The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Gnu Park Pickle VS Lib Tech Skate Banana

Hey I am still looking to get a new board for the upcoming season and the next northern hemisphere season. Am looking at either of these boards. Thought I would get the best I could afford in hope that it will last me a long time. I will be using the board for park/ all mtn/ powder (hopefully) Riding in remarkables, cardrona, and coronet in the south season along with thredbo and perisher maybe. My height is 172cm and boot size 9.5US. I have done around three weeks of snowboarding all up. I am pretty keen on these boards but I want to know is are they pretty much the same snowboard?

I think someone has done a thread on this before.
The Park Pickle has a asym heel cut and is a bit softer than the Banana. Both of them have a sintered base so are quick. Only down side of the full rocker is the fact it gets a bit lose on a straight line run. Other than that you will have lots of fun with it for park and powder.
How much do you weight by the way?

Ok thanks did a search and found it

Yo Red,
CJ had it right minus a couple of things.Mervin boards change flex as they get bigger..ie the range of the Pickle is 5.5 for the 147 up to 6.5 for the 159W. The range for the Skate Banana is 5 for the 148 up to 6 for the 159W. So actually the Pickle is slightly more stiff..but they are comparable. As mentioned before there is an asymetric sidecut on the heelside of the Pickle but what is less known is that the core is actually softer on the heelside too. All this equates to wicked heelside turns.
Both boards will shred almost anything. If you are after more stability at high speeds look for something with C2 or rocker/camber combo..such as the TRS/JAMIE/ATTACK BANANA/RIDERS CHOICE. These boards are $100 more ($799) but will really cover even more distance as far as progressing your riding and you will never need to upgarde to a more “responsive” one.

Thanks for that, I have decided to go with the help from my local board shop and have purchased a board from them (ESS). Thanks for the info though because my mate is going to buy a banana or a pickle.

very cool that a Lib rep has come on this forum. Welcome to Boardworld!

Yeah cool!!!!!

Sorry to hijack ya thread red, but while stockstandard is here…..........

If I was to get a TRS C2 POWER BANANA, what is ya recommendation on size for me?????

I am weighin in at around 88KG stand at 182CM ride with a L FLUX Binding that holds a US10 Vans BFB!!!!!

While I’d love to take it to Japow every year, it will only get to see the Aussie Slush for the majority of it’s life!!!!!

162 or 167???? Currently on a DC 160 HKD!!!! (I know that you’ll be sayin the 167 Gamblor, but I just wanted to hear SS’s opinion!!!!)  shaka

Also the GNU Riders Choice as compared to the TRS!!!!! Stiffest????

167??? in this day and age? 162 for you mizu

Gamblor - 27 April 2011 04:57 AM

167??? in this day and age? 162 for you mizu

Ahh, a bet each way???? “Gamblor”!!!!!  wink

Glad to be of service guys. Boardworld is a premium site.
Mizu..I would seriously consider the 159. The 162 will easily get you there..but as Gamblor said..“in this day and age”.
I’m just on 70kgs and i have been riding the 151 for last season and just returned from three weeks in the states riding up to waist deep pow on the sucker. Totally wide and ducked out. No shit.
For the “slush” that is the main conditions you will be using it in..perfect. Go to Japow..still good to go. Set it back a couple of inches.
By moving from the 162 to 159 you are going from a flex of 7 to a flex of 6..better again in the pow.
Riders Choice in a 161.5 and TRS 162 are the same flex..7.
The days of long boards in the pow are over. Long sticks will always rule the pow..but then what? Your not hucking a corked 7 in the park on a 170.
Ride pow and the park on the same board.
Thats the future and the now! cheese

Cheers for the feedback SS!!!!  shaka

So cool to have a rep from lib tech giving feedback!!

I demoed the TRS and really liked it, Mizu.

How do ya rate it up against ya Burton Dan???? IYHO!!!!

Been riding a 159 banana at almost 6’3” and 110kgs.  Very keen to get on a riders choice 162 wide this year, was looking at the TRice but don’t think the waist width is enough, thinking I want something around 265mm for my size 12’s.  My point being if I can ride a 159 at 110kgs, the OP will have no dramas.  I’m trying to talk a mate of ine into a skunk ape, he’s a bit bigger than me and doesn’t ride switch.

Mizu Kuma - 27 April 2011 10:49 AM

How do ya rate it up against ya Burton Dan???? IYHO!!!!

Honestly, I didn’t get to ride it long enough to fully compare them. It’s definitely a board I would like to try again.

It felt a bit grippier on hard pack/ice, so it seemed the magnatraction worked pretty well. But it also felt like the magnatraction was slowing the board down when edging during a turn. However, when I looked at the base of the board I realised the edges of the base were ridiculously dry so that probably was affecting the ride of the board, and prob slowing it down considerably too. I also was not too keen on the Mission bindings that I had to use with the board.

I overall liked the flex, which seemed a tad softer than the Trice, which I also tried.

So yeah, definitely a board I want to try again, and this time with bindings I like and with a board that doesn’t look like it has never been waxed! Of the several boards I tried while in Canada (not inc mine), my initial reaction was that it was probably the one I overall liked the most and would consider buying.