The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

First board, need advice for buying 2nd hand in Perth!

Hiya,

I’m a learner snowboarder and I’m planning my second trip out to the slopes in a couple of months (probably NZ). Even though I’m only gonna be spending around 5 days on the slopes this winter (hopefully more in Japan over chrissy), I was thinking of buying a second hand board to play around with. I figure it’s cheaper than hiring if I can get gear at the right price.

Being in Perth, it’s SOOO hard to find 2nd hand boards at a decent price and most things on ebay are pick-up only from VIC or $50 plus postage.

I have found a board for sale on ebay in Perth at a decent price, and was just wondering if I could get some advice on whether it would be the right size and type for someone my size and skill level. I’m 5’10 and 90kgs and really just looking for a board to use on groomed runs only. Not going to think about park or off-piste for quite some time methinks….

The board is a 161cm Rider Nation (2005) and it comes with bindings (not sure what type), helmet and goggles and is starting at $100.

Would really appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks for reading ^_^

antisense - 29 April 2011 10:28 AM

Hiya,

I’m a learner snowboarder and I’m planning my second trip out to the slopes in a couple of months (probably NZ). Even though I’m only gonna be spending around 5 days on the slopes this winter (hopefully more in Japan over chrissy), I was thinking of buying a second hand board to play around with. I figure it’s cheaper than hiring if I can get gear at the right price.

Being in Perth, it’s SOOO hard to find 2nd hand boards at a decent price and most things on ebay are pick-up only from VIC or $50 plus postage.

I have found a board for sale on ebay in Perth at a decent price, and was just wondering if I could get some advice on whether it would be the right size and type for someone my size and skill level. I’m 5’10 and 90kgs and really just looking for a board to use on groomed runs only. Not going to think about park or off-piste for quite some time methinks….

The board is a 161cm Rider Nation (2005) and it comes with bindings (not sure what type), helmet and goggles and is starting at $100.

Would really appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks for reading ^_^

[eBay link removed]

(It’s easier if we can see it.)

Positives
1. It looks like it is in decent condition.
2. Comes with bindings and a helmet
3. Close to you and cheap.
4. Ride is a solid company and should be a decent board.

Negatives
1. Bindings are cheap rental bindings that won’t help your riding (though if you were renting, they would be the same bindings…)
2. Board is too big for you. (Not by too much though but as a beginner at your side I’d look at more like a 156-158.)
3. Helmet is used. Definitely have to give it a heavy cleaning before using it.
4. Goggles are used. Never use used goggles or gloves as they are generally dirty and don’t do a good job. Do yourself a favor and spend $70-$100 on Dragon / Electric / Oakley / Anon goggles. Remember that if you can’t see, then you can’t board. They make a big difference. Gloves can be cheaper if you plan on using that pair for less than a week before you buy new ones.
5. Board is 5 years old. Hopefully it was stored correctly and there is no rust on the bottom or the timber in any cracks / blemishes hasn’t rotted.

Generally your best bet is to find something at a store or local that you can check before you buy. These guys give you an address so go check it out for rust and cracks before you buy. Check the flex as well. Try to bend it by pushing in the middle. If you can’t flex it more than 5-10cm min, than it will be too stiff for a beginner and will make it harder to learn.

If you are going to Jindabyne (NSW snowfields) then there is a notice board outside woolies which you will probably find something better from a local. (Queenstown might have one as well but I haven’t seen it.)

Hope it helps and feel free to ask more questions.

Are there any snowboard stores near you? What size boots/shoes do you usually wear?

I checked the link, the bindings look like old Burton Freestyles. Those bindings are super soft, especially for someone weighing 90kg. I’d agree with TJ on the helmet and goggles. Firstly you don’t know if the helmet would even fit you. I wouldn’t wear used goggles either; it’s not hygienic at all.

So many stores are selling 2009 and 2010 boards for 50% off. There’s certainly some bargains to grab this time of year. Also look at some of the better online stores around Australia as most of them give free shipping to anywhere in Australia. Dont forget you can also get all your tax back at the airport before you go to NZ (let me know if you need more info on this).

There’s a list of stores and links to their online stores here: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/669/

Really, I think you’ll get something much if you shop around. You can still find something that’s really good value. Don’t settle for something just because it’s there. Do your research and be willing to spend a bit more. It will pay itself off over the long term. Let me know if you need any further help.

Also see if some of these stores do Hire!!!! That way ya can ask em if they have any Ex-Hire boards for sale at a good price!!!!

The Majority of Ex-Hire Models are mainly aimed at the Novice Also!!!!

