n Tambo will have kid free snow days each Thursday shaka