The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

The ASHES ARE STARTING :D!!!!

Watson out LBW - he rode his luck today - he should have been LBW about 3 times ....

Ponting just got bowled also - didn’t look very comfortable today unfort :(

Yeah, those LBW decisions will just be somethign for the english fans to complain about. Ponting was unfortunate to go out so quickly and just didn’t look right today as you said.

Theres always something for the poms to complain about so dont fret.

Australia had one bad night :(
England’s looking like winners at this stage Australia’s batting was just sad.
Hopefully they can pull off a draw now.

A draw is unlikely - rain does not appear to be forecast either.  Only way for the aussies is to bowl the poms out cheaply and hope to god they can score the 250-350….on a turning track like this one, it will take alot of luck.

mmm…I am inclined to agree with you there kort…we need a REALLY good first session today, or else it might be going the way of the *cough*pitchdoctoring*cough* poms…

They can defend it all they want, but when a county game not 2 weeks ago ends with 1300 runs and under 10 wickets, you can (almost) be allowed to expect a pitch similar in nature to be prepared for a TEST match…not a half-baked pitch that is basically ruined after 2 days…having said that we did bat like headless chicken…

BUT that’s just my jibe at the poms for the day…hopefully we roll them quicksmart and won’t have to worry about it…

Whether the poms did doctor the wicket or not is irrelevant now. The fact is both sides had to bat and bowl on the pitch and from the scoreboard, the poms have done it alot better then the aussies.

The poms might have prepared a “result” pitch but it wasn’t playing to the pom’s strength - Hauritz had a taken more wickets then Swan in the series, so to prepare a turner would have been a gamble for England. Turns out it was the right move, because the aussies didn’t pick their spinner.

Lunchtime now and the aussies need a miracle. They couldn’t survive 3 sessions in the 1st dig, so I doubt they are going to last much longer at the 2nd go…..

spot on kort…however unfortunate that may be raspberry I think I was just in a sulking mood…

And I think you are right about the chance of Australia lasting any stretch of time too…however, stranger things have happened…(clutching at straws here…)

I’m almost thinking the longer England bat, the better it is for Australia, as far as length of time batting-wise goes…

Bring the freakish monsoonal rain smile

no worries b! I have been bit whingey myself wink

The weather for London appears to pretty dry for the next few days, however Uk weather can be fickle! I wouldn’t be counting on the weather though. Given this is only day 3, it fair to say time shouldn’t be a factor (if the weather forecast stays as is!)

Bummer….....

Aus has lost 1st placing :(

I always regarded Australia as really good at Cricket, Swimming (michael thorpe) and rugby, but i guess i’m a bit out of date. Perhaps someone could help me out with updating my list? Thanks guys.

oh NOW they come out of the woodworks raspberry

haha nah from a non-Australian patriotic point of view, it was good to see Freddy get a good send off from test cricket, and really we didn’t play well enough when it counted to win the series…ie last session in Cardiff, 1st innings at the Oval, and the entire Lord’s test…

It has been said in a number of places that if stats were the determining factor in winning a test series then Australia would have won at a canter, however I think this is a classic example to use to prove that stats never mean everything, and sometimes don’t mean anything at all…

I personally enjoyed watching the series, however frustrating a lot of it was, and really I think if you watched it with the thought that the Australian cricket team may (will) go through a tough period over the next few years, rather than comparing it to series’ of the past, then it was a bit more enjoyable…Unfortunately for Australian cricket at the moment, this tough period that a lot of the younger population who have grown up with Australia dominating the world will not be used to, may (unfortunately) turn a lot of them off watching/playing cricket altogether…I hope the latter part of that is not the case, however it may have to be the case, at least for a couple of years while the next generation of potential stars work their way in and hopefully reach half of the lofty heights set by the McGrath/Warne/Waugh’s of the previous era…

aus used to be the pinnacle of cricket a few years back and now…
dont worry though, we’re sort of in a tough time but we’ll bounce back smile

Aidy - 27 August 2009 03:40 PM

I always regarded Australia as really good at Cricket, Swimming (michael thorpe) and rugby, but i guess i’m a bit out of date. Perhaps someone could help me out with updating my list? Thanks guys.

Who the hell is Michael Thorpe?!