One prob that I can see with gettin a 2005 board is that the wood core has more than likely lost some/most of it’s ‘POP’, as well!!!! This is the way in which the flex of the board responds to not only how ya jump off the snow surface (Ollie), but how it reacts to the surface of the snow when linking turns etc!!!!

That board is 7 years old and an Ex-Hire might have only seen 1 or 2 seasons!!!! And if ya get to sift through them personally ya could end up with one that didn’t get a whole lotta use and abuse!!!!

If ya get a chance to go to Jindy ya will most definitely find one over there!!!!

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Unfortunately shopping for boards retail (or ex-hire) isn’t an option here in Perth. There are a couple of stores but they don’t really do deals… So my only options are second hand through ebay or gumtree etc.. Or I could just wait till I’m in the snow fields and shop around.

I’m not really super cashed up so was planning to just get a basic 2nd hand board with bindings and splash out on good boots at the start of my trip. I figure that way I could get board, bindings and good boots for around the cost of hiring for a week.

Then again…. maybe I should just hire until I can afford some decent gear smile

I didn’t think about the fact that that board is getting pretty old…..

Thanks again.

Good idea about spendin ya $$$ on boots as # 1 priority!!!!!

Maybe when ya buy ya boots, they’ll do a good deal on a second hand/ex- hire board n bindings at the same time!!!!

There’s a few Kiwi’s on here, so I reckon that if ya start another thread maybe “Best Place To Buy A Good 2ND Hand Board In NZ”, then ya bound to get some good info on where to head to as soon as ya touch ground in the Land of the Long White Cloud!!!!!

Just to throw it out there, any good snowboard store in Australia has an online store. They will nearly always give free shipping in Australia. They all have sales on right now and there’s some real bargains going around. Don’t forget you’ll get another 9.09% off (tax back) when you leave for NZ.

Here’s just a few to look at…

http://www.stmonline.com.au
http://www.ballistyx.com.au
http://www.balmoralboards.com.au
http://www.snowbiz.com.au
http://www.onetrackmind.com.au
http://www.rhythm.net.au

And more. Definitely worth checking them out.

So the general consensus seems to be that spending money on an old 05 model is probably not such a good idea….

@Rider26 cheers for the links.. there certainly are some good deals around. I guess if I spend 300-350 I could get a 2009/2010 model rocker with bindings… I think I just have to start saving… How long do the sales normally go on for? Do you think they’d all be over in a months time?

I wish someone offer 18 months interest free wink

^_^

Most stores have a layby option if you need it (no interest charged but you won’t get your gear till the final payment is made). That would be the best option for you anyway if you want your tax back (final payment must be made within 30 days of you leaving the country to be eligible for duty free). Call around and see if they will let you layby something over the phone and still get the free delivery. I’m fairly certain STM would do that for you, as well as other stores. Don’t quote me on it though. raspberry

Most these sales on previous year’s models would go on till the stock is sold. But the longer you leave it the less choice you will have.

Hey I was in ESS Parramatta last week buying a board and there was a nitro haze snowboard 2010 for $500 that included burton freestyle bindings. Im not sure that this board is right for you, however get in contact with the boardworld shops as they have heaps of these combo deals on atm

I work at STM and we send a lot of snowboarding gear to Perth/WA and all purchases over $50 get free shipping. It is a tough one to buy onlne due to the fact of not being in person. Asking the questions and giving as close to honest answer as possible will assure you a closer to correct buy.

Snowboarding equipment is not cheap but if you have fun snowboarding the cost is not going to be in the big picture. Getting on a board makes that all disappear I feel. If you give all the information you need to buy something you will usually get a purchase you are happy with and will use for a few years.

Any questions with sending boards feel free to PM me.

Thanks CJ,

Unfortunately I really am limited financially and even though there are some awesome sales online on last years boards, they are still outa my price range. Actually there’s a couple of bargain ex rentals on ebay atm, like this one [eBay link removed]

By the price it’s probably pretty beat-up, but then again a few chips and scratches don’t really bother me if it’s gonna perform well. Only issue I can see is that I’m gonna have to find some bindings for it through ebay too…

Anyway, thanks again for your help ^_^

CJ, are there any ex-rental boards/bindings at STM at the moment that would be suitable? I remember seeing some boards around the $150 mark. Let us know.

Yes that is true, they are the plain white ex-rental boards. I think there may be some bindings that are for sale as well.

I will check today at work and post later on.

Naww you guys are tops smile

I should probably post my stats….

I’m 178cm and 90kg with 26.5cm feet (not sure what snowboard boot size), so not sure if I should go for a wide waist board or just standard.

It seems that ebay links are a no-no, so sorry bout that. I’ll refrain from posting any others..

Cheers, ^_^